August 2008, 2009: Bolt sets new 100m world record

Bolt runs fastest ever 150m

_45788330_street_226_ap.jpg
Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt ran the fastest ever 150m on Sunday in a street race held in a chilly and windy Manchester.

Bolt came home in 14.35sec, beating the previous best recorded by Italian Pietro Mennea of 14.8 in 1983. Britain's Marlon Devonish was second in 15.07sec.

In the women's race, American Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie clocked 16.54sec to beat Britain's Olympic 400m gold medallist Christine Ohuruogu, who ran 17.10sec.

Jamaican Bolt, 22, had earlier predicted he would smash his own world 100m record this year.

He said bettering his world record of 9.69 seconds that he set in Beijing last August "shouldn't be a problem" this year.

"My coach expressed his views in Beijing, saying I could run 9.54, and I can definitely do that," he told the BBC.

"I still feel goose bumps when I hear or watch the Beijing 100m, it feels good to know I've done such a wonderful thing.
"But the 100m final was just another day for me. I knew I was going to win - I was feeling good, my starts were better and that was my main concern, so I wasn't really worried.
"I don't really think about (breaking the record again) but I think it's possible if everything goes well in training."

Asked how long he hoped to remain a force in world athletics, Bolt forecast he would be a threat until at least 2015.
"I can be at the top for six years if I want," he said. "That's the aim for me. My main goal is to make myself a legend and I'm going to work really hard to do that."

Meanwhile, Ethiopian Haile Gebrselassie comfortably won the Great Manchester Run by 34 seconds with Kenyan Vivian Cheruiyot's winning the women's race.

However, Gebrselassie failed in his bid to reclaim his world 10km record as gusting winds made his task impossible.
The 36-year-old - holder of 26 world records during his career - eased to victory but found a strong headwind in the final five kilometres impossible to overcome as he failed to better the world best mark of 27 minutes one second run by Kenya's Micah Kogo at the end of March.

Gebrselassie, whose major target this year is the Berlin Marathon in September, timed 27minutes 39seconds ahead of Ali Zaied of Libya (28:13) and Ukrainian veteran Sergiy Lebid (28:36).
The two-time Olympic 10,000m champion said that he had felt confident in the first-half of the race but realised as the contest entered the final 5km that he would not succeed.
"Today it was wonderful in the first half but on the way back the wind was horrible," said Gebrselassie, who nevertheless posted the fourth fastest time in the world this year.
"I wanted to run a world record, but in the second half it proved too difficult."

Source: EuroSport

"Bolt rules out 2012 hat-trick bid

_45861006_bolt_new226.jpg

Double Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt will not be going for a hat-trick of individual titles at London 2012.

It had been suggested that Bolt would look to try and add the 400m crown to the 100m and 200m golds he won in Beijing last year.

But the Jamaican, 22, dismissed the possibility of adding to his schedule.
"I never actually said that I could run three events. I may be doing 100m and 200m, or 200m and 400m, but not all three," Bolt said.
"I don't think that I could do that at one track meet, so somebody got it wrong along the line."

Bolt, who was also part of the winning 4x100m team in Beijing in August, has set up a track club in Kingston to aid the next generation of sprinters.
The Racers Track Club, which has Bolt's coach Glen Mills as president, coaches athletes for the 100m, 200m, 400m and 400m hurdles.

Twenty-three athletes, including two female sprinters, are currently training at the club, with the sprinters coming from around the Caribbean and Africa.
"I know a few of them come prepared every day to win," added Bolt.

"Some are here because of me, but they are targeting me and want to beat me, which is something that I welcome and I look forward to them coming here."

Bolt, the world record holder over both 100m and 200m, ran the fastest 150m in history to win a street race in Manchester last month.

Kwa hisani ya BBC SPORTS

Bolt rules out threat to record

Olympic champion Usain Bolt has dismissed Tyson Gay's claims that he can steal his world 100m record.

Jamaican Bolt holds the record with 9.69 seconds set at the 2008 Beijing Games but Gay says he may beat that after clocking 9.75 at the US trials.
_45939520_007509960.jpg

_45975555_007554283-1.jpg

"No disrespect to Tyson but that is going to be a hard task for him, he is more of a 200m runner," Bolt said.

Bolt ran the fastest non-assisted time of the year with 9.86 to beat Asafa Powell and capture the Jamaican title.

Powell was quicker out of the blocks in Kingston but Bolt overtook him midway through the race and was able to ease to victory.

"It was good. I am just happy that I finished injury-free and I am feeling good," he said.

Asked about Powell's progress, Bolt added: "I would say Asafa is coming into shape and that is a good thing, his ankle is getting better. It is going to be a good season, as soon as he gets into shape its going to be very interesting."
Into a 0.2 negative wind, Powell, who said he was still experiencing discomfort with an ankle injury, clocked 9.97 to finish second.

"It was a fairly good race because I am basically running on one leg, so I'm fairly happy," he said. "The aim was just to finish in the top two.

"The ankle has really surprised me - I thought it would be gone by now but (the problem is) still there."

Gay failed to qualify for the final in Beijing last year after injury hampered his preparations but has the chance to test Bolt in the world championships in Berlin in August.

He was in confident mood after a speedy, albeit wind-assisted 9.75 seconds in his first 100m of the season at the US world championship trials in Eugene, Oregon on Thursday.

But Bolt played down suggestions that his world record was in danger and said: "He had a lot of (wind) assistance for that time. It is going to be very hard for him."

BBC SPORT | Athletics | Bolt qualifies for World Championships

Last edited:
Bolt storms to stunning victory

Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt ran the fourth-fastest 200m time in history as he stormed to victory in appalling conditions at the Lausanne Grand Prix.

Bolt ran 19.59 seconds despite a strong headwind and heavy rain in Switzerland.

Olympic 400m champion Lashawn Merritt was second with Shawn Crawford fourth, while Asafa Powell won the 100m.

Asked if he would have broken the world record in better weather Bolt said: "I don't even think of it in those terms, I was just trying to test myself."

The 22-year-old Jamaican admitted that there was still room for improvement ahead of next month's world championships, but was otherwise pleased with his form.

"I'm in good shape, but I'm not fully ready yet. I still need to work on a few technical things," said the 100m and 200m world record holder.

Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser continued Jamaica's domination in the sprints as they won the men's and women's 100m respectively.

Powell finished comfortably ahead of compatriot Steve Mullings in a time of 10.07 seconds, with American Mike Rodgers third.
Fraser won the women's 100m in 11.03, ahead of American Carmelita Jeter.

BBC Radio 5 Live's athletic's correspondent Mike Costello said Bolt's stunning performance showed that "any Beijing hangover is beginning to dissolve".

"The sport's greatest attraction showed that he is now back to his best," added Costello.

"The time was one-hundredth of a second slower than American Tyson Gay ran in New York five weeks ago.

"But whereas Gay had the conditions very much in his favour, Bolt ran in driving rain and a strong headwind.

"Bolt versus Gay at the world championships in Berlin next month will be contests to savour."

Costello added that Powell's display in the 100m meant he "could frighten even Bolt and Gay" in Germany.

Cuban Dayron Robles, the Olympic 110m hurdles gold medallist, continued his unbeaten summer, winning in a time of 13.18.

Nottingham's European number one Andy Turner finished fifth, posting a mark of 13.55 in his last race before this weekend's Aviva World trials in Birmingham.

Britain's Chris Tomlinson was fourth in the long jump with a distance of 7.92m. South Africa's Godfrey Mokoena won the event with a jump of 8.05m.

Fellow Brit Germaine Mason was sixth in the high jump, which was won by Jaroslav Baba of the Czech Republic in 2.26m.

Source: BBC SPORTS

_46111137_bolt_crossesline_getty512.jpg

Bolt wins London 100m at a canter

Triple Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt blew away the field to win the 100m in style at the London Grand Prix.

Despite racing into a strong headwind, the Jamaican eased ahead of the field after 50m and strode clear before high-stepping over the line in 9.91 seconds.

His team-mate Yohan Blake was a distant second in 10.11, while Britain's Simeon Williamson finished in fourth with Jamaica's Asafa Powell back in sixth.
"I'm not invincible," Bolt told BBC Sport after the race.

More at BBC SPORTS: Athletics

_46140631_gay.jpg

Tyson Gay swept to victory in the 100m at the Super Grand Prix in Stockholm in a time of 9.79 seconds.

The 26-year-old American's effort was a mere two-hundredths of a second slower than his world's best mark this season - set in Rome on 10 July.

He said: "This race proved that I am in form and was important in terms of the World Championships (15-23 August)."

More at BBC SPORTS

Fainali leo huko Berlin... Bolt vs Gay Uwanja utakuwa hautoshi

Bolt sets record to win 100m gold

_46215505_bolt2_av512.jpg

Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt set a new world record as he stormed to a stunning victory in the 100m at the World Championships in Berlin. The 22-year-old Jamaican recorded a time of 9.58 seconds to shave 0.11 off the mark he set last year when winning gold at the Beijing Olympics. American Tyson Gay was second in a time of 9.71, with Jamaica's Asafa Powell claiming bronze in 9.84.

Britain's Dwain Chambers came sixth in a season's best time of 10.00.

Bolt, who set three world records when winning his Olympic golds in Beijing last summer, served up another superlative display to enhance his reputation as the best sprinter of all time.

In the final, he powered out of the blocks at the first time of asking and took control of the race within the first 30m, the crowd going wild as he streaked across the line. Bolt's time represents the biggest increase in the record since electronic timing was introduced in 1968.

"I was ready, I was feeling good after the semi-finals," Bolt told BBC Sport.
"I knew it was going to be a great race and I came out and executed it. It's a great time. I did well and I feel good in myself."

Former world record holder Powell paid tribute to his compatriot, saying: "When I saw the time I had to try and catch him, but I couldn't."

Gay, who went into the final as the reigning world champion, has been troubled by a nagging groin pain and had to cut practice on his start.

"I ran the best I could but it was not enough," he said. "I believe I put in a championship performance and I am very pleased with the national record.

"I'm happy he ran 9.5 because I knew he could do it. I'm happy for him."

Chambers, back competing at the top level after serving a two-year ban for taking the designer steroid THG in 2003, said the final was a "great experience".

"It is hard to explain what it is like to go out there and stand on the line to compete with the best in the world," said the 31-year-old. "It does not get easier as you get older but it is worth it."

Earlier, there was controversy as Britain's Tyrone Edgar was disqualified from the semi-finals. After Bolt made the opening false start, Edgar was ruled to have transgressed the second time, although initial reaction times seemed to suggest that decision was harsh.

"I don't think it was a false start," said the 27-year-old Edgar, who was also disqualified at the London Grand Prix last month.

"To me it looked pretty good but there is nothing I can do. I am not going to argue the point. I am disappointed right now because I reckon I would have made the final."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8204381.stm

Pamoja na watu kumdhania anachovya!!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bolt's record-setting runs caused commentators not only to praise his achievements but also to speculate about his potential to become one of the most successful sprinters ever. Critics hailed his Olympic success as a new beginning for a sport that had long suffered through high-profile drug scandals. The previous six years had seen the BALCO scandal, Tim Montgomery and Justin Gatlin stripped of their 100 m world records, and Marion Jones returning three Olympic gold medals. All three sprinters were disqualified from athletics after drugs tests detected banned substances in their systems.Bolt's record-breaking performances caused suspicion among some commentators, including Victor Conte, and the lack of an independent Caribbean anti-doping federation raised more concerns. The accusations of drug use were vehemently rejected by Glen Mills (Bolt's coach) and Herb Elliott (the Jamaican athletics team doctor). Elliott, a member of the IAAF anti-doping commission, urged those concerned about the issue to "come down and see our programme, come down and see our testing, we have nothing to hide". Mills had been equally ardent that Bolt was a clean athlete, declaring to the Jamaica Gleaner: "We will test any time, any day, any part of the body...[he] doesn't even like to take vitamins".Bolt stated that he had been tested four times prior to the Olympics, and all had tested negative for banned substances. He also welcomed anti-doping authorities to test him to prove that he was clean, stating, "We work hard and we perform well and we know we're clean".

1.jpg

Usain Bolt (R) of Jamaica crosses the finish line ahead of Tyson Gay (C) of the U.S. and Asafa Powell (L) of Jamaica to win the men's 100 meters final during the world athletics championships at the Olympic stadium in Berlin, August 16, 2009. Bolt set a world record of 9.58 seconds in the race

2.jpg

Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates winning the men's 100 meters final during the world athletics championships at the Olympic stadium in Berlin, August 16, 2009. Bolt set a world record of 9.58 seconds in the race.

7.jpg

Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates after winning in the men's 100 metres final during the world athletics championships at the Olympic stadium in Berlin, August 16, 2009

8.jpg

Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates after winning the men's 100 metres final during the world athletics championships at the Olympic stadium in Berlin August 16, 2009. Bolt won the race in a time of 9.58 seconds setting a new world record.

