Geza Ulole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 31, 2009
Shock As Paypal Blocks Safaricom’s M-Pesa Subscribers Over Fraud
By
Francis Muli
-
July 19, 2018

Kenyans with Paypal accounts linked to their Mpesa’s woke up to a rude shock, with their accounts in limited status, most of them permanently. The move was done without prior notice, even affecting users who have fully adhered with PayPal’s terms and conditions.

If your account is limited, it means that you won’t be able to do certain things with your PayPal account. For example, you might not be able to send or withdraw money.

Upon inquiry, customers received a mail telling them that the ‘decision to leave their accounts in a permanent limitation is final.’

“Paypal reserves the right to limit access to any account reported to be involved in possible fraudulent or high risk behaviour. In the event of a dispute, Paypal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your Paypal balance and, if there are no sufficient funds in your Paypal balance, Paypal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any other legal means,” read a response sent to one of the customers.

Some of the accounts have been locked for 180 days, after which they will be able to access their ‘remaining funds’.

“Due to the potential risk of chargebacks and other risks of funds reversals, your balance will be held for 180 days from the date of the limitation. At that time, any remaining funds will be available for withdrawal,” read a response.

Read: How Safaricom Staff and CID Officers Aid Muloti SIM Swap Scammers To Defraud Subscribers

Customers took to PayPal’s official Facebook page to air their dissatisfaction with the move, most of whom their funds have been locked.

“Why are you closing Kenyans account at this rate I feel frustrated.Mine this is third time being closed. No clear reasons,” decried Frank Mawira.

Another one, Mercy Virginiah, was ready to abandon using Safaricom’s Mpesa service if it is the one that led to her account being locked.

“For the second time in 2 months my account has been permanently limited. It is very frustrating since I do legitimate transactions and follow your regulations to the letter. Is it because we use the Paypal-Safaricom transactions? I hope PayPal came clear on this issue since many Kenyan accounts linked to Safaricom have been limited. We would readily stop using Safaricom if need be.Kindly clarify for us,” said Virginiah.

This week, a cartel based in Muloti revealed to Kahawa Tungu how they were scamming Mpesa users with the help of CID officers and Safaricom staffers. This could be the reason the online payment company wants to lock out Mpesa from its transactions, to shun from injuring its reputation.

Paypal is yet to issue a statement on why they limited most of Kenyan Paypal accounts.

Shock As Paypal Blocks Safaricom’s M-Pesa Subscribers Over Fraud
By
Francis Muli
-
July 19, 2018

Kenyans with Paypal accounts linked to their Mpesa’s woke up to a rude shock, with their accounts in limited status, most of them permanently. The move was done without prior notice, even affecting users who have fully adhered with PayPal’s terms and conditions.

If your account is limited, it means that you won’t be able to do certain things with your PayPal account. For example, you might not be able to send or withdraw money.

Upon inquiry, customers received a mail telling them that the ‘decision to leave their accounts in a permanent limitation is final.’

“Paypal reserves the right to limit access to any account reported to be involved in possible fraudulent or high risk behaviour. In the event of a dispute, Paypal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your Paypal balance and, if there are no sufficient funds in your Paypal balance, Paypal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any other legal means,” read a response sent to one of the customers.

Some of the accounts have been locked for 180 days, after which they will be able to access their ‘remaining funds’.

“Due to the potential risk of chargebacks and other risks of funds reversals, your balance will be held for 180 days from the date of the limitation. At that time, any remaining funds will be available for withdrawal,” read a response.

Read: How Safaricom Staff and CID Officers Aid Muloti SIM Swap Scammers To Defraud Subscribers

Customers took to PayPal’s official Facebook page to air their dissatisfaction with the move, most of whom their funds have been locked.

“Why are you closing Kenyans account at this rate I feel frustrated.Mine this is third time being closed. No clear reasons,” decried Frank Mawira.

Another one, Mercy Virginiah, was ready to abandon using Safaricom’s Mpesa service if it is the one that led to her account being locked.

“For the second time in 2 months my account has been permanently limited. It is very frustrating since I do legitimate transactions and follow your regulations to the letter. Is it because we use the Paypal-Safaricom transactions? I hope PayPal came clear on this issue since many Kenyan accounts linked to Safaricom have been limited. We would readily stop using Safaricom if need be.Kindly clarify for us,” said Virginiah.

This week, a cartel based in Muloti revealed to Kahawa Tungu how they were scamming Mpesa users with the help of CID officers and Safaricom staffers. This could be the reason the online payment company wants to lock out Mpesa from its transactions, to shun from injuring its reputation.

Paypal is yet to issue a statement on why they limited most of Kenyan Paypal accounts.

Where has PayPal announced it is suspending operations in Kenya?
I have a Paypal account linked to Mpesa and it is working normally. Actually I made a withdrawal just 2 days ago.

Making such assertions just because some people had their account limited shows how bongolala you are.
And if you check PayPal complaints online, limiting or closing customer accounts is a very common thing. It doesn't matter the country.

Most nonsensical post ever!
PayPal has been in Kenya since 2006 and allowed withdrawals to US bank accounts(back then you could link PayPal to Payoneer.Those who linked PayPal to Payoneer before 2014 can still transfer funds from PayPal to Payoneer in one business day)in 2010.The PayPal to Payoneer service ended in 2014 and holders of new Payoneer cards could not link to PayPal after that year.

In 2015 PayPal allowed withdrawals to Equity Bank first in 5 business days then from 2016 in 3 days
You think they were just going to pack up and leave??
The issue of PayPal withdrawal issues had to do with TransferTo.PayPal does not allow Third Party transactions but in the Kenyan case an exception was yo be made.They had forgotten to inform PayPal representatives that there was an agreement between PayPal and Safaricom to allow withdrawals via TransferTo.
As such many of those who did Mpesa Withdrawals had their accounts limited.After two weeks however,all limited accounts were restored.
During that whole time,those who withdrew via Equity Bank WERE NEVER affected.In fact Equity dropped charges to 1%of transaction if you withdrew above Kenya shillings 500,000.
As for PayPal to Mpesa. We can now do it from the MySafaricom app
This post was false.

More than 1 year after kamati ya roho mbaya started the thread, Paypal is still operating via Mpesa and Equity in Kenya.
And Tanzanians still cannot withdraw directly to their banks or mobile money.
LDC problems.

IMG_20190803_162608_542.jpg

Wakenya wengi humu hawaijui Tanzania,hawajafika hata kajiado
Muulizeni basi MK254 atawapatia info za kutosha kuhusu Tanzania ya sasa

Back
Top Bottom