Uganda death toll rises to 4 as army steps in | JamiiForums | The Home of Great Thinkers

Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Uganda death toll rises to 4 as army steps in

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ByaseL, Apr 19, 2011.

  1. B

    ByaseL JF-Expert Member

    Apr 19, 2011
    Joined: Nov 22, 2007
    Messages: 2,223
    Likes Received: 22
    Trophy Points: 135

    Army and police units yesterday used tear gas, bullets and truncheons to break up protests against rising food and fuel prices around the country, leaving at least one person dead in Kampala, and bringing the death toll to four in three days.

    Mr Frank Mugisha, who reportedly died after being attacked in Kasangati, is the first person to die in Kampala. Last week, at least three people were killed in the northern district of Gulu during protests.
    While police authorities said that Mr Mugisha was ill, Ms Robina Nakku, one of the eye witnesses, said: “That man (Mugisha) was first beaten by the military and when police came, they fired tear gas at him, he collapsed and was picked up by the Uganda Red Cross volunteers and later died on his way to Kasangati Hospital.”

    Uganda Red Cross last evening confirmed the death and other cases of people hit by bullets. At least four people in Kireka, including two pregnant women, were taken to hospital. In Namugongo, a civilian suffered gunshot wounds to the head while five others sustained severe injuries in Kasangati. In Mukono, four men were hit by rubber bullets and taken to Mulago Hospital.

    The walk-to-work campaign again spread to several districts, and saw several opposition leaders arrested. Democratic Party leader Norbert Mao was sent to Luzira prison until May 2 after he declined bail.

    For the first time since the campaign started on April 11, uniformed soldiers were deployed in parts of Kampala other than just Kasangati, Dr Kizza Besigye’s neighbourhood. Uniformed soldiers and police conducted joint operations in the city and major towns across the country.
    Plain-clothed security also took part, although they were accused, by the police, of shooting a man in Kireka.