Africa leaders scrap Mali visit

Askari Kanzu

JF-Expert Member
Jan 7, 2011
Africa leaders scrap Mali visit mid-flight on violence fears

By David Lewis and Ange Aboa | Reuters
BAMAKO/ABIDJAN (Reuters) - West African presidents scheduled to meet Mali's junta leaders on Thursday were forced to turn around mid-flight after reports of pro-junta protests at the airport and in the capital, sources said.

An official at Ivory Coast's presidency confirmed the airplane carrying President Alassane Ouattara, one of a delegation of six heads of state from regional bloc ECOWAS meant to arrive in Mali, had returned to the capital Abidjan.

Two diplomatic sources said the other heads of state had also scrapped the planned meeting, designed to pressure the leaders of last week's coup that toppled President Amadou Toumani Toure to swiftly restore constitutional order.

"Everyone is heading home," one of the diplomats said, asking not to be named. There was no word on whether the visit would be rescheduled.

A Reuters reporter at Mali's Bamako airport said most of the red carpets laid out for the arrival of the visiting delegation had been rolled up, though security remained tight and an honor guard was deployed.

Reuters

I have been to Mali. Not only Bamako, but I have been up to Kidal. I am also familiar with Mali politics. I know that the majority of the population, which by the way does not live in Bamako will suffer a lot. Where Ibrahim Bahanga and Hassan Fagaga have failed to topple a democratic government and so will a Mere Capt will fail. After all Toumani Toure has jast 2 months to finish his term. After which, if mr Hot shot capt. does not give away then he will have to confront the seasoned ECOWAS troops and tight sanctions.

By and by its those who have been paid a few dollars to protest at the airport and the general population will suffer. I hope the Algerians will rejoice. Since they are the ones used by French and American influences to couse discord in Mali.

I hail Mamadou Toumani Toure as a president who have tried to bring Mali to Calm for so long.

Hawa viongozi na mabit yao nadhani wanaogopa zamu yao isije ikaja ya kupinduliwa!

Back
Top Bottom