Kenya's first openly gay candidate ready for a fight!!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Kenya's First Openly Gay Candidate Knuckles Down for Bruising Battle

david-kuria_0.jpg

By Mwakilishi | Wed, 09/19/2012 02:29PM -0400

Kenya's first openly gay man to run for elective office says he hopes voters in the east African country will view him as a honest person.

Mr David Kuria is running for the senate seat in Kiambu County of central Kenya, one of several elective positions created by a new constitution passed in August 2010.

But in a country where attitudes towards homosexuals remain solidly conservative, he recognises that his sexual orientation will pose an extra challenge for the already competitive seat.

"People may not see beyond the issue of sexual orientation and listen to my agenda," he told the Daily Nation, the country's largest circulating newspaper.

He has gone against the advice of many to marry and hopes that the discrimination he has faced will allow him to better represent others in Kenyan society who are marginalised.

The 40-year-old, who holds a Masters in Business Administration, says he has developed a campaign message based on reforming laws and other barriers that prevent access to HIV services, and on fighting poverty.

He is presently the general manager of the Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK).

Kenyans online are already divided over his candidacy ahead of the March 4, 2013 poll.

"David Kuria should understand, first and foremost, that politics and honesty have absolutely nothing in common. Politics is about dishonesty, you need to begin from there," A blogger identified by his web handle of Rofi, wrote.

"We're still a conservative society," another blogger, Sang Kosi, noted.

Others are more encouraging. Said Joe Kitele: "Mr Kuria has every right to contest."

"Congratulations Mr Kuria for overcoming your fears by boldly coming out to contest for that seat...all the best, sincerely," said Ason.

And other readers remained on the fence.

"Since Mr Kuria has chosen to embrace gay life, he would just have to live with the social stigma the rest of his community that do not share his values in this regard may present to him. As long as he is not forbidden to campaign for his seat of interest, he should be content," Jean Obunde wrote.

Kenya's First Openly Gay Candidate Knuckles Down for Bruising Battle | Mwakilishi.com

I am really interested in knowing of his opinion if he really think he will win... Seeing as he is all honest and that...

wakikuyu nao wameendelea lol

Duh wameendelea sana lol!! Nafikiri mawazo yao yote yapo kwenye chapaa na kama wataweza kuendeleza cartel ya kulinda ukwasi wao.....hayo ya gay ni kama hayawapi muda saana

If one to be a gay doesn't associate with acts of sodomization personally I would supporting him to 100%. But if to be a gay means to be sodomized, I wouldn't support him.

hebu nihabarishe as to what you mean by the highlighted part of your post Roulette

As you know I support the gay (tuseme GLTB in general) struggle to have the same right as heterosexuals. I don't think people's sexuality can affect their ability to lead, to take political decisions or to represent other constituencies. If this was the case basi most of the politicians shouldn't even be candidates. I salute his courage in getting out of the closet.

ha ha haa labda anataka kutembelea mombasa soon lol
Supporting the GLTB struggle does not mean I am one myself. In the same reasoning, condemning them does not necessarly mean that I'm not one of them. I am one of the 7 billion humans living in this planet and I believe that when two adults consent freely to get involved intimately, nobody should come between them to prevent them or to intimidate them. I also believe that the choice they make in doing that should not be used to prevent them from enjoying the same rights as other human beings. who are we to say what is wrong and what is right? what if we are all right? or worse, what if we were all wrong? anyway, ngoja nikanywe... chai...

Usenge hadi katika siasa! Huyu siasa za Kenya anazigeuza za kisenge siyo? Kama kuna ******* wengi basi atachaguliwa ila nina wasi wasi.

Back
Top Bottom