We Need for Mentors: Here is Why?

jerrytz

JF-Expert Member
Oct 10, 2012
-"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton-

The words of Sir Isaac Newton on the value of mentors is undeniable, because mentors indeed do provide vital tools and intangible resources not readily available or accessible due to their experience, access and vintage point.

It doesn't matter which path you are on at the moment, you will discover that you can not 'do', or 'go' or 'be' all you can be all by yourself. Invariably, no one is an island and our interconnectedness is more obvious now than before such that no one can exist or succeed in a vacuum. Each one of us will require other people's help, support, insight, feedback and resources at one point on our journey. Yet, I find the essence of mentorship goes deep, according to Proverbs 11:14, "in the multitude of counselors (mentoring) there is safety".

Quite simply, our success will require the input of others.
-

Mentors Must Have These Attributes

Great-mentors provide intangible resources and vital tools not readily available or accessible due to their experience, access and vintage point. In my humble opinion, great mentors are the proverbial 'wind' beneath one's wings.

They literally make one fly!

I have been fortunate to have been surrounded by parents who were counsellors and to have observed the effect of -their mentoring on the community. Here are some undeniable attributes of great mentors:

Great mentors will-always be interested and invested in your success.
Great mentors will always have your best interest at heart.
Great mentors will focus on helping you be the best you can be.
Great mentors will-not compete with you but rather complement you because your success isn't a threat to theirs.

Here are 7 reasons why you need a mentor:

1. Mentors help you transition and adapt to changes. -The economy of the new workforce will not operate solely on hard work but rather on smart work. You need to get smarter. Mentors will help you get smarter.

2. Mentors allow you to see beyond where you are. They provide ideas, thoughts and insights that challenge-and enable you to see beyond your sphere of influence.-Mentors will amplify your vision.--

3. Mentors push you to go farther. They refuse to let you settle on your oars and invariably challenge you to go farther than you can possibly imagine. Mentors will extend you further.

4. Mentors nurture you by protecting you from premature exposure such as making critical political or organizational mistakes or career or business miscues that can derail your success. Mentors by their sound counsel guide-proteges from ending up in-pits.

5.-Mentors strengthen you by empowering you. Mentors use their stories and perspectives to paint pictures of what is possible.-They use words and their actions to support you. Invariably, building you up for more than you ever thought possible.-

6. Mentors elevate you by making their shoulders your platform. They prop you up and this demonstration of trust must not be abused as their extensions is a critical validation that will eventually open doors and grant you access to opportunities beyond your circle.-

7. Lastly, mentors never give up on you. They-never quit believing, encouraging and engaging their protege. Great mentors assume the vision of their proteges until it is a reality.
-

Best,
Jerrytz

Mtalisi, i know one of the biggest challenge of the young generation is focusing on trivial issues and leaving the crucial issues behind.
We dont like to read and nurturing our mental abilities but we like entertainment and life's amusement.

You wrote the best article but seems people don't care as they pretend to know everything.

jerrytz i must be honest, am so impressed with what you wrote!! BTW How can i be a good mentor??? Mentors are born or made??

Last edited by a moderator:
Upepo wa Pesa, according to David Parnell, a legal consultant, communication coach and author, when it comes to mentorship, it is an unwritten rule that "one should give back at least what they've received."

So, if you've ever had a mentor, you might want to think about paying it forward.That answers the second question, Mentors are MADE

Want to become a great mentor? Here are 9 things you'll need to do:

Always play both roles.
Ideally, one would never have to make the transition from mentee to mentor, Ryckman says. "We should all be learning from others (playing the mentee role) and teaching others (being the mentor) throughout our careers."

Be committed.
Being a mentor is a commitment, Kahn says. "If you're offering to help someone you need to follow through with that promise by being there for them when needed."
Know that your mentee can be anyone, anywhere. "Mentoring needn't follow the traditional ‘elder-upstart' prescription anymore. It can be peer-to-peer across functions or industries," Rychman says. "It's about supplementing skill gaps and helping each person learn and grow."

As a mentor, you're someone who knows something your mentee doesn't, and you care enough to help them learn and succeed.

Listen.
One of your jobs a mentor is to provide advice and encouragement, but in order to do so, you need to make the time to listen and understand the situation, Kahn says.

"Intently listening to a mentee as they vent and, ideally, sort their way through confusion, is often more than enough to get them through the day," Parnell says. "If you ask any therapist about the power of listening, they will tell you the same thing: It is massive. Any mentor that is worth their weight spends considerably more time listening than they do speaking."

Have your own mentor(s) and network.
Today, the most successful people build relationships and gather intelligence from a wide variety of experts in all industries and age brackets, Rychman says. "People who are insular-who always return to the same small circle for advice and support-become closed off from opportunities." In order to be the very best mentor, you need to continue building your network and taking advice from those you trust.

Be open-minded and compassionate.
"If you've ever argued with someone, you know that they will never see your side until they're convinced that you've seen theirs," Parnell says. "And to provide valuable guidance and advice that is well received, it is necessary to first understand the mentee's needs, wants, feelings, et cetera. This can only come in the form of deep and implicit empathy."

