Rio Ferdinand retires and thanks "genius" Sir Alex

mansakankanmusa

JF-Expert Member
Sep 30, 2010
6kRSo2

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has announced his retirement from playing football at the age of 36.

Ferdinand spent 12 years at Old Trafford where he became one of the most revered centre-backs in United's history. He made 455 Reds appearances, scored eight goals and won six Premier League titles, one European Cup, a FIFA Club World Cup and two League Cups. He left in May 2014 to join Queens Park Rangers.

He announced his decision to retire in a statement in which he reserved special gratitude to Sir Alex Ferguson, who he describes as "a genius".

"After 18 years as a professional footballer I now feel it's the right time for me to retire from the game that I love," Ferdinand said. "As a 12-year-old boy, kicking around a football on the Friary Estate in Peckham, I never dreamt that I would play for my boyhood club West Ham, captain Leeds, win the Champions League with Manchester United, or re-join my first manager Harry Redknapp at QPR.

"I will always regard the 81 times that I played for England with immense pride. These are all treasured memories that will last a lifetime.

"Starting a career, every young man needs mentors. I found mine in Dave Goodwin, the District Manager at Blackheath, and Tony Carr, the Youth Team Manager at West Ham.

They instilled in me personality traits that lasted throughout my career. I will always be grateful to them.

"I'd like to thank Chris Ramsey, Harry Redknapp, David O'Leary and David Moyes who managed me at various times in.

Source: ManUtd.com