A prospect on the education system in Tanzania

zakhiabadru

Sep 12, 2021
Education is one among the warrants worth to have,This is a statement that can not be refuted.If the Late Mwalimu J.K.Nyerere(1922-1999) and other African leaders didn’t attain education, It will not stagger me if we could still be under colonial rule.Believe it or not, the musicians who turn out to have great talents but didn’t get a window in education, some of them ended up signing unjust music contracts,Harmonize and Wasafi Music Label can be used as a case.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Education is the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university.Having education is important, but having quality education is most important.John Legend, an American singer once said “The best way to fight poverty is to empower people through access of quality education”,and in my country Tanzania, such statements are not taken into reflection.

Tanzania education system operates in a 7-4-2-3 system meaning 7years in Primary school,4 years in Secondary school(Ordinary Level education),2 years in Advanced Level school and 3 to 4 years in Colleges or University .The challenge arrives that in public schools,Primary education has to be taught in Kiswahili expect English subject but from Secondary school all subjects are taught in English expect Kiswahili subject.According to an article written in the year 2018 by TESSA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, Children learn languages faster than adults due to environmental reasons and the critical period of learning.With that, it is difficult for students to swap languages in Secondary school due to the demand of the syllabus that must be completed at a certain period of time to which the critical period factor has already failed also children learn and understand better a language that is from their environment, you can’t teach children about the four seasons of the year that are not even applicable in their country.

The education system in Tanzania is theoretically structured which confirms another challenge,When i was young,I always wrote compositions of being a doctor and that was my goal, going to Secondary School my goal had to undergo a change and clear-cut to pursue Arts subjects for i didn’t get what were the calculations in Physics used for and the whole concept of Chemistry of mixing Zinc and Oxide to get Zinc Oxide.I remember asking my teacher “ why do we mix this chemicals”,ili iweje?and he just said “we shika hivyo hivyo ufaulu mtihani” such things are making it difficult for one to get employed, as jobs want practically trained individuals.Even the so called suggestions to solve the education system challenges in Tanzania are just written and abandoned in text books and websites and for years they don’t alter to tie with the current situation or even taken into actions.

Without forgetting, poor learning environment. Environmental factors are significant to the welfare of both teachers and students.Poor furniture, ventilation and lighting have a negative impact on student achievement and health.If there is dearth of all this, it makes it gruelling for teachers and students to engage together.An article, by the Tanzania Daily News in the year 2012 confirm that, poor learning environment ushered the poor result performance of form four national examinations results in ward schools,Tanga Region, where students had to share text books, worse enough absence of libraries and laboratories, and the transport factor of walking long distances for both teachers and students making it difficult for them to go to school and perform their obligations.

“Watoto ni taifa la kesho”,is a statement that can be taken lightly but yet has a huge impact on our children and generations to come.If we don’t solve the challenges facing the education sector now then it will be difficult for our country to develop and even not be recognised as a poor country.Education is the most important investment any human being can have.And that words without action, prove nothing and this applies to the suggestions to solve the challenges facing the education system in Tanzania that haven’t changed for generations or even taken into actions.

Back
Top Bottom