Majority see seminars as too wasteful... People's Articles Views

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
Saturday, 21 May 2011 10:33

jk%20semina.jpg

President Jakaya Kikwete makes a point during a cabinet meeting at State House. PHOTO | FILE

Top government officials converge on Dodoma last week to attend a consultative seminar intended, among other things, to bring more efficiency in government.

Opening the week-long event, President Jakaya Kikwete urged the officials to observe discipline and collective responsibility in their daily tasks. However, people commenting on such seminars have had divergent views:

Through SMS, +255 784 512152
All those nominated to Cabinet are supposed to be able and qualified. Public service is not about training and seminars. The will to serve the country and its people efficiently should be inborn and not instilled.
The fact is that there is total lack of patriotism in all our public servants in particular, and all Tanzanians in general.

Victor Paul, Arusha
It is a matter of routine. The President has a wishful approach in organising such consultative seminars as he did after the 2005 general election.
But did it deliver the expected goods? No! Ministers should be able to deliver without seminars. A lot of money is being wasted on them with zero impact on the expected performance.
Ministers will not be efficient because of seminars. In fact a seminar is a bad start for ministers.

Through SMS, +255 718 773777
This was just wastage of time in my opinion, worse still wastage of public funds.
Why on earth would you spend taxpayer’s money in moulding some others who have been in office for many years, yet they have not changed?
Mind you, we had such a palatial seminar back in 2006 involving the same very faces and at the end it has not yielded any positive results as far as the performance of the cabinet members is concerned.
They had better reflect on the Arusha Declaration particularly on the rules governing good leadership.

M.J. Lema, +255 713828044
It should definitely improve overall efficiency on their day to day decision making. Seminars are very educative; they improve cooperation and coordination. That would also remind them to work as a team. I recommend that such seminars be continuous amongst civil servants to improve even the work standards.

Emmanuel Kimolo, Dodoma
I think such seminars ought to be held after every two years because our leaders seem to relax and put behind their responsibilities.
I remember we had the famous Ngurudoto seminar in 2006 but look where we are today; corruption has become the order of the day in most ministries, embezzlement of public funds and many other vices.
Having such seminars occasionally will help to bring our ministers and their permanent secretaries on the right track and will in a great deal shape up their conduct.

Audax Mutashumbya, Dar es Salaam
I see no point for the President to host such seminars and in my view, that is a mere wastage of time and resources.
If a minister fails to deliver wherever he is, the President ought not to spare them but sack them from their respective posts.
The ministers feel very much protected when the President accord them with such seminars knowing that nothing would happen to them.

Fortunatus Bwaya, +255714949628
The consultative seminar could have yielded meaningful long-term results had its participants resorted to deliberating on the reintroduction of the Arusha Declaration’s leadership code of ethics.
This policy instrument could establish minimum qualifications that aspirants of public posts ought to meet.
The genuine problem isn’t lack of professionalism, integrity, trustworthy or dependability, but it is because of weak institutions that breed unaccountable and incompetent leaders.
It is imperative to re-examine criteria and processes that control recruitment, appointments and promotions in public domain. The debate for a new constitution offers this opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom