English learning thread

I was preparing a breakfast,
I have been preparing breakfast.

Note that : Past continuous test is formed by "was" or "were" + ing, to describe an event which was going on while another took place. eg:1. I was crying while he was shouting. 2.She was cooking
3.They were praying

Mkuu pitia google basi unipe link ya grammer au u-copy&paste nijifunze verb na tenses?.

ulitaka kusema nini? I try =I am trying -ninajaribu, I have try= I have tried= -ninajaribu
tofauti hapo ni NINA.... NA NIME...

I saw different things. The sentence which ended by ed meant is a past tense, why to say I have tried seem as a present?

If you want to learn a foreign language, you need to know the basics of that language first.

English has Germanic and Latin roots, Swahili (yes, not KIswahili, there is no KI prefix in English) has Bantu roots.

Don't expect perfect translations or literal translations to make sense.

We can't force foreigners to spell our language "Kiswahili" just like they can't force us to call their languages English, Norsk or Svensk.

Germans call our country Tansania not Tanzania.

Germanic and Latin roots mean that there are many words in English which mean the same thing. (Huge- big- large). This makes it confusing for a learner but that makes English much richer in vocabulary than Swahili.

Lastly, a language is not static. It changes constantly.
Words are pronounced differently from region to region, sometimes in a same country.

Americans in New York pronounce some words differently than Americans in North Carolina or Texas.

A learner of English will be forgiven if he travels to Scotland and thinks he is hearing Greek not English.

New words pop up, especially technical words. "Selfie" was not a common word in 1980, it is now.
Do we have a Swahili translation for it? Yes.
"Kujipiga picha na simu ya mkono" does not sound as sexy as "taking a selfie" though.

There is also American and British English. ( flat = apartment, colour = color, flavour- flavor, lift- elevator)

I hope this information is useful for a learner out there.

I think my sanction is to lose remembrance during the writing process but it easier to remember some words which.I know since earily last, so this problem make me difficult to form a sentence faster because I use a lot a time(minutes) to remember what some proper word for complete a sentence.

..mi napata tabu kuelewa sentensi yenye maneno haya yakiwa yameunganishwa, .....have have....,au had had,...au .....had have..

I think my sanction is to lose remembrance during the writing process but it easier to remember some words which.I know since earily last, so this problem make me difficult to form a sentence faster because I use a lot a time(minutes) to remember what some proper word for complete a sentence.

The best way to build your vocabulary (words) is to read and listen to the radio or TV.

Buy English newspapers and listen to the BBC or VOA.

..mi napata tabu kuelewa sentensi yenye maneno haya yakiwa yameunganishwa, .....have have....,au had had,...au .....had have..

Master the basics like present and past perfect formations first and then you should be able to understand the sentences better.

1. John had a red bike for two years.
Hapa, John alikuwa na baiskeli kwa muda wa miaka miwili. Hana tena.

2. John has had a red bike for two years.
Hapa, John alipata baiskeli na anaendelea kuwa nayo kwa miaka miwili sasa.

I hope these examples will help you:

Here are some points to remember when using 'have' and 'has'.

They can both be used to show possession and are important in making the 'perfect tenses'.

'Had' is the past tense of both 'has' and 'have'.

HAVE
Have is used with some pronouns and plural nouns:

'I have a great English teacher.'
'You have toothpaste on your chin.'
'We have a meeting at 12.'
'Nurses have a difficult job.'

HAS
Has is used with the third person singular. For example:

'She has a great personality.'
'He has a new haircut.'
'The washing machine has a leak in it'.
'It has a hole near the door.'

HAVE and HAS in questions:

'Have you been to Australia?'
'Has Andrew left yet?'
'Who has my pen?'
'Has anyone seen my mobile phone?'

HAVE GOT and HAVE
Both 'have got' and 'have' mean the same thing. There is no difference.

'I have got an i-phone.' = 'I have an i-phone'.
'You have got a message.' = You have a message.'
'She has got no time to sleep.' ='She has no time to sleep.'

HAVE and HAS verb tenses:
'have/has'' is an important verb in making the 'perfect tense':

PRESENT PERFECT
'She has lived here for a long time.'
'We have seen this TV show before.'
'I have cut my finger.'

PAST PERFECT
'I had already decided not to go before he asked me.'

'They had finished the race before it started raining.'

'She had already left when he arrived'

modal verbs: HAVE TO
'have to' is used to mean that something is necessary. It is used in the following way in affirmative sentences:

subject + modal (have to / has to) + verb

'I have to wash my car today.'
'He has to write a report.'
'I had to go to the bank yesterday.'

HAVE TO in negative sentences:

In negatives to show that something is not necessary we follow this rule:
subject + doesn't have to + verb

'We don't have to work tomorrow.'
'She doesn't have to wear a uniform to school'
'I didn't have to make my bed when I was young'

Source:ecenglish.com

My brother I know which is present and which is past or which continuous but still there are some complicated form of sentence because some sentences are intended to present time but are use past symbols(words) such as ...ed.

I understand, you will get there.

Keep on practicing and please read books and papers/magazines. If you are close to a library, please join it and get some interesting books to read. My suggestion is to go to kids section of the library where their books begin by using simple English words and funny stories. I wouldn't advise you to go around with a dictionary.

Do this: Take a book, read it, if a sentence has word or words you don't know just read the whole sentence and try to get the meaning of the sentence instead of the meaning of each word. If you do this long enough you will start to realize that some words that you don't understand appear more often. At that point it will be OK to look it up in a dictionary.

However, this does not mean you are on your own now. If you have any questions please come back here or at the other English-learning thread and you will get help. Sometimes the help may be delayed because people "wako mzigoni".

Usikate tamaa tutakuja. Hatutakuchoka.

Kila la kheri.

Mkuu pitia google basi unipe link ya grammer au u-copy&paste nijifunze verb na tenses?.

ktk lugha ya kingereza kuna nyakati (tenses) kuu 3,ambazo ni :
1>PRESENT TENSE.
2>PAST TENSE.
3>FUTURE TENSE.
Kila tense mmoja imegawanyika mara nne.

PRESENT TENSE
1)simple present tense.
2)present continous tense.
3)present perfect tense.
4)present perfect continous tense.
PAST TENSE
1)simple past tense.
2)past continous tense.
3)past perfect tense.
4)past perfect contious tense.
FUTURE TENSE
1)simple future tense.
2)future continous tense.
3)future perfect tense.
4)future perfect continous tense.
Punde nitaleta maana fomula ya jinsi ya kutumia nyakati hizo.

kwa kiingereza unaandikaje?(negative) hakuja, hakwenda, sikwenda, hakusoma
pia kuuliza: alikwenda? anakwenda?

Hakuja:

1. He/She didn't come.

Hakwenda

1. He/She didn't go.

Sikwenda

1. I didn't go.

Hakusoma

1. He/She didn't study.

It is possible to say " He was not educated" to mean "Hakusoma", depending on your intention.

Je, Alikwenda?

1. Did he/she go?

Je, Anakwenda?

1. Is he/she going?

Hatakwenda.

1. He/she will not be going.

Je, atakwenda?

1. Will he/she be going?

Hakuja:

1. He/She didn't come.

Hakwenda

1. He/She didn't go.

Sikwenda

1. I didn't go.

Hakusoma

1. He/She didn't study.

It is possible to say " He was not educated" to mean "Hakusoma", depending on your intention.

Je, Alikwenda?

1. Did he/she go?

Je, Anakwenda?

1. Is he/she going?

Hatakwenda.

1. He/she will not be going.

Je, atakwenda?

1. Will he/she be going?

Thanks a lot for your Kindness.

Back
Top Bottom