UN protests at 'Rwandan refugee abductions' in Uganda

EMT

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2010
The UN has called for an investigation into the "disappearance or abduction" of three Rwandan refugees, including two ex-presidential guards, from neighbouring Uganda. Their "disappearance or abduction" raised serious concerns about a culture of impunity, a UN official said. Rwanda denied it was involved in any illegal activity.

Many critics of Rwanda's President Paul Kagame flee to other countries, accusing him of being authoritarian. On Wednesday, Uganda's government blocked its police from extraditing a Rwandan ex-presidential guard, Joel Mutabazi, who was a refugee in Uganda. The police arrested Mr Mutabazi, at the request of Rwanda, which said he was wanted on criminal charges.

Mr Mutabazi was arrested despite the fact that he was under the protection of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) and lived in a safe house in Uganda since 2011, reports the BBC's Catherine Byaruhanga from the capital, Kampala. Police released him after the government and UNHCR intervened, our reporter says. He is now in the custody of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni's office, she adds.

'Armed robbery'

The UNHCR representative in Kampala, Muhammed Abdi Adar, said Uganda had a duty, under international law, to protect refugees. "I think the actions that have taken place in the last two weeks in which, to my knowledge, some three refugees were abducted or have disappeared really puts the reputation of this country into question," he told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme. "My greatest concern is the sense of impunity that refugees, under international protection, could disappear."

Rwanda's ambassador to Uganda, Frank Mugambajye, denied Rwanda had been involved in abductions. "It's a completely old story. Repeating it will not make it a reality," he said. Ugandan police spokesman Patrick Onyango said Mr Mutabazi was arrested after the Interpol office in Rwanda said he was wanted for the "offence of armed robbery".

"It should be noted that the Uganda Police Force would not hand over the suspect to any country, without going through legal procedures of deportation or extradition, as the law requires," he said. Mr Mutabazi was released after Uganda's Minister of State for Disaster Preparedness, Musa Ecweru, wrote an official letter to police, confirming that he had refugee status, Mr Onyango said.

Mr Mutabazi once was a member of Mr Kagame's security team and is one of about eight Rwandan ex-servicemen who had defected to Uganda because of safety concerns, Associated Press news agency reports. In 2010, Rwanda's ex-army chief Faustin Kayumba Nyamwasa fled to South Africa. He accused Rwanda of a failed attempt to assassinate him in June of the same year after he was shot and wounded in Johannesburg. Rwanda denied involvement. The shooting strained diplomatic relations between South Africa and Rwanda.

Source: BBB News: BBC News - UN protests at 'Rwandan refugee abductions' in Uganda

PK is the stubborn Idd Amini Dadaa come back to life! Someone has to stop him before it is too late!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using JamiiForums

Mimi nataka kumkumbusha tena ndugu yangu PK, ajaribu kadri awezavyo kuzungumza na mahasimu wake wamalize tofauti zao - haya mambo ya kuteka nyara na kuwatisha wapinzani wake hayawezi kumsaidia in along run, mkuu Mwami PK jaribu kujifunza historia, take your time kusoma historia ya Nicolae Ceaușescu wa Romania na mkewe Elena i.e walikumbwa na kitu gani eventually. Kumbuka Rais huyu alikuwa na kikosi chake mahili kilicho kuwa kinajulikana kama "Securitate" chenye legacy ya miaka 20 ya kufanya vitendo vya kutisha! Lakini Mwenyezi Mungu alipo sema enough is enough basi Mheshimiwa sana Ceaușescu alijikuta anatiwa mbaroni bila ya kutegemea, kikosi chake alicho kuwa anakiamini kupindukia kika-sublime in a thin air i.e kikosi chote kilingia mitini kikamuacha Nicolae pake yake na mkewe wa face music!

PK is the stubborn Idd Amini Dadaa come back to life! Someone has to stop him before it is too late!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using JamiiForums

Its never too late to clobber a dictator.
He will make tactical mistakes , in actual fact he has already done.
The dragnet is closing on Kagame, omnly that he has not realised it.

Mimi nataka kumkumbusha tena ndugu yangu PK, ajaribu kadri awezavyo kuzungumza na mahasimu wake wamalize tofauti zao - haya mambo ya kuteka nyara na kuwatisha wapinzani wake hayawezi kumsaidia in along run, mkuu Mwami PK jaribu kujifunza historia, take your time kusoma historia ya Nicolae Ceaușescu wa Romania na mkewe Elena i.e walikumbwa na kitu gani eventually. Kumbuka Rais huyu alikuwa na kikosi chake mahili kilicho kuwa kinajulikana kama "Securitate" chenye legacy ya miaka 20 ya kufanya vitendo vya kutisha! Lakini Mwenyezi Mungu alipo sema enough is enough basi Mheshimiwa sana Ceaușescu alijikuta anatiwa mbaroni bila ya kutegemea, kikosi chake alicho kuwa anakiamini kupindukia kika-sublime in a thin air i.e kikosi chote kilingia mitini kikamuacha Nicolae pake yake na mkewe wa face music!

sikio la kufa halisikii dawa, kagame anajiona amefika hamna wa kumshauri wala kumwambia kitu.elimu ndogo na umbumbumbu wa utawala.

Like most people in here have said before. Paul Kagame is a silent killer and a paranoid leader as he now realizes that his lies are haunting him and it is just a matter of time before he gets killed or brought to justice. You can never lie for the rest of your life before the truth comes out. This is a sign of a person who is under pressure or living on a borrowed time, to kill and hunt for anybody who he perceives to be his enemy when his true enemy is himself. You cannot make a living out of killing innocent people and PK surely deserves to die immediately! If Museveni dies right now, PK will commit suicide as he will have nobody to turn to. In short, he does all of this because Museveni commands/advises him. These two leaders are worse than they appear to be. I was in Kigali last year, when you talk about Kagame most Rwandese will never comment anything especially the ones employed but him, but would only talk when you are alone with them not in public as everyone is scared and acts as a security guard for him. They have nothing good to talk about him. Sad thing is, they have no choice and everyone knows the guy is a killer....Tanzania and Kenya should deal with him as soon as possible before he turns East Africa into chaos. He wants to make sure he goes down with as many people as possible. We don't need him. You kill for no apparent reason, you deserve to die, period!

Cha kunishangaza huyu Joel Mutabazi ni kwa nini alienda kuishi Uganda kwa Mseveni wakati anajua kabisa kuwa Mseveni na Kagame lao ni moja? It was a wrong choice bora angeenda hata Burundi ama hata DRC

Back
Top Bottom