Have patience.
Much like parenting, mentoring can be a satisfying, but also long-term and trying, endeavor, Parnell says. "While the mentee needs and wants direction, often times this requires a bit of constructive criticism, which can be hard to take. It is vital that a mentor be a patient soul, because tempers may flare, and quick fixes are few and far between."

Be a role model.
As a mentor, your actions are being evaluated, so you must set the bar for yourself just as high, or higher, than you'd expect from your mentee, Kahn says.

"Your goal is to not only provide direction and advice, but to get your mentee to act upon them," Parnell adds. "And while conversations can be motivating, few things are more impactful than to lead by example. A mentor's mantra must be: ‘Do as I do, not just as I say.'"

Care about the relationship.
"Invest yourself in your mentee and you'll get so much more out of the experience," Kahn says.

"Mentees are usually eager, invested, and can be a bit vulnerable, leaving them to hang on your words and to pay close attention to, well, everything you do," Parnell says. "Few things are more demotivating than ‘phoning in' your time and efforts; it takes a sincere interest in the betterment of your mentee to avoid this. So, if you can't muster a sincere desire right from the beginning, you'll do better to find a more suitable fit, because you may do more harm than good," he concludes.

jerrytz i must be honest, am so impressed with what you wrote!! BTW How can i be a good mentor??? Mentors are born or made??

Last edited by a moderator:
Mentorship is somewhat of a dangerous idea. I have never had a mentor. I have never wanted one. I respect the wisdom of many, many great men and learn from them. But people are people. They will fail and they disappoint. Let ideas mentor you, not other humans. That's my approach, at least. :)

Thanks Jerrytz for your wonderful article.
I have been a mentee and recently a mentor to few people, so I can relate to what you are saying.
Keep it up and let's keep on educating and propelling each other higher!

Mentorship is somewhat of a dangerous idea. I have never had a mentor. I have never wanted one. I respect the wisdom of many, many great men and learn from them. But people are people. They will fail and they disappoint. Let ideas mentor you, not other humans. That's my approach, at least. :)
JohnScott07 ideas are borne from people.Sometimes ideas alone can not help in getting the 'know how' a Starter badly need.This because most of the time ideas are too theoretical!

Today, scientific research provides compelling data to support the notion that giving one's time, talents and knowledge is a powerful pathway to finding purpose, transcending difficulties and finding fulfilment and meaning of life.

Most people experience positive emotional feeling from helping others. When we help someone we become even happier.

Yes, some people might dissapoint while you are trying to help them but equally some will remember you one day and return your kindness.
Remember the saying, 'help people on your way up and they will help you on your way down'

Great article Jerrytz and quite helpful as well
-"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton-

The words of Sir Isaac Newton on the value of mentors is undeniable, because mentors indeed do provide vital tools and intangible resources not readily available or accessible due to their experience, access and vintage point.

It doesn't matter which path you are on at the moment, you will discover that you can not 'do', or 'go' or 'be' all you can be all by yourself. Invariably, no one is an island and our interconnectedness is more obvious now than before such that no one can exist or succeed in a vacuum. Each one of us will require other people's help, support, insight, feedback and resources at one point on our journey. Yet, I find the essence of mentorship goes deep, according to Proverbs 11:14, "in the multitude of counselors (mentoring) there is safety".

Quite simply, our success will require the input of others.
-

Mentors Must Have These Attributes

Great-mentors provide intangible resources and vital tools not readily available or accessible due to their experience, access and vintage point. In my humble opinion, great mentors are the proverbial 'wind' beneath one's wings.

They literally make one fly!

I have been fortunate to have been surrounded by parents who were counsellors and to have observed the effect of -their mentoring on the community. Here are some undeniable attributes of great mentors:

Great mentors will-always be interested and invested in your success.
Great mentors will always have your best interest at heart.
Great mentors will focus on helping you be the best you can be.
Great mentors will-not compete with you but rather complement you because your success isn't a threat to theirs.

Here are 7 reasons why you need a mentor:

1. Mentors help you transition and adapt to changes. -The economy of the new workforce will not operate solely on hard work but rather on smart work. You need to get smarter. Mentors will help you get smarter.

2. Mentors allow you to see beyond where you are. They provide ideas, thoughts and insights that challenge-and enable you to see beyond your sphere of influence.-Mentors will amplify your vision.--

3. Mentors push you to go farther. They refuse to let you settle on your oars and invariably challenge you to go farther than you can possibly imagine. Mentors will extend you further.

4. Mentors nurture you by protecting you from premature exposure such as making critical political or organizational mistakes or career or business miscues that can derail your success. Mentors by their sound counsel guide-proteges from ending up in-pits.

5.-Mentors strengthen you by empowering you. Mentors use their stories and perspectives to paint pictures of what is possible.-They use words and their actions to support you. Invariably, building you up for more than you ever thought possible.-

6. Mentors elevate you by making their shoulders your platform. They prop you up and this demonstration of trust must not be abused as their extensions is a critical validation that will eventually open doors and grant you access to opportunities beyond your circle.-

7. Lastly, mentors never give up on you. They-never quit believing, encouraging and engaging their protege. Great mentors assume the vision of their proteges until it is a reality.
-

Best,
Jerrytz