Capello criticises Terry for speaking to media

ngoshwe

JF-Expert Member
Mar 31, 2009
Capello’s the Squadfather

SNN2207GX1-682_1070112a.jpg

The Don ... Fabio Capello rapped John Terry for 'disrespect'

FABIO Capello slammed his former captain John Terry last night for making "a very big mistake" in casting doubt on the way the England World Cup camp is run.

The tough-talking Italian also said Terry had been wrong to suggest Joe Cole should start against Slovenia tomorrow - saying it showed "disrespect" to his team-mates.
And last night Terry apologised to Capello and his team-mates for his comments at a press conference on Sunday.

SNN2207X-380_1070089a.jpg
Friendly ... Capello denies there is any tension in the England camp

He said: "I went in with the intention of being honest. I was asked a question about Joe Cole and maybe I went too far.
"But it was never my intention to upset the manager or the players and if I did upset anyone, I apologise. I have told the manager he has my total support and I would like to stress I don't believe I have been a disruptive influence in the camp."
The apology followed Capello re-establishing himself as a Godfather-style "Don" last night after claims of a players' mutiny.

And he was backed by midfielder Frank Lampard, who said: "We have faith in him. The manager has the complete respect of everybody and we are all working together."
Capello said Terry should not have said anything. He added: "When you speak you have to speak privately, nobody speak with you (the media). This is a very big mistake.
"You have to speak with the players, with me, with the others, with the dressing room."
Terry had also suggested he and other senior players would vent their frustration at the management in a meeting. The meeting went ahead but his plan to air grievances had no support from his team-mates.

SNN2206Z-682_1070113a.jpg
Laying down the law ... the squad pay close attention as Fabio Capello gives his instructions

Players were believed to have backed down after being warned beforehand not to confront no-nonsense disciplinarian Capello, who let it be known that he is still the boss.
On Terry's remarks about Joe Cole, Capello said: "It is a mistake when you speak about one player because there is no respect for the other.
"Sometimes when you speak you have to be careful. I respect Joe Cole. He is one of the 23 players here. Also the other players, you have to respect each one."

SNN2206V-682_1070111a.jpg

I'm the boss ... Capello and Terry at training

During Sunday's meeting the team watched a DVD of their draw against Algeria but no players commented, as Terry had anticipated.
Capello said: "I don't stop the tape, never stopped the tape and the players saw what really happened. I think it was enough. Usually I speak with the players about the mistakes, about the things that were really good, everything. This time I decided everyone can learn something about this game."

SNN2206H-682_1070090a.jpg
Hard work ... Wayne Rooney and John Terry train

He added: "Look, I spoke with some players and I think it is only John Terry said this (that there would be comments at the meeting).

"No one speak with me about the problems. If he want to speak with me he can. Every time when I have a meeting I ask the captain, 'Problems? You want to say something?' Never. I read just yesterday that John Terry said this. I don't understand why he don't speak with me."
Capello revealed yesterday that Matthew Upson will play alongside Terry in defence tomorrow and added: "I will probably change some others."
He refused to be drawn on his future if England failed to reach the last 16.

Read more: Capello’s the Squadfather | The Sun |News

The outcast: Slapped down by Capello, shunned by his team-mates and still smarting at losing captaincy over his affair, mutineer John Terry is forced to apologise

By Michael Seamark and Matt Lawton

Last updated at 1:47 AM on 22nd June 2010

article-0-0A1EA36F000005DC-56_306x423.jpg
Public apology: Disgraced former England captain John Terry attempted a mutiny against manager Fabio Capello

On the eve of England's make or break World Cup tie, John Terry was last night forced into a humiliating public apology to his manager and team-mates.
The disgraced ex-captain sparked turmoil in the crisis-hit England camp with an attempted 'mutiny' against hard-line coach Fabio Capello.
With the team's pathetic performances making tomorrow afternoon's crucial match against Slovenia a 'must-win' game, Terry had publicly tried to undermine his coach by questioning the Italian's judgment, training methods and team selection.
But his 'Cape Town Coup' collapsed after other senior players angrily refused to back his extraordinary public attack on the £6million-a-year manager.
Last night Terry, 29, was slapped down by Capello who said he had made a 'very big mistake'.
A contrite Terry, who has been smarting ever since being sacked as captain by his manager after it was revealed he had an affair with Vanessa Perroncel, exgirlfriend of team-mate Wayne Bridge, said: 'I went into yesterday's press conference with the intention of being honest. I was asked a question. Maybe I went too far.
'But it was never my intention to upset the manager or the players and if I did upset anyone, I apologise. I have told the manager he has my total support and I would like to stress that I don't believe I have been a disruptive influence in the camp.

article-0-0A1CED2B000005DC-979_634x611.jpg
Under stress: Peter Crouch, Terry and James board the team bus as Fabio Capello sits up front. Capello has come under fire for treating the team 'like teenagers'

'I would now like to put this episode behind me and concentrate on trying to win what is a massive game for England.
'Yesterday all I was trying to do was stress how it important it is to me to try and win the World Cup.'
Terry's dreadful year has also seen the Daily Mail reveal the Chelsea star's personal Wembley box was being 'touted out' for up to £4,000 a match, and his father being spared jail for supplying cocaine to an undercover reporter.
article-0-0A23DC5F000005DC-339_306x768.jpg
Vanessa Perroncel: She had an affair with John Terry, which led to him being sacked as England captain

And in March last year his mother Sue, 51, and mother-in-law Sue Poole, 55, were cautioned for shoplifting after taking £800 worth of clothes and groceries from Marks and Spencer and Tesco.
Last night Capello, 64, reasserted his authority. He said: 'I read what John Terry said this morning. When you speak and to speak publicly, this is a very big mistake. The mistake is you have to speak with the players, with me, with the others in the dressing room.'
Asked by a TV interviewer: 'So that was John Terry's mistake?' the Italian replied: 'Big mistake - but I hope from a big mistake can come out a big performance.'
Capello insisted there were no problems between him and his players, including Terry. 'My door is open always. If he wants to speak with me he can speak with me,' he said.
On Sunday, in what many regarded as an act of revenge against Capello for stripping him of the England captaincy, the £160,000-a-week Chelsea star appeared to attempt an uprising against the Italian.
During the extraordinary press conference, Terry challenged Capello's authority and revealed plans for a crisis meeting that night. Not only did he mischievously name eight senior players who had flouted the Italian manager's alcohol ban with a postmatch beer after their disappointing 0-0 draw with Algeria on Friday night, Terry even appeared to be goading the England boss when he said the squad was going to hold the 'clear the air' meeting with him.
He said: 'People voice their opinions but we have to go out there and do the job. I saw Nicolas Anelka was sent home by France - may be there will be a few of us sent home for voicing our opinions.'
He then promised every player would tell the manager exactly what they thought at their 'no holds barred' meeting, including suggesting tactical changes.'
But all his outburst did was leave the squad in turmoil with a number of senior England players angry at the way he had claimed to be talking on their behalf.
With just two points from their first two games, anything less than a win tomorrow and England's millionaire players will almost certainly be flying home in disgrace.

article-0-0A2141F4000005DC-980_634x433.jpg
Pressure cooker: England manager Fabio Capello takes training yesterday at the Royal Bafokeng Sports Complex, in Rustenburg

article-0-0A1DCF10000005DC-665_634x524.jpg
Cooped up: Glen Johnson, Wayne Rooney, John Terry and David James at their team hotel. Terry revealed that they all had a beer and a talk about tactics after the Algeria game on Friday night

article-0-0A217AA1000005DC-76_634x460.jpg
Calming influence: England's Frank Lampard tried to gloss over the differences in camp yesterday, putting John Terry's actions down to his passionate character

article-1288519-0A1B63AD000005DC-594_306x575.jpg

article-1288519-0A208F15000005DC-239_306x575.jpg

Support: Steven Gerrard's wife, Alex Curran, left, and Wayne Rooney's wife Coleen said they will fly out to South Africa to be by their husbands' sides if that is what they want

article-1288519-0A2416F0000005DC-376_634x396.jpg

Read more: WORLD CUP 2010: Mutineer John Terry forced to apologise | Mail Online