3.jpg

Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates after winning the men's 100 metres final during the world athletics championships at the Olympic stadium in Berlin August 16, 2009. Bolt won the race in a time of 9.58 seconds setting a new world record.

4.jpg

Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates winning the men's 100 meters final during the world athletics championships at the Olympic stadium in Berlin, August 16, 2009. Bolt set a world record of 9.58 seconds in the race

6.jpg

Usain Bolt of Jamaica (L) celebrates with compatriot Asafa Powell after winning the men's 100 metres final during the world athletics championships at the Olympic stadium in Berlin August 16, 2009. Bolt won the race in a time of 9.58 seconds setting a new world record.

Berlin 2009 - Powell: Bolt could beat long jump WR
b9975e8970f22cb6b3e23bee530424f5.jpg

Jamaican Usain Bolt, whose dazzling sprints have seen him demolish the 100 and 200 metres world records at the World Championships in Berlin could jump nine metres according to long jump world record holder Mike Powell.

Powell, whose world record of 8.95 metres has been standing since the 1991 world championships, said Bolt should try out long jump, a perfect fit for his speed and height.

"I can show him how to jump nine metres, for a small fee," he said with a grin.
"With his height (1.95m) he is the type who would scare me (as a long jumper) ... he is tall and fast. You cannot put into words how great an athlete he is."

Bolt is the only sprinter ever to hold the world and Olympic 100 and 200 titles as well as the world records over both distances simultaneously.

"We are dealing with a freak-of-nature athlete. He is off the charts," Powell said. "He goes to another level ... his pure athleticism is unbearable. He is destroying other athletes, making them look like kids."

Powell's own record is among the longest in athletics with the previous record stretching back to Bob Beamon at the 1968
Mexico City Olympics.

"Usain is at a level no one has been," said Powell, who said long jump needed an athlete who would captivate audiences.

"When I competed I considered myself as an entertainer," said the American, twice an Olympic silver medallist and twice a world champion, who had a well-publicised rivalry with Carl Lewis.

"(Bolt) knows that everyone in the stadium is coming to see him. He knows he is special."

Lewis is proof that sprinters make good jumpers, having won Olympic golds in the 100, 200 and 4x100 relays as well the long jump.

Bolt and Gay avoid Brussels clash

Double Olympic and world champion Usain Bolt will focus on the 200m at the final Golden League meeting of the season in Brussels on Friday.
American sprint rival Tyson Gay goes in the 100m against Bolt's fellow Jamaican Asafa Powell.

_46312658_bolt226_getty.jpg

Yelena Isinbayeva, Sanya Richards and Kenenisa Bekele are all competing for the $1m (£610,700) jackpot.

If more than one contender wins their event and stays perfect for the six meets, the prize will be shared.

Fans would have been hoping for a head-to-head between Bolt and Gay, who took gold and silver respectively at last month's World Championships in Berlin.

But Bolt, who has clinched seven 100m victories in finals this season, including a new world record time of 9.58 seconds in Berlin, says he now wants to concentrate on the 200m.

"I feel I've run enough 100m and too few 200m," said Bolt, who also set a new 200m mark of 19.19 at the World Championships.

And despite an unhelpful weather forecast, with wind and rain expected, Bolt feels Gay's meet record of 19.79 is there to be beaten.

"I'm physically better now, better than in Zurich [on 28 August]," Bolt added. "I've slept more and my body feels better.

"Mentally I'm feeling completely OK - I know it's a long season but it's my job to do these meetings and I like performing.

"I think 19.70 will be possible - the turns in Brussels are nice."

Gay decided against competing in the 200m because he felt running a curve would put too much pressure on his tender groin, which will be operated on at the end of the season.

Difficult winds seem to be the only thing standing between Isinbayeva and at least a share of the jackpot prize.

After her shock no-jump exit in Berlin, the Russian pole vaulter bounced back with a world record of 5.06m in Zurich.

Two years ago, Isinbayeva won half of the jackpot, sharing it with 400m runner Richards.

After earning her first major individual title in Berlin, Richards is poised to join Isinbayeva again, especially after she set the fastest time of the season at the Weltklasse last week.

It will be equally tough to bet against Bekele in the 5,000m after the Ethiopian dominated the whole season and added a long-distance double in Berlin.

Gelete Burka of Ethiopia is set to go for the record in the rarely run 2,000m and a quartet of Kenyan men are aiming for an even quirkier record in the 4x1500m relay.

