Kagasheki warned professional hunters against using financial muscles by bribing officials

R.B

JF-Expert Member
May 10, 2012
The Minister for Natural Resources and Tourism, Ambassador Khamis Kagasheki, has warned professional hunters against using financial muscles by bribing officials at the ministry to sidestep procedures in order to hasten their applications.

Speaking at the opening of an all-member dialogue, that brought together members of the Tanzania Safari Outfitters Association (TASOA) in Dar es Salaam on Wednesday, the minister emphatically said corruption started with rich hunters who would entice some officials to evade laid down regulations.

"You have a lot of cash, that much I know. Some of you have become sources of bad influence to government officials. Please stop bribing them and let them perform their duties professionally. As a result, some of you have their requests attended quickly while others have to wait for so long. This is not proper."
He had more: "It is my duty to prove to President Jakaya Kikwete and the people of Tanzania that I deserve the trust they have put on me. How come an individual is found in possession of more than eight hunting blocks under different names? This is unacceptable and the legislation on hunting blocks allocation is bad and must be revisited," he said.
The minister gave an example of Section 39: 3b of the legislation that talks about the obligatory shares to be in the hands of indigenous title-holders. "I have no problem with that. The problem comes when some of them decide to sell the hunting blocks they have been licensed to. This is not proper because the intention was to acquire the blocks and utilize them properly. Racketeering is intolerable," Kagasheki emphasized.
He also challenged TASOA members to do justice to the people of Tanzania in light of the available resources when haggling for professional hunting fees which were comparatively nominal. Killing a crocodile, for example, would cost 1,500 US dollars while fees are exorbitantly high in other parts of the world.
However, the minister made it clear that good progress of the industry would depend on cooperation, openness and ingenuity among stakeholders. "The forum marks a meaningful beginning to pave way to win-win situation. I want you to get money and the nation as well. We cannot run away from challenges. Postponing problems is not an option," he said.
It was explained that the hunting industry contributed 13.7 million US dollars to national coffers, while gains from the tour industry as a whole, to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), reaches 1.6 billion US dollars. "This is not enough. More needs to be done. We need cash to make the improvements," he said.
Responding to the speech by the minister during an interview, Federico Gellini from Safari Club Tanzania Ltd said the minister had spoken very well and brought new insight to the industry. "I have been in this profession for 22 years. Openness in sharing concerns can help increase efficiency and eliminate corruption within the industry. The minister has done the right thing to have this timely dialogue with stakeholders.
However, the government needs to improve infrastructure as well," Federico explained. The Executive Secretary of the Tourism Confederation of Tanzania (TCT) said the issue of hunting fees charged at the moment was negotiable and in essence professional hunting was for trophy and not to make business.
Mossin Abdallah proposed immediate review of policies and bureaucratic laws that propelled corruption. "The time set for ownership of hunting blocks (five years) is too short to allow hunters put in place the infrastructure for conservation of the area. What is the point of having a regulation that pushes investors to apply for a licence after every five years?" he asked and pledged cooperation with the ministry.

Hamis-Kagasheki.jpg

Minister Hamis Kagasheki

Ila mwoga . makamanda wa majeshi wa nini? aongee peke yake bila makamanda

Back
Top Bottom