This House Is On Fire

You have Bill Gates and Diamond Platinumz. That poem is the latter.
In poetry/ lyrics, Diamond Platnumz is an award winning lyricist/ singer while Bill Gates has no published poem to my knowledge.

If you want to trash something, at least use the right analogy.

In poetry/ lyrics, Diamond Platnumz is an award winning lyricist/ singer while Bill Gates has no published poem to my knowledge.

If you want to trash something, at least use the right analogy.
I wasn't trying to trash it bruh. That s#it is brilliant! ... :)

This house is on fire, esquires, sires quiet
It's like Juvenal's satires attired in the cries of Jeremiah
We need a Pussy Riot with no bias
Inspired by the Diet like in Opobo's Jaya
Delusions of grandeur transpire in the guise of cultured hires
The good book say it's dire, learned and lay, the wheel gyres
Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep
Indulging in a deep, inequity that can't sleep
Flattering pictures of pastures that's evergreen
Painted by scriptures of pastors unclean
While many go astray today, lost the way
And some don't care whether it's night or day
Some say there's good intention as they mention the pretention
Mockeries of Mackabees by wanabees condescension
It gives me indigestion, and I'm not even the worst
There are those in this nation who can't pay for food, the cost

I react in beat like phosphorus, citing Yeats and Horace
The center can't hold, it's like we're lost in a forest
With neither compass nor direction, free and fair pompous elections
Won't give us the corrections we need to steer this nation to our station
The depth of depravity, stronger than gravity
We need escape velocity from this deep dental cavity of steep mental poverty
Some say he is a Moses, all we get is poses
And party politics, division like the war of roses
Is the race to the swift and the battle to the strong?
Without regard to right or wrong?
Power drunk princes punk norms it evinces
Shower funk dunces rank forms in provinces
While tribes of scribes are practising self censorship
A few won't take the bribe to join the death membership
It's a tricky situation, who's to say they would be okay?
Somebody's gotta shine the light and lead the way

The Ministry of Truth miseducating the youth
With tales uncouth and distortions that's brute
It's autocratic not Socratic, Magellan circlyc
Oxymoron, toxic colon, needs Hegelian didactic
Hardly a soul in sight to fight the might tonight
There'd be a hole, alright, blown like dynamyte
Napoleon's flair, dancing like Astaire
While whispering sweet falsettos that "I care"
The pleasure I treasure is being destroyed beyond measure
The pressure, can't be calmed by bulletins of Jacob Tesha
Who's gonna test the weight, with bullets as the reward?
And if they all sit and wait, with tulips are they cowards?
Our family is supposedly a strong institution
How did we end up with this prostitution?
Worse yet, where's the absolution and solution
Where's the panacea of inclusion to rid us of this pollution?

Switch from this Westminster Westphalian state?
Ditch all things West, and rest in Rastafarian gates?
With the wisdom of Selassie, turn classic, fantastic
Is that even real, or just another fantasy that's cruel and quixotic, sarcastic?
Have the sands of time shifted so much beneath our feet
That the stands I chime are lifted in such a defeat?
Has this river meandered too much to lose a name?
Are the shivers in my liver rendered too much for what remains?
The second law of thermodynamics dictates world trade
Isolationism forbade, puritanism put to bed
Darwinian swim or sink, with hardly a wink
Determining datamining, with hardly a blink

Bolshevik Menshevik splits the bones at the pelvis
While prima donna spits like evil Elvis
Malfunctioning magnanimity,ignoble divinity
With a dashing shot of doubly deadly salinity
The lips of the wise go discerning in their diction
The blips of oversized ego's ambition are frantic in their addiction
For tragicomic of the commons, religiously like Mormons
Driven by ignorance thats fired by the greed hormone
This Mariana Trench is neither British nor French
Our very own stench from all these years we've been drenched
In propaganda with no candor, hurt us more than the war with Uganda
The poisonous infection needs a quick amputation
Or else the cancerous ramification will spread over the body of the nation
Who is the doctor with the right intention to usher the generations?

