President Magufuli rejects calls to extend rule beyond two-term limit

Nelson Masaduki

JF-Expert Member
Oct 27, 2017
EaOK8cPWkAA5dwg.jpg

President John Magufuli on Thursday rejected calls from some of his supporters to extend his rule beyond the constitutional limit of two, five-year terms, bucking a trend. There have been some calls from members of the Parliament including the Speaker of the National Assembly Job Ndugai who have been pushing President Magufuli to extend his rule beyond 2025.

Several leaders including Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni, Rwanda’s Paul Kagame and Burundi’s Pierre Nkurunziza have all tinkered with or defied their constitutions to extend their rule.

Pray for me so that I may not tempted by pride to extend my rule beyond constitutional limits. I will respect the constitution,” Magufuli told a public rally in the Capital city, Dodoma capital while inagurating the government city.

Last year in while in Mtwara President Magufuli rejected the same calls when he said“I have sworn to defend the constitution ... I shall play my part and pass on the leadership reins to the next president when the time comes.”

Tanzania, one of sub-Saharan Africa’s most stable democracies, has held five relatively peaceful multi-party elections since 1995, all won by the ruling party.

Magufuli was elected in October 2015 for his first term and is expected to seek re-election in the elections to be held October this year. Nicknamed “the Bulldozer” for his strict leadership style, Magufuli has won praise from some Western donors for his tough anti-corruption fight.

MyTake: The President is strict on Constitutional Term. No more politics on this.

Muda bado kwanini aanze kujichoresha mapema? ( conceal your intentions...one among 48 rules of power)

alikuwa anatest mitambo mbele ya umati kuona kama wataropoka kama kina kessy na ndugai. miaka mitano inatosha.

Kama yeye mwenyewe hataki, basi haina shobo hatuwezi kumlazimisha ila sisi tuko tayari kumpa bonus aendelee kama akishinda Uchaguzi, ...

Ingawapo wanasema dua la kuku halimpati mwewe, bado namuomba Mola wetu Ndugai na Kessy wasirudi mjengoni na kama wakirudi kiti kile kiwaponyoke. Ndugai anatupeleka pabaya, hafai hafai hafai.

Back
Top Bottom