Astronomers reveal 'largest yellow star ever'

Makanyaga

JF-Expert Member
Sep 28, 2007

March 13, 2014 2:56 AM

.View photo

A European Southern Observatory photo shows the HR 5171, the brightest star just below the centre of this wide-field image, which is a yellow hypergiant, a very rare type of star with only a dozen known in our galaxy, March 10, 2014 (AFP Photo/Digitized Sky Survey 2)

Washington (AFP) - Astronomers have spotted the largest yellow star ever observed in our galaxy and 1,300 times larger than the sun.

The yellow hypergiant star HR 5171 A is also in the top-10 of the largest stars known and about one million times brighter than the sun, Olivier Chesneau, whose team made the discovery, said Wednesday.
Despite its great distance of nearly 12,000 light-years from earth, the object can just about be seen with the naked eye.
"The new observations also showed that this star has a very close binary partner, which was a real surprise," said Chesneau, of the Observatoire de la Cote d'Azur, in Nice, France.
"The two stars are so close that they touch and the whole system resembles a gigantic peanut."
His team estimated the star is 50 percent larger than the famous red supergiant Betelgeuse.
Yellow hypergiants are very rare, with only a dozen or so known in our galaxy.
HR 5171 A has been getting bigger over the last 40 years, cooling as it grows, the astronomers said.
Chesneau and an international team used a Very Large Telescope Interferometer (VLTI) of the European Southern Observatory in Paranal, Chile.
A technique called interferometry combines light collected from multiple individual telescopes to effectively create a giant telescope up to 140 metres (460 feet) in size.

Source:Astronomers reveal 'largest yellow star ever'

March 13, 2014 2:56 AM

.View photo

A European Southern Observatory photo shows the HR 5171, the brightest star just below the centre of this wide-field image, which is a yellow hypergiant, a very rare type of star with only a dozen known in our galaxy, March 10, 2014 (AFP Photo/Digitized Sky Survey 2)

Washington (AFP) - Astronomers have spotted the largest yellow star ever observed in our galaxy and 1,300 times larger than the sun.

The yellow hypergiant star HR 5171 A is also in the top-10 of the largest stars known and about one million times brighter than the sun, Olivier Chesneau, whose team made the discovery, said Wednesday.
Despite its great distance of nearly 12,000 light-years from earth, the object can just about be seen with the naked eye.
"The new observations also showed that this star has a very close binary partner, which was a real surprise," said Chesneau, of the Observatoire de la Cote d'Azur, in Nice, France.
"The two stars are so close that they touch and the whole system resembles a gigantic peanut."
His team estimated the star is 50 percent larger than the famous red supergiant Betelgeuse.
Yellow hypergiants are very rare, with only a dozen or so known in our galaxy.
HR 5171 A has been getting bigger over the last 40 years, cooling as it grows, the astronomers said.
Chesneau and an international team used a Very Large Telescope Interferometer (VLTI) of the European Southern Observatory in Paranal, Chile.
A technique called interferometry combines light collected from multiple individual telescopes to effectively create a giant telescope up to 140 metres (460 feet) in size.

Source:Astronomers reveal 'largest yellow star ever'
The yellow Sun's location must be Supermans heavens (joke)!! Seriously, i noticed they said its expanding So the star is in its dying stages ryt? If so whats its final stage will it cool down to a white dwarf or explode to a black hole? Always fascinated wit astronomy i must say

The yellow Sun's location must be Supermans heavens (joke)!! Seriously, i noticed they said its expanding So the star is in its dying stages ryt? If so whats its final stage will it cool down to a white dwarf or explode to a black hole? Always fascinated wit astronomy i must say

Good Guy,
I have no idea about that. I just happen to have an ethusiasm in following events related to astronomy but I'm not a proessional on the discipline. Thanx for your curiosity as well as the alert and will come back to you just in case I get anything interesting especially which might be related to the puzzle you have posed here

Good Guy,
I have no idea about that. I just happen to have an ethusiasm in following events related to astronomy but I'm not a professional on the discipline. Thanx for your curiosity as well as the alert and will come back to you just in case I get anything interesting especially which might be related to the puzzle you have posed here

Please do post back anythng brother, always love ur posts though u may think they go unnoticed. I always go through em japo sometime they slip me by, but a tag everynow nd then would be appreciated. Cheers mate

The greatness of God will continue being revealed,and yet scientists have not touched even a single realiaty of the truth relevant to the entire fact of universe's creation,the huge secret on it is still kept by God himself.

Ebwanaeeeeeh hatar sana hii maambo,
Nlichotegemea hapo kabla ni kuwa kama kuna nyota ambayo ukubwa wake ni x2 ya ukubwa wa jua, basi hata mwanga wake utakua x2 ya mwanga wa jua
Nlichoona hapa ni tofauti na nlichokua nafikiria
Hii nyota ina ukubwa x1300 ya ule wa jua na mwanga wake ni x1,000,000. Ya ule wa jua
Naomba mnieleweshe wakuu juu ya hili

Cc Monstgala

.made in mby city.

Ebwanaeeeeeh hatar sana hii maambo,
Nlichotegemea hapo kabla ni kuwa kama kuna nyota ambayo ukubwa wake ni x2 ya ukubwa wa jua, basi hata mwanga wake utakua x2 ya mwanga wa jua
Nlichoona hapa ni tofauti na nlichokua nafikiria
Hii nyota ina ukubwa x1300 ya ule wa jua na mwanga wake ni x1,000,000. Ya ule wa jua
Naomba mnieleweshe wakuu juu ya hili

Cc Monstgala

.made in mby city.

It is not necessarily that the size of a star increase with its light or luminosity, ie. the bigger the brighter. Though that might be the case for some stars but not always. There are several factors that affect the luminosity of a star. Even some very small in size stars which form after supernovae can sometimes be brighter than many larger in size stars out there. The space is full of surprises and much more to learn. Some stars might be brighter due to their composition, meaning that the radioactivity going on there are releasing large amount of energy and therefore brightness that we see/measure.

It is not necessarily that the size of a star increase with its light or luminosity, ie. the bigger the brighter. Though that might be the case for some stars but not always. There are several factors that affect the luminosity of a star. Even some very small in size stars which form after supernovae can sometimes be brighter than many larger in size stars out there. The space is full of surprises and much more to learn. Some stars might be brighter due to their composition, meaning that the radioactivity going on there are releasing large amount of energy and therefore brightness that we see/measure.

Ahsante mkuu Monstgala kwa reply yako
Mkuu kutokana na heading ya mtoa maada hapo juu " ASTRONOMERS REVEAL LARGEST YELLOW STAR EVER"
ametumia neno YELLOW STAR kuweza kudescribe rangi ya nyota, hapo inaonesha wazi kuwa kuna nyota za rangi tofautitofauti
I.e. Blue, red,green (not sure if i'm correct)
Je nyota zina rangi??
Jua letu lina rangi gani??
Nini kisababishi cha nyota kua na rangi??

.made in mby city.

What amaze me ni hiyo midoti kwenye picha, yaaaan nimeshangazwa haswaaa, hakika nimeshangazwa na madoti mingi mnoooooo

Back
Top Bottom