Qatar extends travel ban on ex-Gitmo inmates; talks continue

Qatar extends travel ban on ex-Gitmo inmates; talks continue

Ishmael

JF-Expert Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Posts
15,039
Reaction score
6,018
WASHINGTON -- Qatar has agreed to temporarily extend travel bans on five senior Taliban leaders released last year from the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in exchange for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, a senior U.S. official said on Sunday.

The official said the ban would remain in place until diplomatic talks for a longer-term solution are completed. The restrictions had been due to expire on Monday under a May 2014 exchange for Bergdahl. U.S. officials said Friday the Obama administration was closing in on an agreement with Qatar to extend the restrictions for six months that could be announced this weekend. It was not immediately clear why that agreement had not been finalized.

The official said the U.S. remains in “close contact” with Qatari authorities “to make sure these individuals do not pose a threat to the United States.” As a result of the talks to date, Qatar “has agreed to maintain the current restrictive conditions on these individuals as we continue these discussions,” the official said.

The official said the former detainees are all currently in Qatar and remain subject to the travel ban and extensive monitoring. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to publicly speak to the matter.

Read more: Qatar extends travel ban on ex-Gitmo inmates; talks continue | The Star Telegram The Star Telegram
 
Back
Top Bottom