The curious case of "the yellow patch" on Thabeet's hair

thedon

JF-Expert Member
Mar 18, 2011
thabeetorange.jpg

So I'm watching the OKC/Bulls game and Thabeet is doing his thing and he is got this orange patch in his hair. He goes down injured and while the announcers are discussing what is going on and talking about where he is from and where he went to college and all one of them goes on to explain why he is got this yellow patch on his head. According to the announcer, I'm paraphrasing here a bit, Thabeet has relatives that are Knights in his tribe from Tanzania and the yellow patch in his hair is in recognition/honor to that. So it got me curious what tribe is he from and what is the equivalent of Knights in our tribes or cultures in general? On a side note though, he had a noice! game the other day against the Raptors,a 10 and 5 night, not shabby at all. I honestly think that 10 and 5 is his range and that's a level he should be well and capable of maintaining. Also wish him well on the injury and hopefully its nothing serious.

The quote below is from an OKC blog that also mentions the intriguing orange patch of hair. One site goes even as far as cracking a joke about how he is dressing up as Rasheed Wallace for Halloween only that he is a few days late, hella funny joke!

"I guess this is as good a time as any to tell you about Thabeet’s sort of orange patch of hair. He told me it’s tribal, something he does in honor of his family members who are knights in the tribe. He got it when he went back in the off-season and says he most likely will keep it all season."

dah nlitamani uzi huu ila umombo nao umenitoa!

But seriously though, Jamaa kabila gani? Kabila gani hilo lenye Knights, even Google Translate does not have a Swahili translation for it. The only thing I can think of is Wamasai and their Morani. But even then Morani are the warrior class and not necessarily Knights.

Jaman hizo swagger tu za thabeet,, ila tuache masikhara jamaa yupo mbali sana as naona kwenye picha hapo anaongea na Kevin Durant mmojawapo ya watu wanaoheshimika sana duniani... Sipati picha siku ya harusi ya thabeet wanyamwezi watavyotua Tanzania.. Naona hotels zitafurika kina le bron james, kobe bryant, howard na wengineo kibao..

Jaman hizo swagger tu za thabeet,, ila tuache masikhara jamaa yupo mbali sana as naona kwenye picha hapo anaongea na Kevin Durant mmojawapo ya watu wanaoheshimika sana duniani... Sipati picha siku ya harusi ya thabeet wanyamwezi watavyotua Tanzania.. Naona hotels zitafurika kina le bron james, kobe bryant, howard na wengineo kibao..

Ah wapi! Kobe does not even talk to some of his own teammates at times let alone attend someone's wedding. But honestly he could end up being an NBA champ by the end of the season though.

At this point Thabeet anaweza kuanzisha kabila lake la wapambe Tanzania na akajipa u knight na kutunga coat of arms and a whole rainbow of patches.

Complete with recruiting Kikwete and a whole gang of hanger on oblomovich oligarchs.

And the Tanzanians would laugh, with the Americans believing this fantasy. After all, it is what they mostly want to sell.

A Tarzan straight out of the jungles of Tasmania (or is it Tanzay-near?)

But seriously though, Jamaa kabila gani? Kabila gani hilo lenye Knights, even Google Translate does not have a Swahili translation for it. The only thing I can think of is Wamasai and their Morani. But even then Morani are the warrior class and not necessarily Knights.

Kwani mkuu wa sungusungu wa kijijini sio knight yule?

Au knight mpaka awe mzungu?

Kwani mkuu wa sungusungu wa kijijini sio knight yule?

Au knight mpaka awe mzungu?

It has nothing to do with being Mzungu or not but based on my understanding of what a Knight is I'm having a hard time finding an equivalent title or rank in our culture. The closest I can think of is Akida which translates to Captain or Prince. Frankly I'm not even sure what an Akida is so even that is lost on me.

Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check this Kobe stare. The man is alien-like when it comes to intensity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom