War heroes: Otafiire cautions Museveni

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
Richard Wanambwa
Kampala

Trade Minister Kahinda Otafiire has told President Museveni to stop sidelining the bush war historicals, reminding him of their contribution to the struggle that brought him to power 23 years ago.

Maj. Gen. Otafiire, who was speaking in the presence of Mr Museveni at his son Mr Francis Musinguzi’s wedding reception held at Munyonyo on Saturday, attributed the fall out, involving some ruling National Resistance Movement historicals to “political differences”. “Never forget old friends, there is no problem under the current (multiparty) arrangement that cannot be solved through discussions,”Maj. Gen. Otafiire told Mr Museveni. “I may disagree with the President, but I will always support you, brothers can quarrel but life does not stop and that is why Maj. Gen. (Mugisha) Muntu (of FDC) is here.”

In his response also contained in a State House statement, issued yesterday, President Museveni without delving into the details reportedly gave a standing ovation to his bush war comrades, describing them as revolutionaries, who endured the war desolation for the good of the country. He also revealed that that was the reason he has come to the support of both Maj. Gen. Otafiire and Security Minister Amama Mbabazi “when they were being attacked by all sorts of people”.

“I have known Otafiire for a long time during our struggles alongside other revolutionaries including (Eriya) Kategaya, (Martin) Mwesiga, (Ruhakana) Rugunda and (Amama) Mbabazi. Hon. Mbabazi and Otafiire helped me rebuild the kakuyege (mobilisation) in Uganda of 1974 that had gone wrong earlier in 1972 and 1973. I want to take this opportunity to thank all these revolutionaries for their contribution to peace in this country,” Mr Museveni said.

In October last year, Mr Museveni supported Mr Mbabazi also the ruling NRM party’s Secretary General, who had been accused of using his position in the government to craft a deal in which the National Social Security Fund bought more than 400 acres of his land in Temangalo, Wakiso at Shs11 billion.

Some of the bush war veterans present included; Gen. Caleb Akandwanaho a.k.a Salim Saleh, Lt. Gen. Ivan Koreta, Maj. Gen. Jim Muhwezi, Maj. Gen. James Kazini, Maj. Gen. Mugisha Muntu, Brig. Henry Tumukunde, and Brig. Elly Kayanja.

While Maj. Gen. Muntu has since joined the opposition Forum for Democratic Change after major political disagreements with President Museveni, there are bush war fighters like Maj. Gen. Muhwezi and Brig. Tumukunde, still in support of government but have publicly complained about their plight within ruling party.

Explaining the allegations of sidelining some historicals, Mr Museveni singled out the sacking of his brother Saleh from the army top leadership, saying: “I dismissed Saleh from the army because he was misbehaving, otherwise people were making noise about it and I had to react because I did not want NRM to collapse like UPC. I told him not to drink or do it home but I had to dismiss him.”

Some of the key NRM cadres most of them historicals worked with Mr Museveni during the National Resistance Army (NRA) liberation war but have since fallen out with the government include the FDC president Dr Kizza Besigye, Col. Amanya Mushega and Maj. John Kazoora among others. Due to political differences, Dr Besigye and Museveni have not met since 2001.

Dr Besigye, who was Mr Museveni’s personal physician during the 5-year old bush war has since become one of his strongest political opponents, running against him both in the 2001 and 2006 presidential elections. Both elections have declared by the Supreme Court to have been conducted amidst irregularities, though the same court upheld them

It is always good to protect and support war heroes if they also continue be royal to the government in power. They should not sideline with oppositions and wait to be protected for a single factor that they are war heroes. I cherish Museveni is a man of his words and he can ditch anyone who is against him.

Back
Top Bottom