UK Chief Secretary to the Treasury resigns

RayB

JF-Expert Member
Nov 27, 2009
Ikiwa ni muda mfupi tu toka serikali mpya ya mseto kuundwa UK, David Laws ambaye ni Chief Secretary to the Treasury amejiuzuru kufatia tuhuma za kutumia fedha za Umma katika matumizi binafsi hasa gharama za nyumba za 'mwezi wake wa muda mrefu'.

Imegundulika pia kuwa David ni shoga na amekiri alikuwa akijaribu kulinda na kuficha sexuality yake

By SYLVIA HUI,
Associated Press Writer – Sat May 29

LONDON – A senior minister in Britain's new coalition government resigned Saturday after admitting that he claimed tens of thousands of pounds (dollars) in taxpayers' money to pay rent to his long-term partner.

David Laws said he would step down immediately as Chief Treasury Secretary, a role he had occupied for less than a month. He will be replaced by fellow Liberal Democrat Danny Alexander.

It was the first major setback to Prime Minister David Cameron's coalition government, which had promised to crack down on politicians' abuse of expense claims. Hundreds of lawmakers in the previous Parliament had used taxpayers' money to fund everything from swanky second homes to horse manure and a mole catcher. Five lawmakers have been charged with false accounting, and scores of others were either forced to resign or decided not to run for office again.

Laws - whose job was to implement the new government's deficit reduction plan - apologized and said he would immediately pay back the money, which the Daily Telegraph newspaper said totaled 40,000 pounds ($57,822).

The newspaper reported that Laws claimed up to 950 pounds a month in taxpayer money between 2004 and 2007 to rent a room in two properties owned by his partner, James Lundie.

Parliamentary rules have banned lawmakers from leasing accommodation from spouses, family members or a "partner" since 2006. Laws explained Friday that he did not intend to profit from the claims, and that his motivation throughout was to protect his and Lundie's privacy and keep his sexuality a secret.

Laws said Saturday he could not carry on in his role after the "distressing" revelations.

"I do not see how I can carry out my crucial work on the budget and spending review while I have to deal with the private and public implications of recent revelations," Laws said as he read out a statement at the Treasury.

"While my recent problems were caused by my desire to keep my sexuality secret ... I cannot now escape the conclusion that what I have done was in some way wrong, even though I did not gain any financial benefit," he said.

Cameron praised Laws as a "good and honorable man" and said he had made a real difference in his short time at the Treasury.

Laws, a relatively unknown Liberal Democrat just weeks ago, was catapulted into the limelight when he emerged as one of the key players in negotiating the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition deal.

Mfano mzuri wa kuwajibika!

Kwani hili jamaa lilikuwa limemuweka kinyumba mwanaume mwenzake? Kaaz kwelikweli.

Kwani hili jamaa lilikuwa limemuweka kinyumba mwanaume mwenzake? Kaaz kwelikweli.
Kwani lilikuwa limemuweka kinyumba jamaa au lenyewe ndo lilikuwa linakamuliwa.? Nyumba lililokuwa linaombea posho ni ya basha wake nadhani ebu nifafanulie vizuri.

Nimeona BBC hawaweki wazi nani alikuwa gay huyo waziri au jamaa yake. Maana wanajifanya wawazi sana na wanatetea ushoga sasa kwenye hii taarifa wanasema partner wake .
kama wanatetea ugay si waseme wazi tu gay ni nani kati ya huyo partner au huyo aliyekuwa waziri ?

Kwani lilikuwa limemuweka kinyumba jamaa au lenyewe ndo lilikuwa linakamuliwa.? Nyumba lililokuwa linaombea posho ni ya basha wake nadhani ebu nifafanulie vizuri.

Nimeona BBC hawaweki wazi nani alikuwa gay huyo waziri au jamaa yake. Maana wanajifanya wawazi sana na wanatetea ushoga sasa kwenye hii taarifa wanasema partner wake .
kama wanatetea ugay si waseme wazi tu gay ni nani kati ya huyo partner au huyo aliyekuwa waziri ?

Mkulu,

Gay ni mtu mwenye matamanio na mtu wa jinsia yake, haijalishwi ni nani anashika ukuta. Inaezekana hamna hata hayo mambo ya kushikishana ukuta maana vitendo wanavyofanya wanajua wao wenyewe. Unless unataka hizo details za hawa mabalahau wakati sina..he he he..

Mkulu,

Gay ni mtu mwenye matamanio na mtu wa jinsia yake, haijalishwi ni nani anashika ukuta. Inaezekana hamna hata hayo mambo ya kushikishana ukuta maana vitendo wanavyofanya wanajua wao wenyewe. Unless unataka hizo details za hawa mabalahau wakati sina..he he he..

Hahahaha aksante mkuu kwa kunielimisha mi nilikuwa najua gay ni mwanaume anayeshikishwa ukutwa na mwanaume mwenzake.

Ama kweli Majuu hawanazo je huko majuu wakisema partner ni kitu kinatambulika kisheria kama ndoa au ndio kama watu teneja wanavyoitana bf na gf watu wazima ndo wanaitana partners?

Hahahaha aksante mkuu kwa kunielimisha mi nilikuwa najua gay ni mwanaume anayeshikishwa ukutwa na mwanaume mwenzake.

