- Jan 19, 2012
Wanajeshi 13 wamekufa na raia 48 wakijeruhiwa baada ya kutokea mlipuko katika basi mjini Kayseri, Uturuki.
Blast in Kayseri targets soldiers on leave, killing at least 13 and wounding 48 as well as civilians
A car bomb in Turkey has killed 13 soldiers and wounded at least 48 others as well as civilians, the military have reportedly confirmed, a week after a similar attack killed more than 30 police officers.
State-run Anadolu news agency said the bomb exploded at an entrance gate to Erciyes University in Kayseri, hitting a public bus that was carrying soldiers on leave and other passengers. The report said the explosion had caused casualties but did not give a toll.
Associated Press later reported Turkish military officials confirming a death toll of at least 13.
The governor of Kayseri, Suleyman Kamci, said the car bomb exploded beside the bus. “Unfortunately we have martyrs and wounded,” he said in remarks carried by the private Dogan news agency.
Speaking about the Kayseri explosion, the vice-prime minister, Veysi Kaynak, said in remarks broadcast on NTV that “treacherous factions” had taken aim at commandos from the Kayseri Airforce Brigade who had been “training exclusively for the safety of our people”.
Turkey’s prime ministerial office imposed a temporary blackout on coverage of the explosion and urged media to refrain from publishing anything that may cause “fear in the public, panic and disorder and which may serve the aims of terrorist organisations”.
A week ago riot police posted outside a football stadium in Istanbul at the end of a match were attacked by twin car bombings. The final death toll was 44, mostly police officers, and scores more were wounded. Kurdish militants claimed responsibility for the attack.
Source: THe Guardian