Senator Mike Sonko & Peter Kenneth trade blame after fans clash at Dagoretti match

Dr. Job

JF-Expert Member
Jan 22, 2013
Sonko, Kenneth trade blame after fans clash at Dagoretti match

1514631_0.jpg

Nairobi governor aspirant Peter Kenneth addresses supporters in Dagoretti where he went to watch a football match, February 26, 2017.

Mike Sonko and Peter Kenneth's rivalry spilled over to their supporters during a football match in Dagoretti, Nairobi, on Sunday.

A video shows Kenneth, a governor aspirant, watching the game when the Senator arrives in a convoy, accompanied by Dagoretti South MP Dennis Waweru.

They wave at their supporters as the match between Mutuini Rangers and Shooting Stars goes on, and then alight and walk for a while surrounded by a screaming and shouting group.

The fighting then breaks out for reasons that remain unclear. Dust fills the air as groups point fingers at each other, some resorting to fist fights and dragging each other from corner to corner.

This forces bodyguards who accompanied Kenneth and Sonko to shoot in the air in attempts to contain the situation. But unmoved, some of the supporters continue fighting.

Riot police then arrive and lob tear gas canisters leading to running battles. The chaos forced Sonko and his team to flee leaving Kenneth and his supporters at the arena.

Speaking after the hullabaloo, Kenneth said Sonko's behaviour was "total madness and totally uncalled for".

"Mumeona...Mumeona (Have you seen what has happened)?" he asks while gesturing at the video crew.

"I hope desperation will stop being the order of the day. It's unfair to have gun shots fired at a football match."

Kenneth said the theatrics at such a function were also unfair.

"...we have seen some five minutes of madness. I was here and I am still here," he said.

But speaking separately, Sonko accused Kenneth's supporters of starting the chaos.

"I was here... We never incited anyone. In fact, it is they who began throwing stones," he said.

But Kenyans on Facebook and Twitter said both politicians behaved in an unfortunate manner.

"We cannot vote for hooligans," Sylvester Suleei said via Facebook, while Peter Wanjiru said the problem is that Kenyans never draw lessons from the past.

Another user urged the government to arrest the two.

"Why can't the government arrest these idiots who are misusing guns in public?" asked Jason Cunliffe.

The race for the governor seat held by Evans Kidero (ODM) has resulted in the formation of two factions in Jubilee Party.

Team Nairobi is made up of Sonko, Waweru, former Starehe MP Margaret Wanjiru and nominated MP Johnson Sakaja.

The four are opposed to Kenneth's bid, which is supported by Maina Kamanda, Nominated Senator Beatrice Elachi and MPs Rachel Shebesh (woman representative) and James Gakuya (Embakasi North).

Sonko has severely criticised Kenneth, who is from Murang'a county, terming him a foreigner who is not welcome to the race.

[VIDEO] Sonko, Kenneth trade blame after fans clash at Dagoretti match

Back
Top Bottom