Radical Islam vs Islamic Identity and Islamic nationalism

Masokotz

JF-Expert Member
Nov 26, 2018
I have lived and worked with Muslim brethren and I can generally testify to their good character as well as their religious dedication.I know the topic of my subject may be very touchy and to some extent controversial,but I feel obligated to give my opinion in this regard given my experience and belief on the dangers facing our nation during this election season.

There is a document circulating which is regarded as an official statement from a certain Islamic Organization which is believed to be the official statement of the Islamic community in Tanzania. I would not decide on the authenticity nor authority of the document but I will rather critically examine the document with respect the condition of the members of the Islamic Community in the country as of now.

Firstly I need to point out that,Muslims in Tanzania are not minorities and should not be regarded as such.Secondly it should be emphasized that Tanzania is a secular state and it is in now way required to consider a person's religion identity as the basis for appointment to any public office.Neither is the country, as a secular state required to keep track of the number of Muslims employed in public office or members of any religious group in that matter

It should also be noted that having an "Islamic name" or a "non Islamic" name is not a basis for determining a person's religious affiliation and there are no National statistical data which record information about religious affiliation of the citizens of Tanzania.It is the responsibility of the respective religious bodies to keep records of their members and manage their affairs without interference from the government.

To return to the matter at hand,my opinion of the the document which from this point forward I will refer to it as a "The Shura Letter" is that the the Shura Letter has proven that there are members of Islamic community who are determined to disturb the peace of the Nation by hiding under the umbrella of Islamic Nationalism and Islamic Identity.

It is true that as a Nation we have a long way to go as far as equitable distribution national wealth is concerned.It is also true that more needs to be done to ensure that there is justice to all people and equality before the law ,but I refuse to agree that it is only the Muslim brothers and sisters who are victims of this injustice and others are not.I am inclined that it is due to bad intentions that the authors of the Shura Letter decided to associate Islamic faith with the hidden political Agenda of developing radical Islam sentiments and Islamic Nationalism.

My question to the authors of the Shura letter is whether their intention is to empower the Muslim brethren or is it disturb the peace as we move towards election.The issues that they have raised and attributed to discrimination against Muslims have been there for a long time but why have they decided to raise them now?Is this an attempt to cause panic and anger to influence the election in October?If yes why did they have to play the religion card,They could have raised all the issues without clearly pointing that Muslims are being discriminated against.

There is more work to be done to build morality and self determination among Muslims beside stirring them against the government.The Shura letter has clearly pointed about the bitter fact of the enemy within.The radical sentiments are partly to blame for the discrimination against Muslims "if it does exist" The Shura letter is a proof that members of the Islamic elite are not ready to tell their followers the truth instead the feed them with hate against the establishment :"but to what ends?

I know they may have some good intentions but which are these? to make Muslims hate the government?to make them feel powerless?helpless?To what end are we stirring all these troubles?

I may not be right but my advice to the Muslim communities is to be cautious of such people with intentions to cause havoc?If there is an injustice to any person we should defend what is right regardless of the person that is what true religion is about.WE ARE TANZANIANS FIRST AND THEN MUSLIMS.Keeping our peace should be a priority and fight for justice should be the guiding principle.

I stand by any one who is demanding justice and equality non discriminatively and I against those who decide to mix their political Agenda and use their religious influence to mislead and mis-influence the masses.

Apart from the perceived notion of the Shura letter I still support the issues raised in the areas of mistreatment of employees,unfair imprisonment as well as the demands for new constitution and the need for free and fair election.They are all fair demands on their own without the religion facade.

I do not support the arrest of Sheikh Ponda which I consider unfair unless there is criminality in the content of the letter which to me does not make sense.The Shura letter is a document which should be put up for public discussion among the Muslims themselves as well as other interested parties.Sheikh Ponda should be judged if there is any criminal offence and he should be given a fair trial but should not be denied a right to express himself even in this offensive manner which I still think should be said and discussed.

The language you have used is headache in our country !!! So automatically you have limited response!!! Local people!!

Mnavyokuja na lugha hii muwe mnatanguliza bia kwanza..

Anyway.. Lipumba alieleweka vizuri... Kuishi kwa furaha Tanzania inawezekana.

Back
Top Bottom