Da Dona
JF-Expert Member
- Dec 16, 2025
- 808
- 510
Medical workers have dragged government to court over what they describe as the unlawful withdrawal of allowances affecting medical interns, Senior House Officers (SHOs), and refugee intern doctors serving in public health facilities across Uganda- Daily Monitor.
Lawyer Jane Namaganda Kibira, UMA leaders and some of the disgruntled interns shortly after filing their petition at the High Court on Wednesday. Photo | Ibrahim Kavuma
The case has been filed in the High Court in Kampala by the Uganda Medical Association (UMA) and the Federation for Uganda Medical Interns, through their lawyers from Wetaka Bukenya & Co Advocates.
The petitioners argue that government abruptly withdrew several categories of allowances without consultation and in breach of earlier agreements reached following past industrial actions by health workers.
According to the doctors, the affected allowances include those that were previously being paid to interns stationed in district hospitals, Senior House Officers pursuing postgraduate training while working, and refugee intern doctors attached to public hospitals.
They contend that these allowances formed part of commitments made by government during negotiations meant to resolve earlier strikes over poor pay and working conditions in the health sector. However, they now argue that some of those commitments have either been partially implemented or completely withdrawn without agreement from the affected parties.
The medics further claim that the decision has left many young doctors struggling to meet basic living costs, despite working long hours in understaffed public hospitals. They say interns in particular are among the most affected, earning about Shs 1 million per month in some cases, which they argue is insufficient without the additional allowances.
Their lawyers also told court that the withdrawal of allowances has worsened already difficult working conditions, with interns and SHOs reportedly working extended shifts and limited rest time while still undergoing training.
The petitioners further argue that government’s actions amount to unfair treatment, especially in comparison to other public officers who receive transfer or hardship allowances under similar circumstances. They say this amounts to discrimination within the public service system.
On the other hand, the Ministry of Health has defended the decision, saying some of the payments being demanded are not applicable under government policy. Ministry spokesperson Emmanuel Ainebyona said that doctors already on the government payroll are not entitled to double payments, and that refugee interns do not fall under the same eligibility framework for allowances.
Government maintains that those who qualify for payments are being catered for within existing wage structures.
The case is now pending before the High Court, with government expected to file its formal response in the next stages of the proceedings.
The case has been filed in the High Court in Kampala by the Uganda Medical Association (UMA) and the Federation for Uganda Medical Interns, through their lawyers from Wetaka Bukenya & Co Advocates.
The petitioners argue that government abruptly withdrew several categories of allowances without consultation and in breach of earlier agreements reached following past industrial actions by health workers.
According to the doctors, the affected allowances include those that were previously being paid to interns stationed in district hospitals, Senior House Officers pursuing postgraduate training while working, and refugee intern doctors attached to public hospitals.
They contend that these allowances formed part of commitments made by government during negotiations meant to resolve earlier strikes over poor pay and working conditions in the health sector. However, they now argue that some of those commitments have either been partially implemented or completely withdrawn without agreement from the affected parties.
The medics further claim that the decision has left many young doctors struggling to meet basic living costs, despite working long hours in understaffed public hospitals. They say interns in particular are among the most affected, earning about Shs 1 million per month in some cases, which they argue is insufficient without the additional allowances.
Their lawyers also told court that the withdrawal of allowances has worsened already difficult working conditions, with interns and SHOs reportedly working extended shifts and limited rest time while still undergoing training.
The petitioners further argue that government’s actions amount to unfair treatment, especially in comparison to other public officers who receive transfer or hardship allowances under similar circumstances. They say this amounts to discrimination within the public service system.
On the other hand, the Ministry of Health has defended the decision, saying some of the payments being demanded are not applicable under government policy. Ministry spokesperson Emmanuel Ainebyona said that doctors already on the government payroll are not entitled to double payments, and that refugee interns do not fall under the same eligibility framework for allowances.
Government maintains that those who qualify for payments are being catered for within existing wage structures.
The case is now pending before the High Court, with government expected to file its formal response in the next stages of the proceedings.