Mo Ibrahim: Viongozi Afrika hawako makini

Milindi

JF-Expert Member
Mar 3, 2009
11/16/2009
Na Sadick Mtulya

MMILIKI wa taasisi ya Mo Ibrahim amesema matatizo yote yanayoikumba nchi za bara la Afrika, ikiwemo vita, njaa na magonjwa, yanatokana na viongozi wake kutokuwa makini na kutofuata misingi ya utawala bora.

"Viongozi wetu wengi si makini na pia hawafuati misingi ya utawala bora na kutokana na haya ndio maana bara hili bado lipo nyuma kiuchumi na linasumbuliwa na matatizo ya njaa, magonjwa na vita," alisema mmiliki huyo, Mo Ibrahim jijini Dar es Salaam juzi katika hafla maalum ya muziki ikiwa ni sehemu ya maadalizi ya mkutano uliofanyika jana kwenye ukumbi wa Mlimani City.

Katika mkutano uliokutanisha viongozi mbalimbali kutoka nchi za bara la Afrika, pamoja na mambo mengine walijadili masuala mbalimbali yakiwemo ya mabadiliko ya hali ya hewa, kilimo na maendeleo ya nchi za Afrika.

Mo Ibrahim, ambaye ni milionea alifafanua kwamba viongozi wa nchi za Afrika ni wepesi wa kuzungumza lakini si watendaji katika kufanikisha mipango ya maendeleo ya wananchi wanaowaongoza.

Alisema kutokana na hali hiyo, Afrika inaonekana ni bara masikini na lenye matatizo mengi ikiwa ni pamoja na vita, njaa na magonjwa.

"Kutokana na rasilimali tulizonazo katika nchi zetu hapa Afrika, hakuna sababu ya kuwa nyuma kiuchumi na wala kukumbwa na matatizo ya magonjwa, vita na njaa. Lakini haya ni kutokana na kutotekelezwa ipasavyo na kwa vitendo mipango ya maendeleo inayokuwa inawekwa na viongozi wetu," alisema

Hata hivyo, Mo Ibrahim alisema bado kuna nafasi kwa viongozi wa Afrika kufanya jitihada zaidi kwa lengo la kufaniksha uchumi wa bara hili ili uachane na utegemezi kwa nchi za barani Ulaya, Amerika na Asia.

"Ni wakati sasa kwa viongozi na Waafrika kujiamini katika mipango yao na kuachana na tabia ya kutegemea kusaidiwa katika kila kitu," alisema tajiri huyo.

"Ni muhimu tukafikiria maisha ya baadaye ya watoto wetu yatakuwaje endapo hali itaendelea kama ilivyo sasa katika bara hili zuri na lililojaa mali."

Chanzo: Mwananchi

Ndugu wana jamii mimi kwa mtazamo wangu namuona hata yeye anashiriki kwa namna moja kupoteza umakini wa viongozi waafrika.

Mfano alikubali kununua TTCL kwa Bilioni 120 lakini akatoa nusu.Baadaye akageuka akasema mpaka hesabu zioneshe faida. Akasumbuana na Watanzania mpaka mahakama ya Dunia ya Biashara, Baadaye wakamalizana nje ya mahakama kwa ulaghai na ushawishi wake seikali ikapoteza pesa nyingi sana.Celtel ilianzishwa kama mali ya TTCL asilimia mia moja.

Kwa vile anajua viongozi wa Afrika sio waadilifu akawarubuni ati tugawane. Akachukua Celtel, TTCL wakabaki wameshangaa, Baadaye Akauza Celtel na mpaka leo ni matatizo kati ya ZAIN na TTCL juu ya mkataba wa miaka 25 (Zain wanamuuzia hisa zao serikali-naona kama balaa).

Je huyu ana uadilifu gani, Je wadau kuna mtu anajua historia yake mpaka kuwa milionea maana nasikia ni msudani. Naomba wana jamii tuelimishane, Je huyu ni mwadilifu kweli?

Anarusiwa kutoa maoni yake kuhusu utawala wa AFRIKA auonavyooo...

Tunachojifunza kutokana na historia ni kutokujifunza chochote ni kutokutokana nayo....

Ndo hivyo Mo naye ni mhanga wa HISTORIAA...

Naam hawako makini ndio maana anawatumia kuwini laifu!

The Mo Ibrahim Prize: Robbing Peter to pay Paul

Issa G Shivji

2007-11-01, Issue 326

http://pambazuka.org/en/category/features/44153

Printer friendly version

There are 8 comments on this article.

Issa_Shivji.jpg
“Mo Ibrahim’s prize for a retired African president which was awarded to Joachim Chissano of Mozambique was in my view an insult to the African people.” Issa Shivji raises a number of questions around the award such as how and what is “good governance” and why is it only applied to Africa? And most importantly “for which and whose democracy they are getting a prize”.

Punishment is to deter; often to take revenge. Reward is to encourage. Rewards can also be a recognition for outstanding, usually, individual achievements. Which acts are liable to punishment and which are rewarded depends on the dominant values of society. These can differ from society to society and from time to time within same society. Issues of democracy and dictatorship, of war and peace, of governance and state administration, do not fall within the realm of a system of punishment and rewards.

Of course, victorious powers recognise their war heroes and vanquished bury their martyrs with honour. But then heroes of the victor are mercenaries for the vanquished and the martyrs of the vanquished may be terrorists for the victor. In other words, the issues of war and peace are contentious issues and can only be understood in their historical and social context. And so are the issues of democracy and dictatorship. Therefore, it is naïve, if not mischievous, to award a person – moreover with a cash prize – for bringing peace or democracy to his country.

It is even worse to cite “good governance” as an achievement for awarding an individual president of a country. What is “good governance”? Who determines what is good and bad governance? What yardsticks are applied? And why are these yardsticks applied only to Africa? Why doesn’t any one award a Norwegian prime minister for good governance or include “good governance” conditionality to lend Mr. Bush assistance or fund Martin Athissari to advise Bush on good governance? (Remember Martin Athissari, funded by the World Bank, came to Tanzania to advise President Mkapa on good governance.)

The point about these rhetorical questions should be obvious. Mo Ibrahim’s prize for a retired African president which was awarded to Joachim Chissano of Mozambique was in my view an insult to the African people. First, it is belittling African people. Dictators and undemocratic rulers exist all over the world, including the West which has arrogated to itself the right to judge others as “good man” or punish them for being dictators (Saddam Hussein).

Despots and dictators are not a monopoly of Africa. African people, like other people elsewhere, have always struggled against them. If they have attained some success in these struggles, it is their collective achievement. Their success is not due to particular qualities of any single leader. Good leaders are as much a product of our societies as are the bad ones. It is for the people to decide who is a good or a bad leader and how to award a good one and punish a bad one. I certainly cannot imagine Mozambicans (or any African people for that matter) awarding a 5-million dollar prize to Mr. Chissano. First because Chissano’s goodness itself is, I am sure, a contentious issue in Mozambique. Secondly, Mozambican people, if at all, would have awarded their leader by including him in a list of honour or putting his picture on a postal stamp. And if they had 5 million dollars to spare, they would have probably built secondary schools to produce future good leaders rather than give it away to Chissano to “live a better life” and invest in business (which is what Chissano said in a BBC interview he would use the money for.)

The worst disappointment in the prize saga has been its uncritical and unqualified celebration by scribes and even academics and intellectuals. Since this prize to a retired president was for stepping down from power or “good governance’ or bringing democracy and peace to his country, it was expected that analysts would go beyond the superficial and the obvious to a deeper understanding and explanation of issues of war and peace and democracy and dictatorships in Africa. Before we celebrate, we must understand what it is that we are celebrating. Before we applaud this prize to Chissano we must understand the history, politics and forces which underpinned war and peace in Mozambique.

The people of Africa have been involved in a long struggle against war and for peace and democracy and the struggle continues. In this struggle, they are pitted against not only their own immediate rulers but also against the erstwhile colonial and imperialist powers supporting them. Our dictators were not simply made in Kinshasa (Mobutu) or Central African Republic (Bokassa) or Entebbe (Idi Amin) but also in Washington or Paris or London and Tel Aviv. The vicious war in Mozambique was not simply waged by RENAMO but fully supported and instigated by apartheid South Africa backed by the US and western powers. Apartheid South Africa also claimed the life of the liberation leader Samora Machel and his leading comrades.

Chissano took over from Samora and under the tutelage of Washington steered the neo-liberal course. It is under this new direction that the former freedom fighters like Chissano’s family and Gebuza and others (with some honourable exceptions) began accumulating wealth and became businessmen. Chissano’s son Nyimpine, a businessman, was implicated in the murder of a journalist Carlos Cardoso who was investigating the fraudulent disappearance of 14 million dollars from the Commercial Bank of Mozambique in 1996. The story of wealth accumulation by political leaders in Mozambique is not that different from what we have been witnessing and debating in Tanzania. It is even on a larger scale. In Tanzania Mwalimu’s ghost has had greater restraining power on vultures of wealth than Samora’s in Mozambique.

