Airtel Launches Faster Internet Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

JF-Expert Member
Apr 10, 2008
AIRTEL Tanzania yesterday launched 3.75G mobile platform, which promises to change how subscribers experience the web on internet-enabled cell phones.

"The 3.75G technology will give our customers the opportunity to interact with cellular technology in a different way," said Airtel Tanzania Managing Director, Mr Sam Elangalloor in Dar es Salaam at a press conference.

He added: "This is why Airtel doesn't see 3.75G as a product, but rather as a platform that enables our subscribers to experience data better." He said the improved technology will enhance multimedia functionality, high speed mobile broadband and internet access, allowing users to make video calls, watch live TV, send and receive emails and download music from the handheld devices.

Telecommunications is one of the continent's fastest growing industries with a rapidly expanding cellular phone market that now includes internet access, mobile banking and mobile commerce. Statistics by McKinsey & Co, a global research company, show that there are currently about 400 million mobile subscribers in Africa.

With this in mind, he said Airtel has remained committed to deepening its network coverage, bringing communication opportunities o rural populations that, until now, have been left out of the telecommunications revolution in Africa.

Mr Elangalloor said the expansion plan will work in tandem with the availability of 3.75G to ensure that Airtel can provide Tanzania with a level of internet access that can help bridge the digital divide.

He said although it is widely accepted and recognized that giving people access to basic telecommunications is critical for development, such move is still lacking by many on the continent. "Thus, communication should be a basic right, not a privilege because connecting the unconnected population - through telecommunications - will enhance social, cultural and commercial participation," he said, adding:

"The 3.75G platform will allow subscribers to combine the enormous potential of the internet with the convenience of cellular phones," said Mr Elangalloor. Depending on the device type of the user, once connected to the 3.75G network, the device will display 3.75G, HSDPA,WCDMA or HSPA, he said.

He said Airtel will be rolling out its data network across all its markets with the objective of building the largest 3.75G network across the continent and will continue to provide convenient and innovative services to all.

Source: Daily News - March 14, 2012

FAQ

- Q. What is airtel Broadband?

A. airtel's broadband offers a high-speed connection to the internet that enables you to transfer data to your cellphone or PC using various networks including 2.5G (GPRS), 3G (UMTS) and 3.5G and HSPA+. With great coverage and fast download and upload speeds, airtel's broadband offering is perfect to check email everywhere you are; in the car or on the bus, catch up on Facebook updates from the restaurant or while at a party – or grab News headlines on your way to work. Why not enjoy watching entertaining YouTube clip on your lunch break?

- Q. Why choose airtel Broadband?

A. Enjoy airtel Broadband……..whether you use the internet to send emails, download movies, do research or find information, access Facebook or Twitter and other sites using Data Bundles from an in bundle rate as little as Tsh 9.7 per MB or you are on Pay per use

- Q. How do I Activate airtel Broadband?

A. 1. How to connect your phone to airtel Broadband.

• Insert your airtel SIM Card in the phone or internet card and wait for settings to be sent automatically as a text message or send the text with the keyword "ALL" to 232 or call Customer Care on 100 to receive your settings.
  • Accept, install or save the settings that will be sent to your phone.
  • To browse the internet, go to the internet / WEB icon on your phone. Enjoy airtel internet.

2. How to connect your computer to airtel Broadband.

• You can connect your computer to the airtel Broadband service using a data enabled phone over a USB cable connection. You may also use a data internet modem or a Data enabled Wireless home box. For more information, contact your authorized airtel outlet or write to our customer service at helpdesk@tz.airtel.com

- Q. How do I buy airtel Data Bundles?

A. A data bundle may be activated in the following ways;

1. Send and SMS with the following format to 15444;
1. Month to 15444
Where Month is the data bundle you wish to activate.

2. 1GB to 15444
Where 1GB is the data bundle you wish to activate.

3. USSD
Dial *154*44# and follow the prompts.

- Q. How do I check/track usage of Data Bundles?

A.
1. To check or activate your bundle usage, send the following SMS;
BALANCE
and send to 15444.

2. By USSD
Dial *154*44# and follow the prompts.

3. For post paid customer call 101 and pre-paid call 100

- Q. How do I set up my internet Modem?

A.
To get started on the modem, please follow the steps below:

1. First insert the modem into the USB port of your laptop or desktop
  2. A window will automatically open on your computer's screen asking you to install the software necessary to run the broadband modem. Click on OK.
  3. Activate a data bundle and you are ready to go!

- Q. What shall I do if I cannot access internet?

A.
Please check the configuration as follows:

• Make sure that Modem is in the service area and the network signal is normal.
  • Check your balance
  • Make sure you have subscribed to the wireless access service. For details, helpdesk@tz.airtel.com
  • If you have subscribed to the wireless access service, configure the network settings.

- Q. What speeds do I expect on airtel Broadband?

A.
The data speed at which you connect to the internet is dependent on the capabilities of the access device or cellphone you connect with, as well as the data coverage in the area where you're connecting from.

- Q. How much does a USB Modem costs?

A.
The cost of a USB Modem Tsh 30,000/= and you will get FREE internet for 6 months!

- Q. Do I need to have my data SIM card configured for data?

A.
No, all MSISDN are pre-activated on 3G and no further configuration/ activations are required.

- Q. Will 3G service be available while roaming?

A.
We have multiple agreements that allow our customer to use visited network and enjoy 3G roaming.

- Q. I have a 3G Handset and get into a zone which is 2.5G enabled. What will happen to my voice call / video call/ internet surfing / downloading of a music/video file?

A.

• Voice Call: There will be no drop between a 2.5G to 3G transition or between 3G to 2.5G transitions of network. The handover would be seamless.
  • Video Call: The video call if already initiated in a 3G network would drop on moving to 2.5G site since 2.5G does not support video calls.
  • Internet browsing: On transitioning to a 2.5G network the speed will reduce but the session will not get disturbed in any manner.
  • Downloading of Music & Video file: On transitioning to a 2.5G network the speed of the download will reduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom