Coal Confirmed in Kenya

Ndahani

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2008
[h=1]Kenya: Commercially Viable Deposits of Coal Confirmed in Mui Basin[/h] By Robert Okemwa Onsare; published on July 26, 2011 at 10:37 am

• 0diggsdigg

inSha​

• inShare4​
Kenya will soon join the Coal mining nations following the confirmation of commercially viable deposits of coal in the Mui Basin, in Mwingi East, Mwingi Central and Mutitu Districts.
The Government of Kenya has moved to divide the coal blocks within the basin into concessions for the purposes of private sector exploration, exploitation and development. Feasibility investigations showed that there are at least 275 million metric tonnes of coal in the basin where the Ministry of Energy has concentrated drilling activities.
An inter–ministerial committee has been in place establishing policies for licensing the exploitation, mining and development of coal. Membership of the committee includes the Ministry of Energy, Ministry of Environment and Mineral Resources, the Treasury, Ministry of Industrialization, State Law Office and National Environment Management Authority (NEMA).
Companies wishing to exploit the coal will need a funding base of more than $100 million. So far more than 71 wells have been drilled in the Mui Basin. Of these, more than 40 wells have intercepted coals at various depths. The depth of the coal wells in the basin range from 75 to 455 metres below ground level. The number of coal seams in each well ranges from one to six with coal seams varying in thickness from less than one metre to 13 metres.
Analysis of the coal has been carried out within Kenya by the University of Nairobi and the materials branch laboratories of the Ministry of Roads as well as abroad in the UK, Malawi and South Africa. The laboratory tests have confirmed that the coal varies in quality and grade from lignite to sub-bituminous to bituminous with a calorific value averaging 18 MJ/Kg.
Each company that will be involved in the exploitation will be given an opportunity to to develop at least a 300 megawatts power plant. Any surplus coal could be used for cement manufacture, iron and steel manufacture or conversion to liquid fuels.
Currently, 67 percent of Kenya’s power is generated from hydro sources, 10 per cent from geo-thermal and 23 per cent from thermal. The Ministry of Energy’s Chief Geologist, Mr. John Omenge, explained the importance of coal to Kenya:
“The anticipated mining and development of the Mui Basin coal will greatly benefit the country as it will provide the much needed power and input for various industries.
“Coal is the cheapest source of power. Mui Basin coal could, therefore, unlock the power deficit currently facing the country as well as spur industrial growth to create wealth and employment and thus reduce poverty in line with Vision 2030.
“Coal demand worldwide is increasing as countries search for cheap electricity for their growing economies.”
Mr Omenge says Mui coals compare favorably with the South Africa coals, Eskom & Vaal. Other countries producing coal from within the Karoo formation which extends into Kenya are Swaziland, Botswana, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Tanzania.
The ministry has called all the stakeholders including communities residing in the Mui Basin to support the Government’s effort to encourage prudent mining and full development of the resource.
According to the Ministry of Energy, national benefits of Mui Basin coal will include growth of the coal sub–sector, enhanced energy security, macro industrial development and growth of other industries. Local benefits might include shared revenues accrued from coal mining, local employment, stimulation of local business, improved infrastructure and Corporate Social Responsibility projects.

Source: Kenya: Commercially Viable Deposits of Coal Confirmed in Mui Basin | The Global Herald

Ngoja tuone majirani zetu wataenda vipi baada ya wiki ya kutangaza utajiri wa natural resources. Probably we could get a place to bench mark ourselves and gauge how we fair.

Ngoja tuone majirani zetu wataenda vipi baada ya wiki ya kutangaza utajiri wa natural resources. Probably we could get a place to bench mark ourselves and gauge how we fair.

Good LUCK has tangled itself up to our neighbors. In our African Traditional beliefs it may result in us believing those lost lives of Kenyans as a result of Alashabaab has posed as a Sacrifice to the Gods..... I have failed to resist remarking this out of jibe (I kid)

On a Serious note: We don't need to see how the Kenyan's will fare in their new found resources to feel shameful. We just have to look at Ruanda. Paul Kagame is doing Wonders... In the economy sector, In the health sector, In education sector and the results are evident! Regardless of one of the great genocide in human history.... And wala sio mbali... ni juzi juzi tu tulikua tukisikia vifo vya kikatili dhidi yao wenyewe.... To be able to overcome that.... Requires a President who is not just a President but a Leader.

Good LUCK has tangled itself up to our neighbors. In our African Traditional beliefs it may result in us believing those lost lives of Kenyans as a result of Alashabaab has posed as a Sacrifice to the Gods..... I have failed to resist remarking this out of jibe (I kid)

On a Serious note: We don't need to see how the Kenyan's will fare in their new found resources to feel shameful. We just have to look at Ruanda. Paul Kagame is doing Wonders... In the economy sector, In the health sector, In education sector and the results are evident! Regardless of one of the great genocide in human history.... And wala sio mbali... ni juzi juzi tu tulikua tukisikia vifo vya kikatili dhidi yao wenyewe.... To be able to overcome that.... Requires a President who is not just a President but a Leader.

