Zambian miners kill Chinese manager during pay protest

bemg

JF-Expert Member
Apr 25, 2010
[h=1]Zambian miners kill Chinese manager during pay protest[/h]
_62047702_zambia464.jpg
Miners' pay at Chinese-run mines was lower than at other foreign-owned mines, a 2011 report said
Continue reading the main story
[h=2]Related Stories[/h]

Zambian miners have killed a Chinese manager by pushing a mine trolley at him during a riot at a coal mine in the south of the country.
A second Chinese was injured, as were several Zambians, during the riot on Saturday.
The workers were on strike at the mine in protest against delays in implementing a new minimum wage.
They were angry their wages were lower than a new minimum of $320 (£205) a month paid to shop workers.
Zambia's minister of labour has gone to the Chinese-owned Collum coal mine in Sinazongwe, 325km (200 miles) south of the capital, Lusaka.
"Wu Shengzai, aged 50, has been killed by protesting workers after being hit by a trolley which was pushed towards him by the rioting miners as he ran away into the underground where he wanted to seek refugee," Southern province police commissioner Fred Mutondo told state news agency, the Zambia News and Information Services.
"He died on the spot while his colleague is in hospital."
Chinese firms own several mines in southern African countries, including coal and copper operations.
Copper mining is one of Zambia's main industries, providing nearly three-quarters of the country's exports; many of the mining companies are foreign-owned.
A 2011 report by Human Rights Watch (HRW) said that, despite improvements in recent years, safety and labour conditions at Chinese mines were worse than at other foreign-owned mines.

chinapix.jpg

Zambians attending a China-Zambia function in Mazabuka, in the southern part of the country. Workers at a Collum Coal mine in the region killed a Chinese miner in a protest over salary hikes. FILE|AFRICA REVIEW |

By MICHAEL CHAWE in LusakaPosted Sunday, August 5 2012 at 16:44

Zambian workers on Saturday killed a Chinese miner at the Collum Coal mine located south of country in a protest over salary hikes while another one is battling for his life in hospital, a government official said Sunday.

Labour minister Fackson Shamenda said miners rioted on Saturday to protest against delays by management to implement the newly revised minimum wage.

The Chinese owned Collum Coal mine is situated 325km in Maamba town south of the capital Lusaka.

In July the southern African nation new government of President Michael Sata raised minimum wages to $110 for maids and household servants and to $220 for shop workers without unions.

Mr Wu Shengzai aged, 50, died on the spot after being hit by a trolley that was pushed towards him by the rioting miners as he ran away into the underground tunnel where he wanted to seek refuge.

‘We are going to sanction a full investigation into the matter…the death of our Chinese brother is unfortunate and regrettable," Mr Shamenda told Africa Review in Lusaka.

Mr Shamenda has wondered why the same mine continues to be a place of tension between Zambian workers and Chinese investors.

The government said the workers involved would face prosecution.

Two years ago, Zambian police charged two Chinese officials at the same mine with attempted murder following the shooting of 13 miners in a pay dispute.

By Sunday afternoon state broadcaster Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation reported that calm had returned at the mine and the other injured miner was recuperating in the hospital located within the district where Collum Coal mine is.

Chinese companies have invested more than $1 billion in copper mines in Zambia but their local workers accuse firms of slave labour conditions.

That's the problem with the CHINESE; they work your like a SLAVE and no PAY...

That's why they prefer to bring their own LABOR from CHINA and exploit them... but ZAMBIA new PRESIDENT refused

he told the CHINESE to create JOBS for ZAMBIANS if not they can PACK and GO; HE HAS SIGNED a new DEAL with

A WESTERN COMPANY; THE CHINESE wanted that Mine for a While... he overlooked them...

We should do the same... this people are blood-suckers...

Zambians are extroverts which in a way is good. Tanzanians are somehow introverts also, in a way is good, as it gives one time to reflect and make wiser decisions. However, Tanzanians succumb to gross mistreatment as it is happening with many foreign owned companies including mining. Just talk to some people who have worked as insiders even with renowned companies on corporate responsibility like Barrick and get to hear the humiliating episodes. How much more with Chinese whose human rights issues is non priority in the sense we perceive? Even the CCM government is taking advantage of our good nature and that is why we are where we are. Hopefully this vicious cycle will end sometime soon.

Wawekezaji wanadharau sana,wakati mwingine wanastahili adhabu kama hizo

Zambians are extroverts which in a way is good. Tanzanians are somehow introverts also, in a way is good, as it gives one time to reflect and make wiser decisions.

Introverts, but those native officials who enter into contracts who enter into such contracts. Corupt men mean and subtle who dont care to adress those gross human rights and non of these blames are advanced towards them officials. That symbiotic relationship between the citizens and corrupt officials is impressive.

Back
Top Bottom