If You See One Of These At The Beach dont touch it

Ashura9

JF-Expert Member
Oct 21, 2012
If You See One Of These At The Beach, Make Sure You Don't Touch It ... Or This Could Happen

If I told you to think of the most dangerous animals on earth, you'd probably imagine some of the stereotypical killing machines like lions, tigers, bears (oh my!), sharks, crocodiles/alligators, or some other generally large animal with scary teeth and claws. You wouldn't be entirely wrong either, these animals have long been associated with danger and are certainly not to be taken lightly. Nature, however, is a tricky mistress. Not all dangers in nature are explicit. In fact, many of the most dangerous animals on earth are things that you wouldn't even think to be afraid of until it was too late.

While claws and razor-sharp teeth are certainly scary, Mother Nature has equipped other animals with a much less obvious weapon, though it's just as deadly (if not more): poisons and venoms. There are countless animals that release toxins into their victims in order to incapacitate them. For some, it's a way to secure prey, while others use it as means of self-defense. In either case, the results for the victim are usually the same - agonizing pain and death.

By the way, if you ever wondered the difference between poison and venom, here's a simple explanation: poison has to be ingested/absorbed, whereas venom is always injected (via stingers, fangs, etc.). For example, certain types of frogs in the rainforest are poisonous because they excrete a toxin that is absorbed via contact, while nearly every type of dangerous snake is venomous because they have to bite you to get the toxin into your bloodstream.

In 2013, Stepan Bako was at the beach in the Bahia region of Brazil when he encountered this odd, jellyfish-like creature.

Source: Wimp.com

I have been stung by one similar to this except it was straw coloured instead of purple. Same size though.

It was just an irritation similar to that of Stinging Nettle that healed after some hours. I don't think you can get serious damage from them unless they swam on you in their hundreds.

I love animal documentaries, and from what i have heard aboug jellyfish i would rather stay out of the water and give these guys a room.

I hear some even do sting you purposely, this shows how nasty these creatures are.

Funny thing is, their looks are so deceiving. They appear so harmless with their transparent bodies.

Back
Top Bottom