As with economics, so with politics. The opening up of space after one-party authoritarianism did not just come about on a silver platter. People in Tanzania, Mozambique and the rest of Africa struggled for it. But as usual the rulers and their imperialist backers pre-empted the struggle for real democracy by imposing their own truncated version of neo-liberal democracy

So, when our leaders receive prizes for their democratic achievements we should ask ourselves for which and whose democracy they are getting a prize. Are they getting the prize for a neo-liberal democracy under which the World Bank and “development partners” (read: developed predators!) impose privatization of national assets and resources; under which their diplomats pressurize our ministers and governments to sign utterly one-sided contracts with the likes of golden sharks; under which the parliament is literally ordered to pass laws which have been drafted by their consultants like the Mining Act, under which our political leaders in a free-for-all pandemonium overnight become “wajasiria mali” and bankers and big miners? Is this the democracy for which the peasants, workers, youth, and wamachinga fought? In short, before celebrating let us ask ourselves what are we celebrating and whose music we are dancing to.

Without such critical understanding, I am afraid, we can end up celebrating and legitimizing the shaming and ridiculing of the democratic struggles and achievements of our people.

Mr. Mo Ibrahim: you have made millions of dollars from the sweat and blood of the African people. If you want to return a few million to the people, build schools, dispensaries, and water wells in the south of your own country rather than giving them to Chisasanos of this world. Do not add insult to injury by robbing (poor) Peter to pay (rich) Paul.

© Issa Shivji.

* This article was first published in THE CITIZEN (Tanzania) in Saturday Palaver and is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author.

* Issa Shivji is one of Africa’s most radical and original thinkers and has written frequently for Pambazuka News. He is the author of several books, including the seminal Concept of Human Rights in Africa (1989) and, more recently, Let the People Speak: Tanzania down the road to neoliberalism (2006).

* Please send comments to editor@pambazuka.org or comment online at www.pambazuka.org

Readers' Comments

Let your voice be heard. Comment on this article.
I think Mr. Mo is a great man doing all this single handedly, maybe it is neccessery to say here that there are a lot of students sponcered by Mr. Mo in expencive university pursuing postgraduate studies. Qusestioning what is good governence is a worldwide academic issue and is an interesting question in this article, however what i want to say is that this have nothing to do with the good will of the rich man who created the only forum to look at the good side of Arican leaders. A pardigme shift from investing in critism to investing in appreciation.
Bisrat Girma, Graduate Student at AUC

If Mr. Mo really wanted to help Africa afford good governance, he'd have invested in education for there are so many needy and intelligent students that do not afford to go to college for they lack funds.

I think he's just paying his way so that he will end up lobbying for future deals in the areas that his corporation or family plans to invest. This prize has nothing to do with good governance but a strategic need to create some unshakable alliances and power circles.
Bata

Correct me if I’m wrong!

I heard even Mr Mkapa (Tanzania ex-President) was one of nominees of the award!

Right now, Mr Mkapa is a hate figure in Tanzania politics among ‘normal people’ [poor people] for a simple reason that he[Mkapa] was assumed to be ‘Mr Clean’ [a name branded by Mwl Nyerere] but he did mess a lot of things while he was in State House contrary to the name given to him [‘Mr Clean’].

Among other things, Mr Mkapa bought Kiwira coal mining for a cut down price while poor people he led continue to be poorer.

Some urged that the present soaring cost of electricity in the country, among other things, is contributed by this ‘dirty business’!

If it’s true, Mr Mkapa was one of nominees, then the whole process regarding this award underpins serious flaws anyone to see except the panel of the selectors.

