Kibaki insists nominations legal

Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009

PIX.jpg
President Kibaki. PHOTO / FILE
By ANTHONY KARIUKIPosted Friday, February 18 2011 at 15:22

President Kibaki has said that his nomination of four Kenyans to top State jobs was "within the law".
Addressing a news conference at his Harambee House office Friday over Speaker Kenneth Marende's ruling on the controversial nominations, President Kibaki said he will await the decision of the Constitutional Court.
The President said he "was within the law" in nominating the four individuals to the four justice and budget jobs.
He said that the spirit of separation of powers among the three arms of government ought to have been respected.
"The interpretation of the Constitution ought to have been left to the Judiciary," President Kibaki said.
The President said that he had at all times acted in accordance to the Constitution and that the rule of law is of "outmost importance" in running the affairs of the nation.
He said the two House Committee on Justice and Finance had found that the nominations were constitutional.
"None of the two committees returned a verdict that neither me or the Prime Minister had acted unconstitutionality."
He said that his government is committed to the implementation of the new Constitution.
He was accompanied by ministers George Saitoti, Njeru Githae, Beth Mugo, Sam Ongeri, assistant minister Orwa Ojode, politician Maina Kamanda and his advisor on constitutional matters Kivutha Kibwana.
President Kibaki nominated Mr Justice Alnashir Visram to be Chief Justice, Prof Githu Muigai (Attorney General), lawyer Kioko Kilukumi (Director of Public Prosecutions) and William Kirwa as Controller of Budget.
But Prime Minister Raila Odinga contested the move saying there were no consultations between him and the President as provided by the Constitution and the National Accord.
On Thursday, Speaker Marende ruled that the nominations were done in contravention of the Constitution and referred the matter to the two principals to start the process afresh. (Read: Speaker's ruling on Kibaki's nominees)

MY TAKE
A country soon to be in paralysis as we are keenly observing the development

MY TAKE
A country soon to be in paralysis as we are keenly observing the development

Paralysis due to what??
Kibaki's time is up and maybe he is being haunted by thoughts of going back to civilian life.
As for the nominations, they are illegal by all means. The Reform Agenda states clearly that the two must agree before anything is passed. There may be some MP'S who are on Kibaki's side (obviously his allies), but actually they are just wasting time because not even the president is above the constitution, so it's matter of time till they get to reality.
And kudos to Mr. Marende who is disciplining these boys very wisely without taking sides with any. He's the man of the moment with the Kenyan populace right now, truly standing by people's will and the constitution.

too old not to think properly and wisely

Mkuu, you need to understand Kenyan politics before you give out any verdicts. You need not to insult any one. You need to ask any Kenyan these two questions,
1. Do you support Marende's ruling?, get the answer whether yes or no?
2. Then do you support it because Kibaki did it unconstitutionally or Because Raila was against it? Or Are you against Marende's ruling? be it yes or not, then ask him/her are you against it because it was done by kibaki or because Raila was against Kibaki's nomination? remember in the whole process each side agrees that consultation was there contrary to what Raila had said before. But we need to ask ourselves as to whether consultation means agreement?

Hapo ndo utapata majibu ya maana. As for me, i think the issue is more than we can apparently see therefore we are incapacitated of judging it.

Frankly speaking kuna shida sana Kenya ya kuulizana unatoka wapi and this has made most of them to let leaders from their ethnic attachments think on their behalf. KENYANS THEMSELVES KNOW WHY ARE THEY AGAINST MARENDE'S RULING OR WHY ARE THEY IN SUPPORT OF MARENDE'S RULING!
No wonder the constitutional court rules otherwise. Let's wait.

Paralysis due to what??
Kibaki's time is up and maybe he is being haunted by thoughts of going back to civilian life.
As for the nominations, they are illegal by all means. The Reform Agenda states clearly that the two must agree before anything is passed. There may be some MP'S who are on Kibaki's side (obviously his allies), but actually they are just wasting time because not even the president is above the constitution, so it's matter of time till they get to reality.
And kudos to Mr. Marende who is disciplining these boys very wisely without taking sides with any. He's the man of the moment with the Kenyan populace right now, truly standing by people's will and the constitution.
But he still holds that highest office till 2012 and any enforcement of the new constitution depends wholly on his committment to it! of which i doubt, moreover he has an Army to back up his views of how things should be!

But he still holds that highest office till 2012 and any enforcement of the new constitution depends wholly on his committment to it! of which i doubt, moreover he has an Army to back up his views of how things should be!

Well, as I told you, "they are just wasting time because not even the president is above the constitution, so it's matter of time till they get to reality". Because this time round there is no army to back anyone up, it's up to the people to decide. And it took less than what I expected to come to this.

See the latest news:
Kenya Broadcasting Corporation: - KBC News

That's our president.

KATIBA MPYA MAMBO MAPYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as martha karua said, katiba has won the first round. kenyans still gotta stay watchful or else kibaki will try to dupe us again because it is not over

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom