Discussion in 'Kenyan News and Politics' started by Ab-Titchaz, Jun 15, 2011.
PICTURES: Building collapses in Nairobi
Two killed as six-storey building collapses
A rescue team assists one of the survivors who was trapped under debris after a six storey building under construction collapsed in Embakasi on June 14, 2011.
By ASHLEY LIME firstname.lastname@example.org AND ZADOCK ANGIRA email@example.com
Posted Tuesday, June 14 2011 at 21:22
Two construction workers were killed and dozens believed to be trapped after a six-storey building collapsed in Nairobi's Embakasi area.
Rescue efforts were on Tuesday night continuing to save about 14 builders trapped in the rubble.
The incident occurred at about 10.30am, causing commotion in the area. Police said at least two bodies had been pulled out of the rubble.
Up to 50 workers were believed to have been on site at the time of the collapse.
Police Commissioner Matthew Iteere said eight people had been taken to Kenyatta National Hospital with various injuries and 14 others were unaccounted for.
Some of those trapped, he said, could be heard calling for help and rescuers were trying to locate them.
He blamed the tragedy on poor construction methods and failure to follow the right procedures by contractors.
"The problem with the building is structural. My appeal is to all contractors, people who are putting up buildings in all areas of Nairobi, to adhere to the structural instructions.
"The Nairobi City Council, Department of Planning and other relevant departments must make sure buildings are built according to the required specifications," said Mr Iteere.
National Disaster Operation Centre deputy director, Col Joseph King'ori, who was present at the scene said:
"The challenge we faced was accessing the site... the roads are narrow and not in a good state. The people in the area came directly to the operational area hindering progress".
He added that police had to be brought in to disperse the crowd that had become unmanageable. Police used teargas and dogs to scare people away from the scene to allow rescuers to work.
"Unfortunately, Kenyans always run towards a disaster instead of running away from it. The construction was not proper as it looks like a very weak building and it just gave in to the pressure that was there.
"The composition was not good because you can see that the cement and water combination was not well done," said Col King'ori.
Red Cross spokeswoman Nelly Muluka said that their Search and Rescue teams were trying to retrieve bodies.
Mr Justus Malonza, a survivor, blamed construction engineers for failing to adhere to the required standards.
"I can't know if the building was up to standard. It is the work of engineers to know that since we are just jua kali people who come to earn our daily bread with this work," said Mr Malonza.
The 26-year-old escaped by shielding himself behind doors placed against the wall.
He had gone to fetch water at a corner of the ground floor where he was plastering walls when sand started pouring on his head. This was followed by a loud crash.
Idadi ya watu waliofariki kufuatia kuporomoka kwa jengo la orofa sita jijini Nairobi sasa imefikia watu watatu.
Watu wengine wapatao 14 wangali wamefunikwa na vifusi vya jengo hilo ambalo lilikuwa linaendelea kujengwa.
Wote watatu waliofariki na hali kadhalika wale ambao wangali wamefunikwa na vifusi walikuwa ni mafundi wa jengo hilo.
Afisa mkuu wa mawasiliano wa shirika la msalaba mwekundu la Kenya, Bi Nelly Muluka, ameimbia BBC kuwa kufikia Jumatano mchana hakuna hata mtu mmoja ambaye ameokolewa toka vifusi jengo hilo.
[h=2]Michanga ikiporomoka[/h]" Tangu jana shughuli za uokozi haija faulu kumtoa mtu hata mmoja toka vifusi hivyo lakini tungali tunaendelea, hatujakata tamaa", Bi Muluka amesema.
Jengo hilo lililoko mtaa wa Embakasi jijini Nairobi liliporomoka Jumanne saa nne asubuhi, mara tu mafundi kuanza shughuli zao za ujenzi.
Justus Malonza ambae ni mmoja wa mafundi hao lakini alinusurika alisema wakati wa tukio hilo alikuwa chini akijitayarisha kupeleka maji ya ujenzi hadi orofa ya sita. Wakati huo ndio alisikia michanga ikiporomoka toka juu.
" Mara nikasikia udongo umeniangukia na kabla sijajua kilichokuwa kikitendeka nilisika kishindo. Sikujua kilichofuatia. Nimejikuta tu katika gari la kubebea wagonjwa", Malonza alieleza.
Fundi huyo manusura anashukuru kwamba mbali na mshtuko , hakupata majeraha yeyote.
[h=2]Watu wa kujitolea[/h]Kwa wakati huu bado shughuli za uokozi zinaendelea zikiongozwa na Jeshi la Kenya na polisi wakishirikiana na shirika la Msalaba Mwekundu, maafisa wa baraza la mji wa Nairobi, kikosi cha zima moto na watu wa kujitolea.
Naibu katibu Mkuu wa shirika la Msalaba mwekundu la Kenya Daktari James Kisia amesema kadiri muda unavyokwenda ndivyo uwezekano wa kuwakuta waliokwama kwenye vifusi hivyo wakiwa hai unavyozidi kididimia.
" Jana tulikuwa tunaweza kuwasiliana na wale ambao wamekwama lakini leo hali ni tufauti, hatuwasikii kabisa.Pengine wanajaribu kuhifadhi nguvu na pumzi zao kwani hawajakula kitu chochote tangu walipokwama", Dkt Kisia ameeleza.
Hii sio mara ya kwanza kwa kisa kama hiki kutokea nchini Kenya.
[h=2]Ufisadi[/h]Mwaka 2006, jengo moja liliporomoka mjini Nairobi na kusababisha vifo vya watu zaidi ya 10 na kuwajeruhi wengine 70.
Miaka mitatu baadaye jengo lengine ambalo lilikuwa lingali linajengwa liliporomoka wilayani Kiambu karibu na Nairobi na kusababisha vifo vya watu sita.
Mbunge wa Embakasi Ferdinand Waititu , analaumu maafisa wa serikali na wa mabaraza ya miji kwa ongezeko la matukio ya majumba kuporomoka.
Mbunge huyo anasema licha ya kwamba mabaraza ya miji yana wahandisi wengi waliohitimu lakini ugonjwa mkubwa ni ufisadi kwani maafisa hao wanaidhinisha ujenzi kinyume na sheria na pia kutofuatilia ili kuangalia jinsi ujenzi unavyoendelea.
BBC Swahili - Habari - Watatu wafariki ,14 wazikwa hai Nairobi