Mzee Wauyagauyaga
Free Africa

I think this article raises several interesting points. While the gesture by Mo is noble, I believe it is the target beneficiary that is wrong. Honestly, do Chissano, Kikwete or Mugabe need to be given such millions when they are rich already. Why not say that sum goes to a project selected by the 'good president' than give it to him? If it was Mandela it could go to his charity projects. My point then is the money must go to projects selected by the former president and not individuals' pockets. They are too rich already to be given more.
Phithizela Ngcobo, MA Publishing student

Dear Readers,
In my view I think we have unfortunately placed undue emphasis on the wrong issue. The commentary by Issa Shivji was based on a critique of the idea itself and the parameters used for selecting a winner, not any personality as such.
Basically, I think its time we address real African problems, and stop chasing shadows. We often complain about the West meddling in our affairs in Africa, but at the same time we rely on western paradigms and yardstick in order to validate ourselves. In critical terms, good governance is nothing more than an IMF-World Bank imposition as a means of implemeting and safeguarding an adjustment package that wrecked most African economies. We must remember that most of the adjustment package in sub-Saharan Africa was implemented under military dictatorships and one-party states. Is this good governance?
Why should we accept these standards anyway? Who asseses Mr. Bush, Brown, Sarkozy or Angela Merkel for good governance? Who sets the standards? Definitely, its not Africans, but the citizen of these countries. So lets judge our leaders, if we must, based on our own criteria- on how much impact they have been able to make on the lives of ordinary people and what development agenda they have initiated. To do these we do not need any external yardstick.
The same thing goes for democracy. Whose democracy? What democracy? Can we safely conclude that the Chissano era in Mozambique was characterised by political inclusion? As we speak today, there are many poor people in Africa, who cannot even afford the basic things of life, even in Mozambique. Rather than enriching past presidents the more, Mr. Mo's goodwill can be extended to these people. Definitely such people exist even in his own country. We should stop insulting the sensibilities of Africans by tooing the imperialist line always.
I totally agree with Issa Shijvi: "let us ask ourselves what are we celebrating and whose music we are dancing to".
Godwin Onuoha, GSAA, Martin Luther University, Germany.

If a rich African say in Rwanda or Zimbabwe were to set up a Foundation and award prizes strictly to leaders of the North on Good Governance, will they accept it?
Trainers and Allied Workers Union

has it been president Benjamin Mkapa who got the award, would he (Prof Shivji) be in position to comment all these critics or because its Chisano who got it????

I would appreciate if he could comment on the weaknesses of those who were not selected!!!!
Stanley Ganzel- Radio Tanzania Dar es salaam

SOME COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR ARTICLES. DEAR SIRS, I AGREE WITH YOU IN SOME POINTS THAT YOU MENTIONS HERE. IS IMPORTANT TO BUILD NEWS SCHOOLS, WATER WELLS, HOSPITALS AND OTHERS MAIN INFRASTRUTURE TO AFRICAN PEOPLE END SPECIFFICALLY TO MOZAMBICANS. I HAVE BEEN VERY CRITICAL TO WAY WE OR THE CONCEPTION OF DEVELOPMENT HAVE BEEM APLLIED TO AFRICA AND MOZAMBICAN, BECOUSE WHAT I HAVE SEEN, IS SOME PEOPLE USUALLY RELATED TO POWER BECAME RICHES AND OTHERS MORE POORS. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT THE CRITERIOUS TO DEFINE GOOD GOVERNANCE IS NOT ALL CORRECT
I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU ON THREE SEVERAL POINTS:
a)THE PRIZE WAS NOT GIVEN TO CHISSANO, BECAUSE HE IS OR WAS A GOOD FATHER. THE ATITUDS OF YOUR SON COULD NOT BE MAIN POINT TO EVALUTION THE CHISSANO'S GOVERNANCE.YOU HAVE TO LOOK TO PEACE, DEMOCRACY. I KNOW THAT WE HAVE BIG PROBLEMS,BUT THE OPPURTUNITY TO LIVE FREE WITHOUT WAR AND CHANCE TO FIGTH TO YOUR SURVIVER IS BETTER THAN DO NOT HAVE ANY OPORTUNITY
c)
b)THE PRIZE IS SPECIFICALLY TO AFRICANS LEADERS, ITS MEANS SPECIFICALLY CONTEXT OF AFRICA. THE EUROPEAN LEADERS HAVE THEY ELEMENTS TO EVALUTIONS AND COMPESATIONS.
c)ITS LOOK LIKE YOU DO NOT SEE NOTHING TO GIVE TO CHISSANO THE PRIZE. JUST SOMEONE WHO NEVER DO NOTHING IS WHO NEVER IS WRONG. CHISSANO HAS ANY OTHERS MEN TOOK BAD DICISIONS, BUT WE HAVE MANY GOOD THINGS THAT COMES FROM CHISSANO'S TIME.
BRAZAO CATOPOLA

Dear All,

With due respect to Professor Issa Shivji, I am sorry to say that he is totally-off the point. I fully support Doctor Mohamed Ibrahim and what he is doing for this continent.

