What Africa Rulers must learn from David Cameron's decision to quit office

N'yadikwa

JF-Expert Member
Aug 10, 2014
Published for Jamii Forum

It is so obvious that the Brexit process that reached its culmination this June has been so far the most outspoken global political issue that concern a single Nation, more so the decision by UK’s former Prime Minister David Cameron to surrender and quit office became one among issues that was equivalent to admission of guilt to some young politics especially in the developing world, nonetheless there is a lesson posed with all that came to light as far as Brexit is concerned as you relate it to our growing politics.

We hardly ever admit failed particularly when it comes to politics in most African nations, and to me I believe it’s okay pinpointing this as a deficiency that we need to counter, if really we have a desire to advance our politics which to be frank most of its principles were learned if not imitated from the Western world.

Furthermost it brings to attention that he stood by what he believed, and that continuing to remain in office could mean he’d be jeopardizing his political stance and of course believed he wouldn’t be in a position to captain a ship that he himself believed it’s faulty, this is true when he confessed that what he campaigned for didn’t get together and therefore he had to quit, saying “I do not think I can be the captain to take the country to its next destination” means he couldn’t manager his position any longer and again in his final speech at Downing Street he admitted his love for the Country, and I believe it’s because of that passion as a countryman he had to surrender office.

It might not be easy for most Africa Politicians to go that same way but I believe if really those who are in power wishes to be well judged by history that they were true pioneers of a stronger Political Institution in Africa this is the right way to go through.

Also the decision should train those in power that when things gets planned by the majority and gets delivered in tandem to majority wishes there may be a greater possibility of political stability and smooth performance of authority to the ruled and its vice versa would mean otherwise.

The vote to leave the European Union by the UK put Cameron in a tough spot as he successfully avoided the Scottish independence vote, and also won the General Election with a majority that the Conservative Party hadn't received in almost 23 years, yet he had guts to overcome a challenge that I call was welcomed by himself and party fellows, now what is important to be noted here is that he played the drum in accordance to its rhythm wherein he finally had to quit because of the his tough decision to allow democracy hold the destiny of UK in the EU.

A big mistake would be that of trying to cling into power even if he knew there was a small possibility of steering the UK to its desired destination, who else in our continent could dare quit? If none then they are the right candidates to get a lesson from Cameron who bore the outcome of what he molded.

Before his 2015 election, Cameron had vowed to hold a British referendum, this was a big hazard on his part and its fortunate he contained its outcome by quitting, it was of course a brave decision yet harder one.

Respecting the will of the people has become a challenge in many developing countries but with this UK’s PM decision to quit office, our leaders need to understand that it’s the people who set an agenda and the leaders shape it.

Again I had to take not of what Cameron said in his speech, he had some wonderful phrases put forward like “I have held nothing back” “I do not think I can be the captain…” “I think the country requires fresh leadership.” Etcetera, my side I’ve grouped all these phrases as profession from a matured politician who holds an important role to their country and who believe that not because of them things gets to move forward, they believe that someone else can be even more able than they do, this prove that Cameron looked for an omen before proceeding into battle.

However, it is interesting to note that Cameron had always maintained that the outcome of the vote would have no impact on whether he would stay in his job or not, so he presumably knew whatever result would impact his status quo as UK’s PM.

Africa has witnessed most of its leaders remaining in authority for the longest times, and it seems as if the tendency will persist well into the future now with this being the case who can make changes, my answer would be the Africans have the nerve to abolish that tendency by employing patriotism to their own generations, while underscoring the fact that variations in leadership may be helpful in attaining newer focus towards development.

One tough thing that most political leaders in developing democracies would shun from doing if not touching them at all, is making tough decisions, all over again Cameron who served as Tory leader for eleven years and UK’s PM for five years reminded that the tougher decision that the Britons had made to Brexit was of course prompted by a decision that he asserted when he took office as PM back in 2010, now I’ve imagined how tough it would be for leaders in our developing countries to decide same by declaring that they’d be ready to grant the citizens an opportunity to make tougher decisions for their countries, but why not! I think that can be possible only if there is political willingness.

Nyadikwa filed this article from Bunju kwa Baharia Dar es salaam.

Africa? Hello NO.

We are good at changing the constitution in our favor.

Hawana chakujifunza kwasababu huku kwetu tunaabudu katika Chama na kulinda wanaokiabudu Chama, mambo Ustawi wa Taifa hayatuusu.

Back
Top Bottom