Secret of a Happy Marriage

Jugado

JF-Expert Member
Oct 28, 2021
Members, I would like to share with you all a summary of a chapter titled "Secret of a Happy Marriage" from the book written by Ellen G. White in 1943. The name of the book is "Your Home and Health" The book has many useful chapters based on western life and Seventh day Christians but when you take it into perspective and your context it may enrich your life significantly. Having said that let me give you some summary of the subject chapter.

THE SUMMARY

1. Family tie is the closet, the most tender and sacred of any on the earth. It was designed to be blessing whenever the marriage covenant is entered into intelligently, in the fear of God and with due consideration for it's responsibilities.

2. Let every step toward a marriage alliance be characterized by modesty, simplicity, sincerity, and an earnest purpose to please and honor God.

3. However carefully and wisely marriage may have been entered into, few couples are completely united when the marriage ceremony is performed. The real union of two in wedlock is the work of after years.

4. As life with it's burden of perplexity and care meets the newly wedded pair, the romance with which imagination so often invests marriage disappears. Husband and wife learn each other's character as it was impossible to learn it in their previous association. This is the most critical period in their experience. The happiness and usefulness of their whole future life depends upon their taking a right now by speaking of excellencies rather than defects of each other.

5. Continue the early attentions. In every way encourage each other in fighting the battles of life. Study to advance the happiness of each other.

6. Let there be mutual love, mutual forbearance. Then marriage, instead of being the end of love, will be as if it were the very beginning of love.

7. Around every family there is a sacred circle that should be kept unbroken. Within this circle no other person has right to come. Let not husband or wife permit another to share the confidences that solely belong to themselves.

8. Neither husband nor wife should merge his or her individuality in that of the other.

9. Neither the husband nor wife should attempt to exercise over the other an arbitrary control. Do not try to compel each other to yield to your wishes. You cannot do this and retain each other's love.

These eight paragraphs are quoted as they are written in the book. My take is that both husband and wife understand and work on these, they will have a Happy Marriage. Encourage each other without putting the other down.
I submit. I hope this might be useful to someone.
Regards.