Ama kweli Majuu hawanazo je huko majuu wakisema partner ni kitu kinatambulika kisheria kama ndoa au ndio kama watu teneja wanavyoitana bf na gf watu wazima ndo wanaitana partners?

Partner kwene kungonoana, jwengine nasikiaga wanaitana BF ..astaghfurilahi. Jamaa kasema alikuwa bado hajatoka kwene closet, sasa sielewi kama hii jamii ni ya kinafiki kiasi gani. Inavoonekana alijua kuwa gay kuna-tarnish image, and once u come out of closest wanajua 'things will change' na pengine hata huo uwaziri ungeota mbawa.

Kazi kwelikweli.

David Laws gives three reasons to the PM for his decision to resign

Mr Laws wrote:

Dear Prime Minister,

The last 24 hours have been very difficult and distressing for me, and I have been thinking carefully about what action I should take in the interests of the Government, my constituents and - most important of all - those whom I love.

I am grateful for the strong support which I have received from my friends, family, and from you, the Deputy Prime Minister and the Chancellor.

This support has been incredibly important, but nonetheless, I have decided that it is right to tender my resignation as Chief Secretary to the Treasury. I have done so for three reasons.

Firstly, I do not see how I can carry on my crucial work on the Budget and Spending Review while I have to deal with the private and public implications of recent revelations.

At this important time the Chancellor needs, in my own view, a Chief Secretary who is not distracted by personal troubles. I hardly need say how much I regret having to leave such vital work, which I feel all my life has prepared me for.

Secondly, while my recent problems were caused by my desire to keep my sexuality secret, the public is entitled to expect politicians to act with a sense of responsibility.

I cannot now escape the conclusion that what I have done was in some way wrong, even though I did not gain any financial benefit from keeping my relationship secret in this way.

Finally, and most importantly, I have an overriding responsibility to those I love most, and who I feel I have exposed to scrutiny in this way.

I have pursued a political career because of my sense of public duty, but I have too often put this before the interests of those I love most. It is time to redress the balance.

I want to apologise to my constituents for falling below the standards that they are entitled to expect from me.

The job of being a constituency MP is no less important to me than my Cabinet responsibilities.

I shall ensure that I co-operate fully with the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner in the review that I have requested.

I intend to consider carefully over the period ahead how I can best serve the interests of my Yeovil constituency, which I care so passionately about.

It has been a great honour to serve however briefly in your Government and I will remain its strong supporter.

Yours sincerely,

David Laws

Mr Cameron responded:

Dear David,

Thank you for your letter tendering your resignation from the Government, which I accept with sadness.

The last 24 hours must have been extraordinarily difficult and painful for you.

You are a good and honourable man. I am sure that, throughout, you have been motivated by wanting to protect your privacy rather than anything else.

Your decision to resign from the Government demonstrates the importance you attach to your integrity.

In your short lime at the Treasury, you have made a real difference, setting the Government on the right path to tackle the deficit which poses such a risk to our economy.

I hope that, in time, you will be able to serve again as I think it is absolutely clear that you have a huge amount to offer our country.

Yours,

David

Nick Clegg's statement in full:

David Laws has taken a very painful decision today. It was his decision alone. I have enormous respect for the dignity and integrity with which he has acted today. David and I have been friends and close colleagues for many years.

I have always admired his intelligence, his sense of public duty and his personal integrity. My admiration for him has only grown as I have seen how he has dealt with the cruel pressures of the last 24 hours.

There are clearly questions that David himself acknowledges must now be answered about his own expenses, and he did the right thing referring himself to the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.

When these questions have been addressed, I very much hope that there will be an opportunity for him to rejoin the Government.

As everyone has seen over the last few weeks, he has so much to contribute to national life.

When all is said and done, this has come about because of David's intense desire to keep his private life private.

That privacy has now been cruelly shattered. I'm sure I speak on behalf of all fair minded people in saying I hope he and those close to him are now granted the privacy which he has always craved.

Mkuu unajua katika kiswahili huyu huitwa M.SENGE na mshikishaji wake huitwa B.ASHA sidhani kama kwa wenzetu huwa wanatofautisha maana sometimes unaweza kuta hakuna anayeshikishwa ukuta ila wanasaidiana kutoana ashiki na wakati mwingine wote hushikishana ukuta kwa zamu au mmoja anakuwa anashikishwa ukuta hivyo inakuwa ngumu kubaini yanayofanywa nyuma ya ukuta. Kwa wao hawa wanatumia neno GAY kama kiashiria ya jinsia moja kuwa mtu na mwandani wake.

Mkuu unajua katika kiswahili huyu huitwa M.SENGE na mshikishaji wake huitwa B.ASHA sidhani kama kwa wenzetu huwa wanatofautisha maana sometimes unaweza kuta hakuna anayeshikishwa ukuta ila wanasaidiana kutoana ashiki na wakati mwingine wote hushikishana ukuta kwa zamu au mmoja anakuwa anashikishwa ukuta hivyo inakuwa ngumu kubaini yanayofanywa nyuma ya ukuta. Kwa wao hawa wanatumia neno GAY kama kiashiria ya jinsia moja kuwa mtu na mwandani wake.
moz-screenshot-1.png

Hofstede,
Umefafanua vema sana, na upuuzi huo ndio wanaukazania ufuatwe dunia nzima kwa kizingizio cha Haki za Binadamu! Umesikia yaliyotokea malawi.

Back
Top Bottom