This house is on fire and we fired the fireman
A clown we then hired cause we're tired of the sire man
And now we sing the choir that the attire is esquire man
The nakedness acquired is a dire we desire man
The chief of mischie with Caligula-Nero yokes
With a speech you can't impeach, tarantula neo-jokes
With clear opacity for the masses of lasses
And sheer beer veracity for the middle classes
Midwives of horror meets contractors of sorrow
To dupe the boroughs better than George Soros
With asinine shots of quinine, worse than Idi Amin
Orwellian dwelling, flairing the failing
While all the while derailing, the chief we're hailing
Caesar must die, but beware of the jailing
Though I'm not good in poet or literature, still your poem has triggered something touchy to my sense! Nonetheless, remember days from Caesar, Constantine, Alexander the Great and great thinkers (philosophers) like Harmorabi and Socrates to date, the world is still in its ups and downs! What is mostly needed in countering the situation (if your house is on fire) is joint effort in a systematic / ethical manner and not the killing! For killing, going to jail matters the least! What matters the most, is the stress and uneasiness tension or rather say, 'lack of peace in mind'!
Digest and cheers!

Though I'm not good in poet or literature, still your poem has triggered something touchy to my sense! Nonetheless, remember days from Caesar, Constantine, Alexander the Great and great thinkers (philosophers) like Harmorabi and Socrates to date, the world is still in its ups and downs! What is mostly needed in countering the situation (if your house is on fire) is joint effort in a systematic / ethical manner and not the killing! For killing, going to jail matters the least! What matters the most, is the stress and uneasiness tension or rather say, 'lack of peace in mind'!
Digest and cheers!
In poetry, killing must not be physical, it can be metaphysical/ intellectual, as in defeat. And jail must not be physical jail, it can be any negative consequence of actions that hinders one's progress.

The poem is layered with double entendre. While the last line looks like a call for assasination and care to be taken to not be put in jail, it has another layer.

Caesar is a figurehead representing political power.

Hence Caesar must die could easily mean that "we need a regime change" and "but beware of the jailing" could mean "but even as you plot to change the regime, beware of the consequences you will put yourself under, for you may end up with worse chaos, like Libya after Gaddafi"

General Mangi

In poetry, killing must not be physical, it can be metaphysical/ intellectual, as in defeat. And jail must not be physical jail, it can be any negative consequence of actions that hinders one's progress.

The poem is layered with double entendre. While the last line looks like a call for assasination and care to be taken to not be put in jail, it has another layer.

Caesar is a figurehead representing political power.

Hence Caesar must die could easily mean that "we need a regime change" and "but beware of the jailing" could mean "but even as you plot to change the regime, beware of the consequences you will put yourself under, for you may end up with worse chaos, like Libya after Gaddafi"

General Mangi
Poetry and Literature really need to be one of the compulsory subjects in our curriculum at all levels. Thanks!
By the way, does this poem not reflect your bitterness in the current political situation in our land?

Poetry and Literature really need to be one of the compulsory subjects in our curriculum at all levels. Thanks!
By the way, does this poem not reflect your bitterness in the current political situation in our land?

What is bitterness?

Why should warranted indignation be labeled bitternes?

If a house is on fire, then someone shouts the house is on fire, lets put out the fire, the father of this house is incompetent, is that someone bitter?

Is pointing out facts bitterness?

To me, bitterness is a negative resentment.

Perhaps bitterness in English has a slightly more negative meaning than its Swahili translation, therefore, when doing direct translation from Swahili there is something lost.

If you say "Rais Magufuli ana uchungu na nchii hii" that is a compliment.

The same thing in English, using direct translation "President Magufuli is bitter about this nation" has a negative connotation, as if Magufuli lost the election and went abroad to live as an exile because he is bitter (resentful)about this nation.

I inspire a positive upliftment. Nothing bitter there.

Maybe I have uchungu (pain). But not bitterness.

The two have different connotations.

What is bitterness?

Why should warranted indignation be labeled bitternes?

If a house is on fire, then someone shouts the house is on fire, lets put out the fire, the father of this house is incompetent, is that someone bitter?

Is pointing out facts bitterness?

