To Whom Ever It May Concern

Mzalendo

Mar 10, 2006
How to resign: Hand in your notice without burning bridges

You relish the moment you will tell your boss that you are leaving to work for more money at a competitor. But before you rush to hand your notice in, make sure you know how to handle what can be an awkward conversation.
Not the way to do it... Even when seeing out your notice period you should stay alert.

I have never been very good at goodbyes. In fact, I would go so far as to say I don’t believe there is ever really a final goodbye. The finality of the word implies that there is nothing afterwards, no possibility of seeing, working or associating with that person ever again.

Like most people I have worked for a variety of companies and throughout my career I have tried to avoid burning bridges. While an invading Hernán Cortés, upon arrival in 16th Century South America, burned the ships that carried him and his soldiers, leaving no way home; I believe that keeping a way back to an old employer is essential.

Over the past couple of years, those who have stayed with a company because it was a safe port in a storm are now thinking about the next challenge, the next position in their career path.

The firm you have been with may have not been the nicest place to be and the pressure coming from your boss may have been intolerable, but you have seen it through and accepted the extra pressure because of the recession.
Recently, however, the headhunters have come knocking and you are close to saying yes to an exciting new role. At last, you will be rid of these fools: the boss that has been on your case for two years knowing that you don’t have other options. Pressuring you to work longer and harder because “you’re lucky to have a job at all”. Sound familiar?

You relish the moment you will tell your boss you’re leaving for more money, less travel and a more professionally run competitor. You can’t wait to see the look on their faces when they find out you are leaving. Your notice period, Ha. You will be in late every day, leave early and do as little as possible. This is payback time.
The temptation to gloat and punish them is huge. Your chance to say what you really think of how useless they are. If you can see some of you in this scenario, then now is the time to do the opposite of what you really want to do.

Be gracious. Tell them it has been a great honour working with them and that you have learned a lot, that you will do all you can to make sure the handover is dealt with smoothly and that for the right opportunity you would always consider working for the firm again.

Change is sometimes scary, so put your resignation in writing. Somehow formalising it into written words helps you to crystallise why it is you are leaving and reduces the temptation not to follow through.
If there is a counter-offer, while flattering, be clear about the reasons you are leaving. Is it just about the money? What would the firm really have to change to make you spend the next three to five years with them? Is the counter-offer simply a bribe to stay a little longer?

Source: Jonathan Krogdahl is a director at executive search firm The Curzon Partnership

KEY: in this case the boss is the common mwananchi

Back
Top Bottom