Museveni gives Kipsiro house and sh20m

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has given Moses Kipsiro sh20m for winning two gold medals from the just-concluded Commonwealth Games in New Dheli, India.

The President also promised to build a camp house for atheletes and to upgrade a training field in the star athlete’s home district of Bukwo.

“I am giving you sh20m for removing the curse of no medals,” a smiling Museveni told the happy Kipsiro at a dinner at State House Entebbe on Sunday night.

“I also salute your wife. I read a newspaper (Sunday Vision) interview, saying you performed well because she is looking after your home well.”

The offer of a house and construction of a four-lane training field in Bukwo followed a request from Kipsiro, who trains almost 70km away in Kapchorwa because of lack of facilities in his home district.

“Your Excellency, you know the field I am talking about. You usually land in it whenever you visit my area. With this facility, I guarantee you more medals,” appealed Kipsiro.

He also asked for similar facilities in the western highlands for other long distance runners and in the central region.

Addressing guests, Kipsiro also wished Museveni success in the coming elections. “ Just like I won in New Delhi, I am also wishing you success in the elections,” he said. He also said he was one of the products of Museveni’s reign, having been born in 1986 when Museveni assumed power.

He compared athletics to the army. “An athlete, like a soldier, does not want to lose. In India, all I wanted was to win and God helped me to do so.”

Present was First Lady Janet Museveni, former vice-president Wandira Kazibwe, education minister Namirembe Bitamazire, state sports minister Charles Bakkabulindi, state minister for privatisation Rukia Chekamondo, Kipsiro’s wife Berna Chebet and parents Alfred and Florence Mutai and daughter Abigail. Leaders and athletes from Sebei region were also present.

Back
Top Bottom