engmtolera
JF-Expert Member
- Oct 21, 2010
- 5,149
- 1,441
Constitutional court due to rule on whether Yingluck Shinawatra abused her power, and may dismiss her if found guilty.Thailand's Constitutional Court is set to decide whether to remove Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra from office on abuse of power charges, a ruling that threatens to plunge the kingdom further into turmoil.
Wednesday's legal procedure comes as Shinawatra stands accused in the country's highest court of abusing her authority by transferring a senior civil servant in 2011 to another position, allegedly for the benefit of herself or her Pheu Thai Party.
The court could also rule her Cabinet liable as well, and force all ministers out of office, leaving a power vacuum that the government's opponents hope to fill with their own loyalists."I would like to deny all allegations I am accused of," Yingluck testified on Tuesday. "As the prime minister, I am entitled to carry out responsibilities I have toward the people ... and for the utmost benefit of the general public.
"Sacking Yingluck and her cabinet could send the nation into uncharted territory, leaving it without a premier, cabinet and lower house - which was dissolved to hold elections in February that were later annulled, AFP news agency reported.
Yingluck appears trapped by legal moves against her premiership after six months of street protests that have left 25 people dead and hundreds wounded in gun and grenade attacks.The court, notoriously unsympathetic to her government, is widely expected to rule against Yingluck, reported the Associated Press news agency.
Wednesday's legal procedure comes as Shinawatra stands accused in the country's highest court of abusing her authority by transferring a senior civil servant in 2011 to another position, allegedly for the benefit of herself or her Pheu Thai Party.
The court could also rule her Cabinet liable as well, and force all ministers out of office, leaving a power vacuum that the government's opponents hope to fill with their own loyalists."I would like to deny all allegations I am accused of," Yingluck testified on Tuesday. "As the prime minister, I am entitled to carry out responsibilities I have toward the people ... and for the utmost benefit of the general public.
"Sacking Yingluck and her cabinet could send the nation into uncharted territory, leaving it without a premier, cabinet and lower house - which was dissolved to hold elections in February that were later annulled, AFP news agency reported.
Yingluck appears trapped by legal moves against her premiership after six months of street protests that have left 25 people dead and hundreds wounded in gun and grenade attacks.The court, notoriously unsympathetic to her government, is widely expected to rule against Yingluck, reported the Associated Press news agency.