Powell beats Gay in Brussels 100m

_46324344_007893865-1.jpg

Jamaica's Asafa Powell stormed to victory over American Tyson Gay to win the 100m at the final Golden League meeting of the season in Brussels.

Gay, the world 100m silver medallist, failed to capitalise on the absence of world record holder Usain Bolt, who cruised to victory in the 200m.

Powell ran 9.90 seconds, while Bolt ran 19.57, the fourth fastest 200m ever.
Sanya Richards, Kenenisa Bekele and Yelena Isinbayeva all won their events to share the $1m Golden League prize.

At last month's worlds in Berlin, Powell came home third behind Bolt and Gay but the former world record holder was too strong at the King Baudouin Stadium.

"I ran a good race - the start especially was good," said Powell.
"I even set off too quickly - I gave it a lot over the first 20-30m, then I kept it going. This new track is really fast. Unfortunately, the rain which fell just before the race affected us."

Gay said, who clocked 10.00, said: "I just got my butt kicked. I completely messed up my start - and that made it really difficult to get into my stride."

Triple Olympic and world champion Bolt chose to concentrate on the 200m and delighted the capacity crowd with another scintillating performance.

The fans always expect something extra from me and I was very surprised by the energy they gave me-
Usain Bolt

1566440411-04092009201212.jpg

He was already clear of the field at the bend, and eased off to post a phenomenal time in wet conditions. American Wallace Spearmon was second in 20.19.

"I am very tired, my body was telling me to slow down. I was fatigued in the last 20-30m," said Bolt.

"But the crowd gave me that extra push - the fans always expect something extra from me and I was very surprised by the energy they gave me.
"I enjoy to do the show, always, and I knew that as it is a new track it would be fast."

Bolt's time was the fourth fastest ever, decimating the meeting record of 19.79, set by Gay three years ago.

Only Michael Johnson, whose world record of 19.32 Bolt broke by two-hundredths-of-a-second at last year's Beijing Olympic and then lowered to 19.19 in the recent World Championships, has run faster.

Richards, Bekele and Isinbayeva claimed a share of the £610,700 pot by winning their events at all six of the Golden League meetings this season.
American Richards won the women's 400m in 48.83 with Britain's Olympic champion Christine Ohuruogu was second in 50.43.

Two years ago, the Russian won half of the jackpot, sharing it with Richards.
Ethiopia's Bekele, who claimed an unprecedented long-distance double with golds in the 5,000 and 10,000m in Berlin, rounded off a spectacular season with victory in the 5,000m.

Carmelita Jeter of the USA sprung a surprise in the women's 100m, beating world champion Shelly-Ann Fraser in a time of 10.88.

A team from Kenya broke the world record in the rarely run 4 x 1,500m relay with a time of 14 minutes 36 seconds. The time was almost two seconds better than the previous best set by a West German team in 1977.

An England quartet of Andy Baddeley, Ricky Stevenson, Nick McCormick and Mark Draper smashed the 30-year-old UK 4x1,500m relay record in finishing fifth in 14:54.57 to erase the previous mark by two seconds.

Britain's Michael Bingham finished third in the 400m behind American Jeremy Wariner, who won in 44.94.

Bingham finished in 45.70, three-hundredths-of-a-second ahead of Ireland's David Gillick, with Martin Rooney clocking 45.83 in fourth.
Simeon Williamson had to settle for eighth in the 100m, while Kate Dennison finished sixth in the pole vault.

The meeting in Brussels marked the end of 12 seasons of the Golden League. Next year, world governing body IAAF will launch the Diamond League, a 14-city tour also including events in Asia and the United States.

100m in 6.13 seconds: Faster than Usain Bolt, Sarah the cheetah, the world's quickest cat

article-0-065D46E5000005DC-114_634x399.jpg

She would show even the mighty Usain Bolt two clean pairs of heels.
Sarah the cheetah has broken the land speed record for mammals by running 100 metres in 6.13 seconds.
This is three seconds faster than Bolt's human record-breaking run in Berlin last month.

Sarah's time was even more impressive because she is eight - positively middle-aged for a big cat like her.
'I think it's fair to say that this is the all-time great day in cheetah racing,' said Thane Maynard, director of the Cincinnati Zoo where Sarah lives.
'It's fun to see her race so fast.'

article-1212476-065FCB8D000005DC-162_634x230.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ecords-fastest-mammal-land.html#ixzz0Qmm1bhS0