“A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.”

Mbase1970

JF-Expert Member
Jun 11, 2015
William Shakespeare was a visionary man who led a visionary life through his plays. He wrote about the blood, guts, and glory of life, as well as the heart, love and sweet side of it. The quote above on the heading is one of many quotes that speak loudly to our heart and soul. So what did he really mean by “A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.”?

People who believe they know everything will refuse to listen to, learn from, or take advice from anyone else -- even if that other person is obviously smarter -- because, again, they believe they already know everything. However, a wise person recognizes that he'll never know everything about everything, so he'll go out and constantly try to learn more, so he gets wiser and wiser.

Learning never end. That's what this quote emphasizes upon. Go and search, travel around so you learn more. This quote basically compares two characters broadly in this world. One who thinks himself as wise, knows every thing, and second one as fool, learns and searches till his last breadth. People who think they know everything will end up looking stupid, but if you realize that you can never stop learning, you are wise.

This quote should always be an inspirational to all our leaders be it those in Government or those in politics, they should always know that they are not smarter than people they lead.

The room is open to the Literature experts to define the meaning of this Quote from one the highly respected Great Thinker, Writer, Poet and Actor.

William Shakespeare was a visionary man who led a visionary life through his plays. He wrote about the blood, guts, and glory of life, as well as the heart, love and sweet side of it. The quote above on the heading is one of many quotes that speak loudly to our heart and soul. So what did he really mean by “A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.”?

People who believe they know everything will refuse to listen to, learn from, or take advice from anyone else -- even if that other person is obviously smarter -- because, again, they believe they already know everything. However, a wise person recognizes that he'll never know everything about everything, so he'll go out and constantly try to learn more, so he gets wiser and wiser.

Learning never end. That's what this quote emphasizes upon. Go and search, travel around so you learn more. This quote basically compares two characters broadly in this world. One who thinks himself as wise, knows every thing, and second one as fool, learns and searches till his last breadth. People who think they know everything will end up looking stupid, but if you realize that you can never stop learning, you are wise.

This quote should always be an inspirational to all our leaders be it those in Government or those in politics, they should always know that they are not smarter than people they lead.

The room is open to the Literature experts to define the meaning of this Quote from one the highly respected Great Thinker, Writer, Poet and Actor.

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.”? I do not think so and it does not apply to your last paragraph. There are people who took a lead in number of areas; science, politics and they are Isaac Newton, Michael Faraday-to name a few. There are people who have demonstrated to be leaders and they take the community to make change. The word SMARTER is a relative term and it depends on which angle you are looking at- others will see red, others will see green others will see yellow and others will see nothing. By the way there are people who will not be able to read what you have wrote-how about that

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.”? I do not think so and it does not apply to your last paragraph. There are people who took a lead in number of areas; science, politics and they are Isaac Newton, Michael Faraday-to name a few. There are people who have demonstrated to be leaders and they take the community to make change. The word SMARTER is a relative term and it depends on which angle you are looking at- others will see red, others will see green others will see yellow and others will see nothing. By the way there are people who will not be able to read what you have wrote-how about that
Thank you for your correction and comment on my article; I used the word Smart to describe the following, Fools had the license to make offensive comments on members of the court, and more importantly on the monarch. It thus took much wit to make use of those privileges/power, and Fool in the day, and in Shakespeare's plays have been considered the one who can see clearly, and is more knowledgeable (a fool always presents himself with folly, thus no one actually ever knows how much a fool knows. Look at what is happening in our societies around the world with what the leaders do can only be described as fools on this quote, .. But hey am not an expert on Literature let the experts help me to define the meaning of the Quote.

Thank you for your correction and comment on my article; I used the word Smart to describe the following, Fools had the license to make offensive comments on members of the court, and more importantly on the monarch. It thus took much wit to make use of those privileges/power, and Fool in the day, and in Shakespeare's plays have been considered the one who can see clearly, and is more knowledgeable (a fool always presents himself with folly, thus no one actually ever knows how much a fool knows. Look at what is happening in our societies around the world with w hat the leaders do can only be described as fools on this quote, .. But hey am not an expert on Literature let the experts help me to define the meaning of the Quote.
"By the way there are people who will not be able to read what you have wrote-how about that" This is the fact I was thinking. If you want limit participation form the members, this is the right way.

Wouldn't you emphasize that "this" quote should be an inspiration to all of us rather than limit it to politicians and leaders?

Would you give us some examples of those fools who think they are wiser than all other individuals under their command. But before mentioning any , do you have 7Mil Cash or any other assets to be liquidated

Would you give us some examples of those fools who think they are wiser than all other individuals under their command. But before mentioning any , do you have 7Mil Cash or any other assets to be liquidated

Lowassa.

Wouldn't you emphasize that "this" quote should be an inspiration to all of us rather than limit it to politicians and leaders?
What you said is true FaizaFoxy, that the quote should be an inspirational to all of us. Thank you for correcting me.

ha ha ha ha ha ha The last sentence reminds me of a Swahili proverb/idiom "uwe na kuku mweupe". I like it!!!! I never meant to mention people's names but rather have a discussion on what did this quote from the Great British Thinker William Shakespeare mean.

"By the way there are people who will not be able to read what you have wrote-how about that" This is the fact I was thinking. If you want limit participation form the members, this is the right way.
What did you mean????