Killer landslide in Nairobi's Mathare slum

Askari Kanzu

JF-Expert Member
Jan 7, 2011
6 dead, scores trapped in Nairobi landslide

610x.jpg

NAIROBI, Apr 4 – Massive boulders crashed onto houses on Wednesday in Mathare, a Nairobi slum, killing at least six people and trapping many underground after a night of heavy rains, police and the Kenyan Red Cross said.

“Two other bodies have further been retrieved now bringing the number of those who have lost their lives in the Mathare tragedy to six people,” the Kenya Red Cross said in a statement.

“The main challenge at the moment is accessibility. The appropriate machinery for rescue cannot access the scene of the tragedy,”
it said.

Police chief Mathew Iteere had earlier put the death toll at four. Families at the scene told AFP several people were still missing.

The Red Cross said more than 40 houses were destroyed in the sprawling slums in the north of the capital when huge boulders came crashing onto them early Wednesday morning, the Kenya Red Cross said.

Teams of rescue workers used hoes and axes in an attempt to break up boulders that towered over their heads as crowds of onlookers stood perilously close.

“The rescue efforts have been hampered by heavy rains, lack of access and appropriate machinery and crowds of people who are slowing down the whole process,” the Red Cross said.

Teams from the military joined in the rescue effort early in the afternoon.

“It’s by God’s grace that we are alive with my family,” said Rose Okoth, a mother of three who managed to run out of her house in time.

“I heard a loud thud. I thought it was a thunderstorm then I heard screams and that is when I ran out to safety with my children. A few minutes later another rock fell on our house. It could have killed us,” she told AFP.

An AFP reporter said the cries from under the rubble that had been heard earlier in the day had subsided by early afternoon.

Heavy rains have begun pounding several Kenyan regions at the start of the main rainy season, which often causes floods and massive displacement.

Source: Capital FM

RIP all those who lost their lives!

Last edited by a moderator:
1.jpg

Rescue teams during a recovery operation at Mathare 4A slum following a rock slide April 4, 2012. Eight people died and nine were rushed to Kenyatta National Hospital with injuries.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

A crane removes boulders as a rescue operation got underway following a landslide in Mathare 4A slum April 4, 2012.

7.jpg

National Youth Service and Mathare 4A residents in a joint effort to rescue those trapped following a dawn landslide April 4, 2012. RED CROSS.

9.jpg

Red Cross personnel remove a body to a waiting ambulance following a landslide at Mathare 4A slum April 4, 2012.

10.jpg

8.jpg

Prime Minister Raila Odinga and Kasarani MP Elizabeth Ongoro react when the arrived at the scene of the Mathare 4A landslide April 4, 2012.

11.jpg

National Youth Service and Mathare 4A residents in a joint effort to rescue those trapped following a dawn landslide April 4, 2012.

12.jpg

Nadhani kabla ya serikali kuwashurutisha hawa watu kuwa na bank account, wangeangalia ni kwa jinsi gani wanaweza kuboresha maisha yao.

1.jpg

Rescue teams during a recovery operation at Mathare 4A slum following a rock slide April 4, 2012. Eight people died and nine were rushed to Kenyatta National Hospital with injuries.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Poleni sana jirani...:crying:

Hizi slum za Mathare ni hatari sana kwa afya na maisha ya wakazi wa Nairobi especially watoto wadogo.

Poleni sana jirani...:crying:

Hizi slum za Mathare ni hatari sana kwa afya na maisha ya wakazi wa Nairobi especially watoto wadogo.

Wakulaumiwa ni ma-Godfather wa Baraza la Jiji la Nairobi. They dont care for these slum dwellers na
wanaacha wajenge vile watakavyo. Matokeo yake ni kama hapa sasa!...afu pia kulikua ni ile bomba
ya mafuta iliolipuka mwaka jana na kuua watu kibao. Watu wamejenga makazi juu ya bomba la mafuta!

Cha kusikitisha ni kua within the same vicinity kuna watu wana mijengo ya kifahari na hata hawana
habari na hawa walalahoi. That is Kenya for you....A land of contrasts so to speak.

Jirani poleni sana kwa hilo
Walioumia tunawaombea uponaji mwema na wale ambao wametangulia mbele za haki tunawaombea sana kwa Mungu wapumzike kwa amani

Back
Top Bottom