To me, bitterness is a negative resentment.

Perhaps bitterness in English has a slightly more negative meaning than its Swahili translation, therefore, when doing direct translation from Swahili there is something lost.

If you say "Rais Magufuli ana uchungu na nchii hii" that is a compliment.

The same thing in English, using direct translation "President Magufuli is bitter about this nation" has a negative connotation, as if Magufuli lost the election and went abroad to live as an exile because he is bitter (resentful)about this nation.

I inspire a positive upliftment. Nothing bitter there.

Maybe I have uchungu (pain). But not bitterness.

The two have different connotations.
I meant bitterness and not pain!

I meant bitterness and not pain!
There is a tendency to confuse pain with bitterness. I am clearly in pain.I am not bitter. Bitter carries a negative connotation of resentment. Why should I be bitter? If anything, I should be very happy with the situation in Tanzania.My family benefited tremendously as being part of the ruling class, up to the current cabinet and being in high ranking positions in every administration since independence.

Magufuli gave my family a very dear house in Oysterbay, valued at US $3m at the height of the real estate boom, why should I be bitter?

I have no reason to be bitter.Tanzania has been very good to me.These are narratives on a philosophical level, nothing about personal bitterness.

I will elaborate.

As pointed out, I see "the pleasure I treasure being destroyed beyond measure".

Part of that pleasure I treasure, that of national unity that used to make us boast that we do not have tribalism, is being destroyed beyond measure by careless usurpers who are under the illusion that the phase of building national unity is over, and we can disregard this aspect and even carry favor along tribal lines without impacting national unity.

Nyerere lamented about this very thing.

Was he bitter?

Why should the pain I feel for seeing my nation being Balkanized be interpreted as bitterness?

How do you see this as bitterness and not pain? What is your justification?

There is a tendency to confuse pain with bitterness. I am clearly in pain.I am not bitter. Bitter carries a negative connotation of resentment. Why should I be bitter? If anything, I should be very happy with the situation in Tanzania.My family benefited tremendously as being part of the ruling class, up to the current cabinet and being in high ranking positions in every administration since independence.

Magufuli gave my family a very dear house in Oysterbay, valued at US $3m at the height of the real estate boom, why should I be bitter?

I have no reason to be bitter.Tanzania has been very good to me.These are narratives on a philosophical level, nothing about personal bitterness.

I will elaborate.

As pointed out, I see "the pleasure I treasure being destroyed beyond measure".

Part of that pleasure I treasure, that of national unity that used to make us boast that we do not have tribalism, is being destroyed beyond measure by careless usurpers who are under the illusion that the phase of building national unity is over, and we can disregard this aspect and even carry favor along tribal lines without impacting national unity.

Nyerere lamented about this very thing.

Was he bitter?

Why should the pain I feel for seeing my nation being Balkanized be interpreted as bitterness?

How do you see this as bitterness and not pain? What is your justification?
Bitterness then, is for those who have never tasted the benefits of the ruling class! Be it pain or bitterness, I stand to be corrected that, the perception of "pleasure treasure being destroyed" (your words) or eroded away (my words) comes from power mongers . For us lay men, we just struggle for our survival and as I can see, there is a bright light shining our way and sooner than later, believe it or not, we shall be rejoicing the rhythm of our sweet sweat !

Bitterness then, is for those who have never tasted the benefits of the ruling class! Be it pain or bitterness, I stand to be corrected that, the perception of "pleasure treasure being destroyed" (your words) or eroded away (my words) comes from power mongers . For us lay men, we just struggle for our survival and as I can see, there is a bright light shining our way and sooner than later, believe it or not, we shall be rejoicing the rhythm of our sweet sweat !
So if Tanzania turns into tribal genocide because a certain fool in power is talking nonsense the lay won't be affected?

It is not that I am lazy, but that your bitterness makes me stay a jar, to watch the ultimate end!
Saying this is bitterness and not pain without justification is laziness.

Anyone can say this is bitterness. It requires wirk to show why this is bitterness and not pain.

You did not show why. You are lazy.

Back
Top Bottom