engmtolera

JF-Expert Member
Oct 21, 2010
_52895615_crooks_22_5.jpg

EDWIN VAN DER SAR
_52328978_006847889-1.jpg

Goalkeeper
Manchester United
The keepers who appear most active throughout the season are not necessarily those who are the most influential. My goalkeeper of the season is Van der Sar because he has yet again proved the point that top-class goalies win their team prizes. A credit to his profession and his craft. An amazing season. The question is, with whom do they replace him?
Did you know? At 40 years and 206 days old today, Van der Sar is the oldest player to win the Premier League.

LEIGHTON BAINES
_51548223_baines_getty126.jpg

Left-back
Everton
What a season for the Evertonian. It has been years since I have seen a player with such a sweet left foot. He has been inspirational for the Toffees and his goals have often been game changing.
Did you know? Baines made 11 assists and created 74 chances in the Premier League this season, both are highs for defenders.

NEMANJA VIDIC
_51447189_011379877-1.jpg

Centre-back
Manchester United
He is a throwback to the good old-fashioned centre-half. Rugged at times, not afraid to put his head in where it matters and is always prepared to put his game on the line for the team. It cannot get more committed than that. Rio Ferdinand and Chris Smalling should give him half their wages!
Did you know? Since Vidic made his Premier League debut in January 2006, Manchester United have won 73% of the league games the Serb has played in and 59% of the games he has missed.

VINCENT KOMPANY
_52736537_kompany_getty126.jpg

Centre-back
Manchester City
The quiet assassin. The second player in the City defence who has been practically ever present and a rock. Not a fussy player but extremely effective. In the absence of Kolo Toure, he has been sensational.
Did you know? No Premier League defender has been involved in more clean sheets this season than Kompany (18).

PABLO ZABALETA
_52216601_zabaleta_getty126.jpg

Right-back
Manchester City
A solid, consistent, mature performer and one of the reasons Manchester City have had an exceptional season.
His term at the club could not have been better epitomised when he responded to City's injury crisis at the request of manager Roberto Mancini. He returned from his father's bedside in Argentina to play in an FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United. I suspect his father would have been very proud of the outcome.
Did you know? Manchester City have won 65% of the league games Zabaleta has played in this season but just 33% when he has not been involved.

SCOTT PARKER
_51447192_011249499-1.jpg

Midfield
West Ham United
The Footballer Writers' Footballer of the Year 2010-11. Enough said.
Did you know? West Ham won 23% of the games Parker started in the league this season but none without him in the starting XI.

GARETH BALE
_52895612_011922375-1.jpg

Midfield
Tottenham Hotspur
He has thrilled Tottenham fans all season with his willingness and pace. The big question is will Spurs have the desire to keep him and not cash in on his obvious value.
Did you know? Bale is one of only five players - and the only midfielder - to have netted a hat-trick in the Champions League this season.

CHARLES N'ZOGBIA
_52736259_nzogbia_getty126.jpg

Midfield
Wigan Athletic
I cannot make up my mind if his performances in the latter half of the season have been down to his desire to keep Wigan up or pure self-interest. Whatever the reason, some of his displays over the last 12 games have been amazing. Wigan's best player this season by a mile.
Did you know? N'Zogbia has attempted 8.8 dribbles per game on average this season in the top flight, almost three more than any other player.

YAYA TOURE
_52736539_yayatoure_getty126.jpg

Midfield
Manchester City
Anyone who earns what this fellow earns per week should be providing performances fit for an Arab Prince - and he does.
Did you know? Toure completed 1,566 passes in the Premier League this season, 44 more than any of his team-mates.

JAVIER HERNANDEZ
_52328986_011818758-1.jpg

Striker
Manchester United
The most exciting player to arrive at Old Trafford for some time. The effervescent Mexican is developing the kind of relationship with the United fans that legends like Norman Whiteside, Mark Hughes and Stuart 'Pancho' Pearson enjoyed. Hardly surprising. 'Chicharito' has the same infectious spirit.
Did you know? Excluding penalties, Hernandez has the best shot conversion rate in the Premier League this season, netting with 29.6% of his shots based on a minimum of 10 goals.

CARLOS TEVEZ
_52895614_012043805-1.jpg

Striker
Manchester City
The piece of the jigsaw that has been so important to City yet the Argentine hitman has also been problematic. I have seen this player practically win games for City on his own this season. There is not a player in the Premier League who works harder.
Did you know? Tevez netted 35% of Manchester City's league goals this term (excluding own goals), a higher ratio than any other Premier League player.

TONY PULIS
_52895619_011977091-1.jpg

Manager
Stoke City
My manager of the season is Tony Pulis. He has produced nothing short of the miraculous. Having taken Stoke City to their first FA Cup final and a return to European football after 39 years, he deserves all the plaudits. A remarkable season. Well done, Tony!

Back
Top Bottom