Rihanna's 'Man Down' video 'inexcusable,' parent group says

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
YouTube - ‪Rihanna - Man Down ( Official Music Video )‬‏

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The music video for Rihanna's newest single, "Man Down," is "an inexcusable, shock-only, shoot-and-kill theme song" that should not be aired on television, according to a group that campaigns against violence on TV.

Rihanna defended her video Thursday with a posting on her Twitter account: "U can't hide your kids from society, or they'll never learn how to adapt! This is the REAL WORLD!"

"The music industry isn't exactly Parents R Us! We have the freedom to make art, LET US! Its your job to make sure they dont turn out like US," she tweeted.

The hip-hop singer, who was herself a victim of a beating by ex-boyfriend Chris Brown, portrays a woman who guns down a man who sexually assaulted her.
The video, which premiered on the BET cable channel Tuesday, "gives retaliation in the form of premeditated murder the imprimatur of acceptability," the Parents Television Council said in a news release.
The founder of the council's "Enough is Enough" anti-violence campaign called the video "a clear violation of BET's own programming guidelines."
"I join with the Parents Television Council and Industry Ears in calling on Viacom executives to immediately pull the video from programs that are targeted to youth and teenagers," Pastor Delman Coates wrote in Wednesday's news release.

Industry Ears describes itself on its website as a "nonpartisan think tank aimed at addressing and finding solutions to disparities in media that negatively impact individuals and communities."

BET, which is a subsidiary of Viacom, issued a statement Thursday afternoon saying the video complied with "a comprehensive set of standards and guidelines that are applied to all of our content."
"At the same time, it is clear that the 'Man Down' video has sparked a passionate dialogue and we will continue this conversation with our audience tonight on '106 & Park.'"

Rihanna and her representatives did not immediately respond to CNN requests for comment.
The artist did use Twitter messages Wednesday and Thursday to thank her fans for "the amazing response" and to defend her video.
"I love you guys, and I love that u GOT IT!!!" Rihanna tweeted Wednesday.

"We're strong innocent fun flirtatious vulnerable, and sometimes our innocence can cause us to be naive! We always think it could NEVER be us, but in reality, it can happen to ANY of us!" she wrote.

She launched a series of tweets again after the controversy spread in media reports Thursday:
"I'm a 23 year old rockstar with NO KIDS! What's up with everybody wantin me to be a parent? I'm just a girl, I can only be your/our voice!"
"Cuz we all know how difficult/embarrassing it is to communicate touchy subject matters to anyone especially our parents!"
"And this is why! Cuz we turn the other cheek! U can't hide your kids from society, or they'll never learn how to adapt! This is the REAL WORLD!"

"The music industry isn't exactly Parents R Us! We have the freedom to make art, LET US! Its your job to make sure they dont turn out like US."
The video opens with Rihanna using a small revolver to shoot a man on a street, apparently in her native Barbados. The viewers see a graphic view of the man lying dead in the street with a pool of blood streaming near his head. It then flashes back to the previous day, when the shooter was sexually attacked.

"What started out as a simple altercation turns into a real sticky situation," Rihanna sings.
"Makes me want to cry, because I didn't mean to hurt him, could've been somebody's son," the song says. "Oh, mama, I just shot a man down"
"Why did I pull the trigger?" she sings. "Now I am a criminal."

Huu wimbo mzuri sana, mashairi, ujumbe poa bt cjaichek video yake!

kwa kweli hata wasimlaumu
kuna waimbaji wengine wanatoa
video mbaya kuliko hii..

kuna adverts na TV program nyingine
dahhhhh balaa tu ..

wimbo mzuri video imetulia..

afrodenzi hyo video ikoje? Cjabahatika kuicheki. Rihana anasema ule ndio uasilia wenyewe, watoto hawawezi kutengwa na jamii kwa kufichwa mambo bt kuna haja ya wao kuujua ukweli!

Good girl gone bad. lakini nimeupenda wimbo kiasi. Huo ndio uhalisia wenyewe. Utawaficha wototo paka lini. Wengine wamejaribu kufanya hivyo only kusikia wao wamenshoot mwenzao mtaa wa pili. It is time to face the reality.

EMT hapo umelonga mkubwa, bt nadhan jina halikupaswa kuwa MAN DOWN, tatizo huu wimbo upo ki ferminist sana, atleast angeuita WORLD'S REALITY Ungekua na maana sana!

