MP to step down after 40 years as parliamentarian

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
Dodoma. Veteran MP Anna Abdallah yesterday announced her retirement from Parliament after sitting in the House for about 40 years.

Ms Abdalla who also chairs the Parliamentary Committee on Security and International Cooperation said she was contributing for the last time in Parliament but will continue advocating for women rights out of the House.

She advised political parties to consider women when they nominate candidates for the next general election.

"I'm happy that we have a few women in top positions of some political parties but we need to do more. In Parliament, the Speaker is a woman and two chairpersons are women and all are doing very well. This is an indication that women can do the same as men," she said as she passed a word of wisdom to women.

"I ask more women to compete in constituencies this time. Special seats are there for you but that is not enough," she said.

On the current budget, she said the government was still mum on her committee's proposal that funds for the construction of roads that are strategic for security, especially along borders, should be given to the ministry responsible for defence.

She also asked the government to add ration allowance for police officers from the current Sh6,000 per day to at least Sh8,000 to help the police perform their duty well.

Ms Abdallah who spoke until chairperson Lediana Mng'ong'o stopped her, called on Tanzanians and especially women to vote for the Proposed Constitution as it contains rights of women.

"This document has many good things about women and women should stand for it. It recognises us and I think it will take us further," she said

Back
Top Bottom