Is 100kg of stones heavier than 100kg of cotton? Why? How?

density is mass over volume ............so the answer is not yes, but will depend on the volume of stone and cottons per that 100 kg mass.

if they have the same volume (cotton being tightly packed to get the same volume as 100kg of stone) and the same mass then it means they have the same density.

This is interesting!

I aasumed we were talking about cotton and stone as materials (matters). I also thought that density is a physical property of matter, as each element and compound has a unique density associated with it!

If we start talking about shapes of objects (as opposed to materials) we may end up saying that 'water' (with a known density of 1g per cubic cm) is denser than 'iron' (with a known density of 7.87g per cubic cm) just because a ship made of iron floats on water!

By the way, density is not "mass over volume" but rather "mass per unit volume".

This is interesting!

I aasumed we were talking about cotton and stone as materials (matters). I also thought that density is a physical property of matter, as each element and compound has a unique density associated with it!

If we start talking about shapes of objects (as opposed to materials) we may end up saying that 'water' (with a known density of 1g per cubic cm) is denser than 'iron' (with a known density of 7.87g per cubic cm) just because a ship made of iron floats on water!

By the way, density is not "mass over volume" but rather "mass per unit volume".

And why shouldnt we talk of the shape of materials? ( I didnt see anywhere in the question which stopped me doing that)

and once we talk of shapes, we wont end up saying water is danser than iron but we will say since the mass of iron in a ship is concentrated in a larger volume, then water is denser than a ship. (we will relate mass and volume per the proper and correct definition of density as you have been kind enough to share)............:)

... then water is denser than a ship.

Spot on! This is what I am talking about. You no longer say iron (material) but a ship (an object)! The question was on 'stone' and 'cotton' and not objects made from these materials!

By the way, density is not "mass over volume" but rather "mass per unit volume"
Both definition given above might be correct. It depends with what are you referring and why!

However, density is the quantity of something per unit measure, especially per unit length, area, or volume. So, density can be measured in terms of volumes, length and area as well.

I find your statement not 'health' because, a ship floats on water because it displace the amount (volume) of water which is equal to the volume of the ship!!!! If the ship displaces the volume of water equal to its volume; won't it float?
May be Archimedes' principle is no longer valid!

Spot on! This is what I am talking about. You no longer say iron (material) but a ship (an object)! The question was on 'stone' and 'cotton' and not objects made from these materials!

i didnt relate any common cotton to any common stone either since the question was specifically related to the mass (100kg) of both. (i was very specific on the tightly packed cotton to have same volume as stone)

So just to broaden the topic (as it was broaden in the subject of pounds), i showed how material's density is related to mass and volume and how this can affect the density of the object (as you called it) made from that material.

Sioni tofauti ya uzito. Kilo mia ya mawe na kilo mia ya pamba havina tofauti kwenye uzito.
Lakini ukisema gunia la pamba na gunia la mawe lazima utajua gunia la mawe ni balaa zaidi ya pamba.

Both definition given above might be correct. It depends with what are you referring and why!

In layman terms, yes I can agree. But scientifically the statement 'mass over volume' is void especially if you are defining density!

Sioni tofauti ya uzito. Kilo mia ya mawe na kilo mia ya pamba havina tofauti kwenye uzito.
Lakini ukisema gunia la pamba na gunia la mawe lazima utajua gunia la mawe ni balaa zaidi ya pamba.
Je, tukijaza mawe katika gunia lenye ujazo 'x cc' na 100 kg; pia tujaze pamba katika gunia lenye ujazo huo huo 'x cc' na pamba zikakandamizwa kufikia 100 kg ndani ya ujazo huo huo; kipi kati ya mawe na pamba kipi kitakuwa ni kizito na kwanini?

In layman terms, yes I can agree. But scientifically the statement 'mass over volume' is void especially if you are defining density!
May be you should tell me what does it mean by saying ' a unit volume'
Kwahiyo unamaanisha kwamba if I have a 100 kg bag of stone with a volume of 200 cc, will its density be given by mass per volume i.e 100kg/200cc? or will it given by mass per unit volume which is "what"????

Kuepusha masuala ya aina hii
Je, tukijaza mawe katika gunia lenye ujazo 'x cc' na 100 kg; pia tujaze pamba katika gunia lenye ujazo huo huo 'x cc' na pamba zikakandamizwa kufikia 100 kg ndani ya ujazo huo huo; kipi kati ya mawe na pamba kipi kitakuwa ni kizito na kwanini?
ndio tukaingia kwenye maelezo ya same volume same mass equals same density ..............:)

....i was very specific on the tightly packed cotton to have same volume as stone
When you say 'tightly packed cotton' what exactly do you mean? Cotton as material has a density as one of its physical property (I dont see how you can change this by 'packing it tightly'!).

Science inataka experimentation/ practical, hivyo basi chukua 5kg za mawe (bila kujali aina ya mwamba) na 5kg za pamba halafu pima kwenye mizani kwa kutumia kg kama unit of measurement, then utapata jibu! Sasa nyie mnabishana bila majaribio? Pia ilibidi mkubaliane kama mnaangalia 'mass' au 'weight'!

Kwahiyo unamaanisha kwamba if I have a 100 kg bag of stone with a volume of 200 cc, will its density be given by mass per volume i.e 100kg/200cc? or will it given by mass per unit volume which is "what"????

My friend the density of stone does not depend on the type of container. The density of water in a glass in the same as the desinty of water in a cup! .....100kg/200cc ....Is this the 'over' you were talking about...lol! What if I say 100kg divided by 200cc?..is your 'over' still there?

When you say 'tightly packed cotton' what exactly do you mean? Cotton as material has a density as one of its physical property (I dont see how you can change this by 'packing it tightly'!).
Mkuu nadhani haujui unachokiongelea? Cant cottons be compressed to fit in a given container?

My friend the density of stone does not depend on the type of container. The density of water in a glass in the same as the desinty of water in a cup! Is this the 'over' 100kg/200cc you are talking about...lol! What if I say 100kg divided by 200cc?..is you 'over' still there?
hapa ndiyo umenichanganya zaidi! Sorry...naomba maelezo zaidi naona fizikia yangu sasa ya mwenge mchkichini imeishia hapa!

hapa ndiyo umenichanganya zaidi! Sorry...naomba maelezo zaidi naona fizikia yangu sasa ya mwenge mchkichini imeishia hapa!
Wapi? Statement ya kwanza, ya pili au zote?

Wapi? Statement ya kwanza, ya pili au zote?
Labda naomba tuanzie na huu msemo "unit volume". mfano tuna mawe yenye uzito wa 100 kg, na ujazo wa 200 cc ndani ya gunia lenye urefu wa mita 1. Je 'unit volume' hapa ni ipi?