I really know your post has some truth and I agree that the "sacrifice" has a lot to do with the current luck on findings of natural resources lOl. When you say kenya needs a leader and a leader indeed, I can give you a leader who we have had and that is Moi. Even across EA, No leader in the past or near future can reach Mois stature based on his leadership doctrines of peace, yet there was little on the ground happening in terms of economic development, escalations of corruption in parastatals, dilapidation of roads, and using of state machinery to meet their selfish ends.

So when your ordinary mwananchi are being pampered with peace messages, make sure not to trust those who you call leaders. Try to see what they are doing within government. It is also a blessing for an ordinary mwananchi to have a voice to be a whistle blower which we have not seen in many african countries. Kenya has now embraced a working democracy, and we know the initial challenges that entail a democracy.

When you finally come to embrace democratic principles in your politics, you will understand what I am trying to mean and where we are at the moment. We cannot rely on extremes of both poor leadership and just plain leadership. Leaders can sometimes also lack what we call vision for the future generation. With good leadership as good as it is, the future generation cannot just rely on its legacy. The current findings on resources may be a blessing or a curse depending on the type of leadership. I believe kenya is on a path to a real, reliable, and stable democracy. What is happening now I can say is teething problems within our leadership, which will not last long.

I really know your post has some truth and I agree that the "sacrifice" has a lot to do with the current luck on findings of natural resources lOl. When you say kenya needs a leader and a leader indeed, I can give you a leader who we have had and that is Moi. Even across EA, No leader in the past or near future can reach Mois stature based on his leadership doctrines of peace, yet there was little on the ground happening in terms of economic development, escalations of corruption in parastatals, dilapidation of roads, and using of state machinery to meet their selfish ends.

So when your ordinary mwananchi are being pampered with peace messages, make sure not to trust those who you call leaders. Try to see what they are doing within government. It is also a blessing for an ordinary mwananchi to have a voice to be a whistle blower which we have not seen in many african countries. Kenya has now embraced a working democracy, and we know the initial challenges that entail a democracy.

When you finally come to embrace democratic principles in your politics, you will understand what I am trying to mean and where we are at the moment. We cannot rely on extremes of both poor leadership and just plain leadership. Leaders can sometimes also lack what we call vision for the future generation. With good leadership as good as it is, the future generation cannot just rely on its legacy. The current findings on resources may be a blessing or a curse depending on the type of leadership. I believe kenya is on a path to a real, reliable, and stable democracy. What is happening now I can say is teething problems within our leadership, which will not last long.

Well about Moi, when we talk/discuss about leadership it does not only have to stand on a single trait as a definition mode of the leader in question… Several traits and attributes? YES! Be it they are negative via an Autocratic Leader OR be it Positive via a Democratic Leader. For Moi IMHO it was kind of easy…. That groundwork of being a good leader in doctrines of Peace where indirectly handed to him by Kenyatta (Take note Kenyata was considered as one of the forces the Country’s independence; thus an “inevitable” respect from the majority regardless the origin of the ethnic group of one – and it is in my belief Moi was Kenyatta’s fav).

Placing weight on your last Paragraph…. I agree with you (thou feeling really painful in the process of agreement! Lol) That Kenya is going places in terms of the right path to a reliable and stable democracy compared to Tanzania…. In what ever way it will turn out; I acquaint with you one thing… I bet it is going to be better set to use (the new found resources) for wananchi wa Kenya hawachekei ujinga. Well walaji hawatakosa BUT what matters is that the work will be done. And that is justified by the portrayal of efforts of most of the Leaders in the Kenyan Government. The issue Kenya has to stop overlooking is that they are in strong tied groups of ethnicity….. A catastrophic entity to harmony and development of a nation.

Good for them, ila huwa siamini maneno ya wanasiasa ikija kuongelea reserves za madini, maana huwa wanatangaza tu reserves kwa inteest zao za kisiasa.
Nikiona report ya kijiolojia ndo ntaamini.

IVi izi issues ni serious au wanatania maana ni ivi punde tuu walisema wana Wese leo wana Coal ndani ya mwezi huu huu
Nadhani by April watasema wana Uranium maana imekaa kipropaganda sana izi discoveries!
Kama kweli all the best,by the way uchaguzi wao ni lini maana usije kuta kuna link apo!

Yap, possible geologically.

Ningeshangaa wangesema coal na dhahabu.
IVi izi issues ni serious au wanatania maana ni ivi punde tuu walisema wana Wese leo wana Coal ndani ya mwezi huu huu
Nadhani by April watasema wana Uranium maana imekaa kipropaganda sana izi discoveries!
Kama kweli all the best,by the way uchaguzi wao ni lini maana usije kuta kuna link apo!

coal was discovered not today or yesterday but as far as last year. Establishment of its commercial viability was the only puzzle impeding mining. Its official, we host 400 million tonnes of the black rock against Kenyas net consumption of 15,000 tonnes p.a (imported). Its a good discovery.

Tunaweza pata mahali penye report za kijiolojia?
Haya kila siku tunayasikia TZ, mgodi utaanza mahali very soon, kumbe ounce zenyewe za mawazo.

coal was discovered not today or yesterday but as far as last year. Establishment of its commercial viability was the only puzzle impeding mining. Its official, we host 400 million tonnes of the black rock against Kenyas net consumption of 15,000 tonnes p.a (imported). Its a good discovery.

I thought those many trips to western countries by our leaders in the past few years have made them leaders and not beggers. Sijui itakuwaje kama mambo hayako hivyo.

Who knows? Time will tell kama ni kweli au ni porojo tu.

Moi? Of all the people? Why a trusted leader now? Is he not a father of all election manipulations?

Good for them, ila huwa siamini maneno ya wanasiasa ikija kuongelea reserves za madini, maana huwa wanatangaza tu reserves kwa inteest zao za kisiasa.
Nikiona report ya kijiolojia ndo ntaamini.
Even time will prove them right or wrong...ripoti inaweza kuwa ngumu kwa kina sisi tusioelewa vizuri miamba au geo tech engineering

Tunaweza pata mahali penye report za kijiolojia?
Haya kila siku tunayasikia TZ, mgodi utaanza mahali very soon, kumbe ounce zenyewe za mawazo.

http://www.coastweek.com/3512_16.htm
Kenya will soon stop the importation of coal following the discovery ofcommercial deposits amounting to about 400million metric tones.Kenya’s Chief Geologist John Omenge said in Nairobi.
Omenge said following the surface mapping for coal in the Mui Basin between 2001 and 2004, ground geophysical surveys over the entire basin using magnetic and resistivity methods, the thickness of the sediments resulting from the examinations and the subsequent drilling of 10 exploratory wells registered encouraging results.
He said with the new locally available coal, the country will be able to manufacture its own iron, steel and their related products thereby making savings on some of the money Kenya spends on importing the imports.

Kenya will soon stop the importation of coal following the discovery ofcommercial deposits amounting to about 400million metric tones.Kenya's Chief Geologist John Omenge said in Nairobi.
Omenge said following the surface mapping for coal in the Mui Basin between 2001 and 2004, ground geophysical surveys over the entire basin using magnetic and resistivity methods, the thickness of the sediments resulting from the examinations and the subsequent drilling of 10 exploratory wells registered encouraging results.
He said the 400 million metric tones of coal.He said with the new locally available coal, thecountry will be able to manufacture its own iron, steel and their related products thereby making savings on some of the money Kenya spends on importing the imports.

Sisi tunagawa kila kitu kwa wawekezaji.Yaani we acha tu

Owkay, that's good

Haya mageo wa kitanzania, fursa hiyo ya soko la pamoja, u-Expatriate huu hapa.

Kenya will soon stop the importation of coal following the discovery ofcommercial deposits amounting to about 400million metric tones.Kenya’s Chief Geologist John Omenge said in Nairobi.
He said with the new locally available coal, the country will be able to manufacture its own iron, steel and their related products thereby making savings on some of the money Kenya spends on importing the imports.

Katika fani ambayo watanzania ma-expatriate ni wengi ni fani ya madini.
Ni kwa sababu ni coal na mafuta, watanzania hawana uzoefu sana, ila ingekuwa dhahabu, wasingekuwa na option.

Boys are doing great job nenda Congo utawakubali tu, na west Africa wameanza kwenda pia.
Ujue madini kama huna uzoefu lazima uite tu watu waje wakusaidie hakuna kubabaisha.

Duuh hawa jamaa wanakubali mtu akafanye kazi kule? Watakuzulia kuwa ni mwizi ili mradi uondoke.

Wish Kenyans (not Kenya) all the best on their new found 'wealth'.However,Kibaki is like a fox who knows how to manipulate kenyans as they grossly underrate his manipulation capacity.With the announcement of the 'abundant oil reserves' and substantial coal reserves wananchi have forgotten that he is going to be around til June,next year.They have forgotten about the cabinet reshuffle...surely it has been a nice week for Kenya but let us wait and see how events unfold....A by the way statement that I liked 'our reserves is probably bigger than that of Uganda',clearly Kenya was crying,sulking and cursing over the small matter of Uganda's oil.

Back
Top Bottom