Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God

Sosoma Jr

JF-Expert Member
Aug 7, 2020
"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me."
John 14:1.

The Teacher said to leave, so they left unwillingly. From a practical perspective, this was the worst time to leave the crowd. The Teacher had just fed thousands with a boy's lunch. Now the disciples could see the exciting possibilities everyone wanted to make Him king! They had everything to gain by staying, everything to lose by leaving.

Straining, they shoved the old, familiar boat into the lake. A dozen disappointed men slogged through the water's edge and scrambled into the boat, wondering. The Teacher just didn't make sense. Why would He send them away now?

Rowing across the lake, their limp sails soon caught a gust of wind. The men relaxed and smiled as the wind took over their work. Scattered clouds gathered, bunched up like fists and darkened. The wind whistled and whipped the sails. The sun sank below the horizon and the waves sloshed into the boat.
Where was the shore?

The storm beat the small boat without mercy. Blown and tossed by the wind, the night black, waves crashing over the boat, the men tasted raw fear: they could all drown!

In the darkness, a flash of lightning revealed the impossible an eerie figure walked toward them on the water! "It's a ghost!" they yelled. Terror knifed through their hearts. Was this the spirit of death signaling their doom?

The water walker turned toward the boat. He spoke, "Take courage. It is I. Don't be afraid!" The twelve knew the voice. They knew the face. It was their Teacher! It was Jesus.

The disciples were eager for Jesus to join them in the boat. He had made a blind man see and a dead man live. With Him in the boat, they would be safe.

One man dared to believe the impossible. He left the boat to join Jesus right where He was. Peter shouted to the Teacher over the howling of the wind, "Lord, if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water!" Peter stands, lurching toward the edge of the boat. Clawing hands try to pull him back, keep him down. Sane voices challenge him to stay where he is, to do nothing foolish and to hold onto something he can trust.

The Teacher's words are like a trumpet blast across the waves, "Come!" Eleven watch. Peter jumps out of the boat and walks on water! Peter's eyes are on Jesus. He walks where no mere man has ever walked before.

But then Peter shifts his gaze to the wind whipped waves. Losing his focus on Jesus, he hurtles down as if sucked into a sink hole. "Lord, save me!" he screams. Instantly the Teacher reaches out and pulls him to his feet. Jesus looks deep into his eyes and asks, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"

Jesus helps Peter into the boat. The storm is silenced. Quiet reigns over the sea. The clouds roll back. The sails sag. The twelve, voices hoarse with strain and awe, breathe the words, "Truly You are the Son of God!"

MENTORING MOMENTS (PART 1 ).
1. Think of someone you trust. Why do you trust him? or her?

2. Read Matthew 14:22-33. What does this story teach you about trusting Jesus?

3. How do you trust Jesus? Here are some practical steps in growing to trust Jesus:

(a) Romans 10:17 Read the Bible. Your faith will increase.

(b) Mark 9:24 Ask God to help you with your un belief.

(c) James 2:17; Joshua 3:13-17 When you know God's will, act on it!

4. What would your life look like if you trusted Jesus completely? Think of something in your life that you would like to trust completely with Jesus. Choose to trust Him.

MENTORING MOMENTS (PART 2).
Discover the joy and peace of trusting your life and future with Jesus completely. Here are five steps to trusting your life and eternal life with Jesus:

1. Read Romans 5:7, 8: 38, 39. Be sure that you are unconditionally loved by God.

2. Read Romans 3:23; 6:23. Be sure you need Jesus as your Savior.

3. Read Romans 6:23 (last part); John 3:16; Eph. 2:8, 9. Be sure that Jesus offers you eternal life as a gift when you believe in Him as your Savior.

4. Read 1 John 1:9 Be sure that Jesus gives you a clean heart.

5. Read Revelation 3:20 Be sure that Jesus will come into your life as you surrender your control and invite Him to come and be your LIFE.

Friend, I remember when I did not have peace with God about my salvation. I would worry about whether I was good enough. I focused more on what I was doing instead of what Jesus gas done and is doing for me.

When I was in high school someone took the time to help me trust in Jesus and what He had done for me on the cross. I was shown some of the very Bible texts that I have just shared with you. When I read 1 John 5:13, God made me so happy! I was excited to learn that I could KNOW that I had eternal life through Jesus!

Being sure that Jesus has given me the free gift of salvation has filled me with much more love for Him. Because of what He has done for me, I want to serve Him. I want to obey Him. He has given me more than I could ever give Him!

Friend, thank Jesus for loving you just the way you are! Nothing can separate you from His love. It is unconditional. He loves you so much He will help you be all you can be! So run to Him.

Thank Jesus for dying in your place and taking the penalty for your sins. Tell Him that you believe that what He did for you is a gift you receive.

Ask Jesus to forgive you for your sins. He will! He will give you a new heart and fresh start. So invite Jesus right now to come into your life and be your LIFE.

God bless you.

Back
Top Bottom