BabuK

JF-Expert Member
Jul 30, 2008
headline_bullet.jpg
Says he will never condone corruption, unethical practice

headline_bullet.jpg
Lowassa, Sumaye, Mbowe, Mbatia: No comment for now

slaa-sept2-2015.jpg

Former Chadema Secretary General Dr Wilbroad Slaa addresses news conference in Dar es Salaam yesterday on his weeks of absence from political forums.

The former secretary general of the opposition Chama Cha Demokrasia na Maendeleo (Chadema), Dr Wilbroad Slaa, has declared that he will no longer take part in party politics.

He made the declaration at a news conference in Dar es Salaam yesterday that lasted over two hours, spending the time seeking to show that Chadema presidential candidate former Prime Minister Edward Lowassa is corrupt and therefore unreliable as a leader.

"I have decided to quit party politics after differing with my fellow Chadema officials over their decision to allow Lowassa into the party after some of my views were ignored," said Dr Slaa.

He admitted having participated in welcoming Lowassa to the party, adding that (as secretary general) he gave conditions that were however not fulfilled, "and instead the party leadership took Lowassa on board".
The conditions included ensuring that Lowassa publicly announced why he quit CCM and issuing a public statement on all corruption allegations levelled against him – among them the Richmond emergency power generation controversy.

"I also wanted to know if Lowassa was an asset or liability and if he could add value to Chadema. I asked for a list of CCM cadres who would join our party alongside the former Prime Minister, but to no avail," said Dr Slaa.

He said other Chadema officials appeared to be in a hurry and did not allow some of those conditions to be fulfilled and instead they went ahead and embraced Lowassa.

"The Chadema officials told me that Lowassa would join the party accompanied by 20 CCM regional chairpersons, 50 CCM members of parliament and 88 CCM district chairpersons," he said.
Dr Slaa said he asked the Chadema central committee to hand over the names of the said MPs before CCM's nominations took place, "but the condition was not met".

"Allegations call only for reasonable doubt and not necessarily absolute doubt to merit further action, and the government was supposed to respond to the allegations levelled against Lowassa and act accordingly," he said.

Dr Slaa also touched on former Prime Minister Frederick Sumaye who, like Lowassa, has ditched CCM for the Coalition of People's Constitution (Ukawa). The umbrella group brings together opposition parties Chadema, Civic United Front, NCCR-Mageuzi and National League for Democracy.

He described Sumaye as "as much of a liability than an asset to Chadema as I am sure Lowassa is".
Dr Slaa went on to say he was saddened seeing Chadema continue to take on board CCM "rejects, most of them many of them corrupt political failures".

Chadema national Chairman Freeman Mbowe and his NCCR-Mageuzi and counterpart, James Mbatia, would not be drawn into commenting on Dr Slaa's pronouncements – only saying they would do so at a news conference to be held "soon". Both are Ukawa co-chairmen.

Sumaye likewise said he was not in a position to comment, promising to give a clarification "later" – as did a spokesman for Lowassa, Aboubakar Liongo.

Registrar of Political Parties Judge Francis Mutungi would not comment on reports that Dr Slaa was currently in possession of CCM and Chadema membership cards.

Mbowe admitted last month having differed with Dr Slaa on whether to accept Lowassa as a Chadema member, much less presidential candidate.
Mbowe dismissed as "baseless" suggestions that Dr Slaa had decided to sit by the fence in protest against attempts to allow Lowassa to join Chadema. He said his secretary general was fully in support of whatever the party was out to do and would issue a public statement to that effect "soon".

Speaking during the party's General Council meeting in Dar es Salaam, Mbowe said: "We started (alongside) Dr Slaa the plans to invite Lowassa to join our party but, as we were approaching the end, he differed with us."

"Dr Slaa is now on leave but is expected to attend the party's ongoing meetings, including the Central Committee meeting scheduled for today," he declared at the time, just before Chadema's presidential hopeful and his running mate were picked.
"Members of the Central Committee and I have personally talked to him (Dr Slaa) and we have agreed to let Lowassa and other CCM cadres to cross over to Chadema, believing that their coming is God's plan," said Mbowe.

"It is impossible to satisfy everyone's interests 100 per cent so any decision made by the central committee and other party organs should be respected," he added.

"The party cannot shelve preparations for the coming General Election just because of personal interests. Time and tide wait for no man," he noted, adding: "We granted him (Dr Slaa) leave to pave way for the continuation of the meetings but it should be known that his position as Chadema Secretary General is still intact."

But at yesterday's news conference, Dr Slaa denied having been "on leave" or having been "influenced" into taking exception to the decisions by his colleagues – the Chadema top brass.

SOURCE: THE GUARDIAN

But the behavior of preaching about fear is the idea of Capitalism,which worrify exploited class and forget to struggle for their justice!

Back
Top Bottom