Countries have greatness through the use of youths as a mechanism for economy and political freedom

Ben Saanane

JF-Expert Member
Jan 18, 2007
A youth is any matured person between the ages of 18-35 years old. In any organization community or society where there is no youth, then it's succeeding without the pillars of youths. Youth are meant to be the growth of any gathering which the future of such gathering depends on the present youths.

So many countries are not economically stable, not political strong and slow in developing because they have failed to realize the roles the youths have to play for the nation's upliftment. The old leaders are sometimes weak, slow in creating ideas and don't have encouraging programs for the future leaders.

There is a saying that children and youths are the leaders of tomorrow, (As opposed to the Inspirational Slogan of chama cha Demokrasia na maendeleo-CHADEMA "Vijana ni Taifa la Leo or Vijana ni nguvu ya mabadiliko) but they can't be good leaders if their nation doesn't give them solid educational foundation to be good leaders. I believe capable and patriotic Youths have to be contributing to the nations development and politics, so that there can be programs to suit everybody.

In America , youths contribute to nation's development because there is a youth parliament where youth leaders bring suggestions and ideas for their nation. Also, there is an America-British youth congress where youths of both places solve political and economical issues. Youths are naturally inclined and fast learning in researches and issues concerning them and their nation.

Elders think youths belong to secret societies which they think youths are not matured, not honest, inexperience, not good in managing fund. But all secret societies are headed by elders.

John f. Kennedy became a president in his youth age; he became the youngest president America ever had made the best president in American history. He believed not what his country can do for him but what he can do for his country. He was 30 years old when he became a senate, and was 34 when he became a president. He did in 3 yrs what other president would have done in so many years. He brought equal right in blacks and whites and also brought peace between USA and other countries after the World War II.

A good leader starts his journey of achieving a goal at his youth age. Just like nelson Mandela, at the age of 29 he was the founding member of the African national congress youth league. He also has a dream to fulfill his destiny. Today he is a major figure of a good African leader.

United States youngest ambassador was the ambassador to the Soviet Union . She was 10 yrs old when she was made an ambassador. With the help of her 29 years old mother she stopped the war in Soviet Union by letting them know that God made the world for us to live at and not fight. In Tanzania, Distinguished Ambassador Dr. Salim Ahmed Salim became an ambassador at 22 years old.

Martin Luther king jr, was 33 years old when he led the blacks to an open air speech which also brought equal rights between blacks and whites. He was also the youngest man to have received the Nobel peace prize.

Youths should be given a chance in nation's development because our elders also started as a youths too. Youths should be involved in regional, national and international processes. Youths can make positive significant contribution to any organization or contribution they belong to. So many world changers started their mission in their youthful age, which today they are famous.

John f. Kennedy became a president in his youth age; he became the youngest president America ever had made the best president in American history. He believed not what his country can do for him but what he can do for his country. He was 30 years old when he became a senate, and was 34 when he became a president. He did in 3 yrs what other president would have done in so many years. He brought equal right in blacks and whites and also brought peace between USA and other countries after the World War II.

Kabla sijachangia mkuu nina point of correction. Kennedy was 43 when he was sworn into office. He was born on 29th May 1917 and sworn in on 20th of January 1961.

O.k. now back to the topic at hand my friend. You have given good examples of people who achieved great things while in their youth. I think the perfect example for as Tanzanians would be Julius Kambarake Nyerere, the first president of the United Republic of Tanzania. I will use the example of Nyerere because I believe we should find examples of our own people to give as inspiration like in the case of Salim Ahmed Salim that you gave above.

Julius Nyerere was born on 13th April 1922. In 1953 at the age of 31 he was elected president of the Tanganyika Africa Association (TAA) which was a predecessor to the TANU party that was to follow in 1954. In 1960 at the age of 38 he was elected the chief minister of the Colonial Legislative council. On the 9th of December 1961 at the age of 38 he became the first Prime Minister of Tanganyika. A year later at the age of 39 (now the law states that to be president you must be at least 40) he became the President of Tanganyika and subsequently the president of Tanzania in 1964.

So Mwalimu Nyerere was the president of the biggest political party by the time he was 31 and the head of a country by the time he was 38. To me that is nothing short of extra ordinary because there were many men older than he was, more experienced than he was but they all decided to place the fate of their independence struggle at the hands of a young man.

Now back to the case you are making. My friend the problem is not that we the youth are not given the opportunities, it is that we the youth sit and complain everyday praying and hoping that the old guard will just retire and leave the openings for us. Just like them we must earn those positions. Not that I am a fan of JK but if you track his political journey you will see how far he has come. Nothing was just simply handed. Nobody came and told them that here is power, take it.

We the youth present the largest social group in the country. According to the CIA, Tanzania's median age is 17.8. The older generation may have the advantage of higher positions and more wealth but we the youth can more than make up for it by our numbers. So why don't we see more youths running for office? Why don't we see more youths taking part in business. Why are the youths so unaware of everything?

So if you look deep down into it the problem is not that we the youth a fed the lie of "Vijana ni taifa la kesho". The problem is that we do not know our own strengths. We do not take changes while there is no better time to take chances then when you are a youth. We do not ente rpolitics and business because we feel that is the sphere of the older generation.

So my friend if we as youths are going to make a difference the challenge is not changing how the older generation views us but the real challenge is changing how we view ourselves. Sadly the few youths we do have in high positions have done little to nothing at all to promote youth awareness. They do not want to tell other young people that they can also do it because those youths in positions want to be seen as exceptional, that they are doing things no other youths can.

Now my friend let's discuss and you tell me how we can change the mentality of the youth and how we can change this country.

MwanaFalsafa1,

Thank you for you contribution,i really appreciate!

Youths should given the change to exhibits what they have offer the nation. All over the world it is a known and proven fact that countries have greatness through the use of youths as a mechanism for economy and political freedom. For example, youths in the private sector of the economy are performing wonderfully well in their numerous endeavours. Our old leaders must realises that the development of any country demands largely on the amount of chances the old generation is willing to give to the younger generation which is the youths.

I do agree with you,If youth want to bring a change in the society they must aim at eradicating corruption or to clean the whole system, then they have to take the first step. The Elders should Encourage them instead of discourage the youths.We have to employ youth ability in the overall development of Tanzania

We should Mobilize-All-partisan network should be dedicated to educating, empowering, and energizing young people to increase our civic engagement and political participation not only as a voting block but also Grooming the Leaders .

We Create social support to strengthen
families and fostering a spirit of shared responsibility and community.

Bring all voices into the public dialogue.We should press on the establishment of the structure through which high school students will have their opinions heard on issues concerning themselves and their peers

Captains and Titans of private and public corporations,government parastatals sholud be encouraged to have confidence in youths and youths should be encourage to take bold steps in order to exploit the available opportunities Agressively

Back
Top Bottom