EMT hapo umelonga mkubwa, bt nadhan jina halikupaswa kuwa MAN DOWN, tatizo huu wimbo upo ki ferminist sana, atleast angeuita WORLD'S REALITY Ungekua na maana sana!

World‘s reality?!????Bwoiii you are artistically numb!!

This song is one of the best na video haina issue........ hawa wanaharakati mara nyingi wanapenda kudandia treni kwa mbele

I am loving the video too.... fookin' jamaican taste!!!

Sweet song, Man down!!!

• Thanks
Reactions: EMT
video inaanza na mauaji,halafu anasema watoto hawawezi kutengwa na jamii kwa kuficha mambo,je mambo hayo ni yapi? au n diyo hayo yanayoelekeana na mauaji'

Thnk u liz, man down is perfect. More 2 it its nt az feminist az ths psn thnks, th lyrics tel it al. Its jst a topic unda majadiliano.

the more i watch this song the more i like the story
dem kachezewa na kachezea... sema fatality imemkumba jamaa

This song is one of the best na video haina issue........ hawa wanaharakati mara nyingi wanapenda kudandia treni kwa mbele

I am loving the video too.... fookin' jamaican taste!!!

Sweet song, Man down!!!

Mkuu nimepnda hizo beats pia. Kuna mtoto wa kike jirani less than 12 years old amekuja home. Akaomba kutumia computer tukampa. Alichofanya ni kwenda straight youtube na ku-play huu mziki. Nilivyomwuliza ameujuaje akajibu ni single mpya ya Rihanna. Nilivyomwuliza kama anaupenda huu wimbo akasema, she is not into Rhanna but she likes this song. Kana utapigwa ban kuonyeshwa kwenye TV, still watoto wataaccess da song youtube na site nyingine. Kwa dunia ya sasa ya utandawazi ni vigumu kubana vitu kama hivi.

I didn't mean to end his life
I know it wasn't right
I can't even sleep at night
Can't get it off my mind
I need to get out of sight
Before I end up behind bars

What started out as a simple altercation
Turned into a real sticky situation
Me just thinking on the time that I'm facing
Makes me wanna cry

'Cause I didn't mean to hurt him
Could've been somebody's son
And I took his heart when
I pulled out that gun

Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Man down
Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Man down

Oh, mama, mama, mama
I just shot a man down
In central station
In front of a big old crowd
Oh why, oh why
Oh, mama, mama, mama
I just shot a man down
In central station

It's a 22, I call her Peggy Sue
When she fits right down in my shoes
What do you expect me to do
If you're playing me for a fool
I will lose my cool
And reach for my fire arm

I didn't mean to lay him down
But it's too late to turn back now
Don't know what I was thinking
Now he's no longer living
So I'm 'bout to leave town

'Cause I didn't mean to hurt him
Could've been somebody's son
And I took his heart when
I pulled out that gun

Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum

[ From: RIHANNA - MAN DOWN LYRICS ]

Rum bum bum bum
Man down
Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Man down

Oh, mama, mama, mama
I just shot a man down
In central station
Oh why, oh why
Oh, mama, mama, mama
I just shot a man down
In central station

Look, I never thought I'd do it
Never thought I'd do it
Never thought I'd do it, oh gosh
What ever happened to me
Ever happened to me, ever happened to me
Why did I pull the trigger
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, boom
And end a nigga, end a niggas life so soon
When me pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull it 'pon you
Somebody tell me what I'm gonna, what I'm gonna do

Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Me say wah man down (A weh me say)
Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
Rum bum bum bum
When me went downtown

'Cause now I am a criminal, criminal, criminal
Oh lord have mercy now I am a criminal
Man down
Tell the judge please give me minimal
Run out of town,
None of them can see me now, see me now

Oh, mama, mama, mama
I just shot a man down
In central station
Oh why, oh why
Oh, mama, mama, mama
I just shot a man down
In central station

Mkuu huu wimbo ucpime, naupenda km ulivyo, Rihana ana msg kali sana kwetu, WANAWAKE WAPO KTK HARAKATI. Nadhan hv ndio anavyowaza kuhusu chris brown, duh! Man down noma!

• Thanks
Reactions: EMT
Nyimbo za shosti Rihana nyingi ni kali,
Mfano hii, mara ya kwanza naisikia nilifurahi sana,
Bibie yupo serious na music,
Video hii naona ipo poa, ukilinganisha na za yule shetani "lady Gaga"
Japo zipo video zingine za R hazijakaa poa ila sio hii