Friends, have we ever taken trouble to read throughly how he started CELTEL from the scratch and managed to bring it to the point of selling it for USD 3.4bn to the Kuwait Company, Zain? The Annual Nobel Prize also involves a lot of money to the winners---What is Professor Shivji saying on this?

Mo Ibrahim he is not an Angel and he will never be one. Instead of blamming him, we as Africans let us rally behind him and ensure that all our readers lead us in the right way. We are not supposed to be Arm-Chair Revolutionaries. I am not sure if Professor Shivji have ever read the Mo Ibrahim Index. Let him read it and come up again.

Along the same line, Mo Ibrahim can build those schools and dispensaries. It is a matter of putting before him a sound proposal and be ready to work with him.

Let us not forget what Comrade Chissano did to his country and the whole Continent of Africa.

Kwa sasa Professor Issa Shivji ni Professor wa Kigoda cha Mwalimu Nyerere in Pan-African Studies.

Tutashukuru sana akituambia nini hasa yeye na timu yake wanafanya kuhakikisha kuwa KIGODA cha Mwalimu kinajitegemea kifedha na kirasilimali watu ndani ya miaka michache ijayo badala ya kuendelea kuwa ombaomba kila mwaka.

Naomba kuwasilisha

Sabi Sanda
Dar es Salaam
Tanzania
16/11/2009
0787 53 53 23

Dear All,

With due respect to Professor Issa Shivji, I am sorry to say that he is totally-off the point. I fully support Doctor Mohamed Ibrahim and what he is doing for this continent.

Friends, have we ever taken trouble to read throughly how he started CELTEL from the scratch and managed to bring it to the point of selling it for USD 3.4bn to the Kuwait Company, Zain? The Annual Nobel Prize also involves a lot of money to the winners---What is Professor Shivji saying on this?

Mo Ibrahim he is not an Angel and he will never be one. Instead of blamming him, we as Africans let us rally behind him and ensure that all our readers lead us in the right way. We are not supposed to be Arm-Chair Revolutionaries. I am not sure if Professor Shivji have ever read the Mo Ibrahim Index. Let him read it and come up again.

Along the same line, Mo Ibrahim can build those schools and dispensaries. It is a matter of putting before him a sound proposal and be ready to work with him.

Let us not forget what Comrade Chissano did to his country and the whole Continent of Africa.

Kwa sasa Professor Issa Shivji ni Professor wa Kigoda cha Mwalimu Nyerere in Pan-African Studies.

Tutashukuru sana akituambia nini hasa yeye na timu yake wanafanya kuhakikisha kuwa KIGODA cha Mwalimu kinajitegemea kifedha na kirasilimali watu ndani ya miaka michache ijayo badala ya kuendelea kuwa ombaomba kila mwaka.

Naomba kuwasilisha

Sabi Sanda
Dar es Salaam
Tanzania
16/11/2009
0787 53 53 23
very useful...

Hi,All

I support Professor Issa Shivji,the old man is very right,who are these people to tell us this is right for Africa and this is wrong,this is a cultural imperialism and neo - colonialism.
We have african democracy can not BE the same as US democracy of pressurizing execution of Saddam Hussein.

we need to be careful with capitalists interest on african resources,giving us condinationalities on grants and loans , this can not be good governance,better invest on giving scholarship to poor african students to prepare future leaders who understand what is a real democracy to africans.

Elisante Yona

Sabi Sanda tell us how Mo Ibrahim became rich!In your response kindly refute this allegation:

Ndugu wana jamii mimi kwa mtazamo wangu namuona hata yeye anashiriki kwa namna moja kupoteza umakini wa viongozi waafrika.

Mfano alikubali kununua TTCL kwa Bilioni 120 lakini akatoa nusu.Baadaye akageuka akasema mpaka hesabu zioneshe faida. Akasumbuana na Watanzania mpaka mahakama ya Dunia ya Biashara, Baadaye wakamalizana nje ya mahakama kwa ulaghai na ushawishi wake seikali ikapoteza pesa nyingi sana.Celtel ilianzishwa kama mali ya TTCL asilimia mia moja.

Kwa vile anajua viongozi wa Afrika sio waadilifu akawarubuni ati tugawane. Akachukua Celtel, TTCL wakabaki wameshangaa, Baadaye Akauza Celtel na mpaka leo ni matatizo kati ya ZAIN na TTCL juu ya mkataba wa miaka 25 (Zain wanamuuzia hisa zao serikali-naona kama balaa).

Je huyu ana uadilifu gani, Je wadau kuna mtu anajua historia yake mpaka kuwa milionea maana nasikia ni msudani. Naomba wana jamii tuelimishane, Je huyu ni mwadilifu kweli?

SS Kigoda cha Mwalimu Nyerere is not an independent entity. It is an entity of - within - the University of Dar-es-Salaam (UDSM). And as far as I know UDSM is a public institution. Where should public institution get their money/funds from? From Mlimani City Investors? Donor Foundations? Or from the Public?

Being an entity within another entity does not mean that you are not morally oblidged to become independent financially. Remember Mwalimu stood firmly for Self-Reliance. Similarly, we will expect entities bearing his maiden name will as well in the long run stood for that.

During last year festivals their budget (KIGODA cha Mwalimu) was about TAS 40MN. As they did not have these funds, they had to ask for various donations from various organizations including NSSF, UDSM, BOT etc. Kwangu mimi hii ni aibu in the longrun. Hivi Mukandala alishindwaje kuwapa hizo shilingi milioni arobaini kwani hizo ni kama ada ya wanafunzi 50 tu kati ya wanafunzi zaidi ya 12,000 wa Chuo Kikuu cha Dar es Salaam.

Wakuu, KIGODA cha Mwalimu si jina dogo hata kidogo. Binafsi ningependa ifikie hatua KIGODA kiwe na ENDOWMENT FUND yake ya kama shilingi bilioni 5 ndani ya miaka mitatu ijayo. Kama Watanzania tunatakiwa kumsaidia Shivji na timu yake kufikia hapo. Njia mojawapo ni kuwashirikisha wadau muhimu na kufanya nao kazi kwa karibu. Kundi moja muhimu sana hapa ni Walimu wetu wa shule za Msingi na Sekondari nchini ambao ni zaidi ya 210,000. Hawa wakikubali kukichangia KIGODA cha Mwalimu shilingi 1,000 kila mwezi kila mmoja wao ndani ya mwaka mmoja habari ya utegemezi itatokomea gizani. Kama kweli KIGODA CHA MWALIMU (KCM) kinataka kwa dhati kabisa kuifikisha elimu ya Pan Africanism kwa wanafunzi wetu wa msingi na sekondari, basi hakina budi kufanya kazi kwa karibu sana na walimu wetu kupitia chama chao, CWT. Pia naomba mtembelee Ofisi ya KIGODA cha Mwalimu pale Mlimani mjionee wenyewe hali halisi.

Kuhusu Mohammed Ibrahim alivyofanikiwa kuwa tajiri, naomba u-google jina lake. Pia unaweza kwenda www.wikipedia.com:
Tusimbague DR. Mohammed Ibrahim kwani ni Mwafrika na ni Mzaliwa wa Sudan japokuwa ana uraia wa Uingereza pia.

SS nimeshamgoogle sana Mo Ibrahim na kusoma habari zake kwenye vitabu kadhaa. Ndio maana nimekuomba utoe maelezo yako kumtetea kuhusu hela zetu za TTCL. Jibu hoja ya mtoa mada hapo kuhusu jinsi alivyoitumia TTCL yetu kuanzisha Celtel!

Kuhusu Kigoda cha Mwalimu Nyerere nakubaliana na wewe kwa 99.9%. Hiyo 1% ni kuhusu CWT. Walimu tayari wanakatwa mshahara wao kwa ajili ya CWT. Na bado maisha yao ni magumu sana na Serikali inakalia malimbikizo ya mishahara na marupurupu yao. Rejea ripoti ya Living and Working Conditions of Teachers in Tanzania. UDSM inapaswa kukiendesha Kigoda kutoka na fedha zake - mbona kina MaVX ya kumwaga, Parking nyingi na vitega uchumi kibao kama vile Mlimani City?

Being an entity within another entity does not mean that you are not morally oblidged to become independent financially. Remember Mwalimu stood firmly for Self-Reliance. Similarly, we will expect entities bearing his maiden name will as well in the long run stood for that.

During last year festivals their budget (KIGODA cha Mwalimu) was about TAS 40MN. As they did not have these funds, they had to ask for various donations from various organizations including NSSF, UDSM, BOT etc. Kwangu mimi hii ni aibu in the longrun. Hivi Mukandala alishindwaje kuwapa hizo shilingi milioni arobaini kwani hizo ni kama ada ya wanafunzi 50 tu kati ya wanafunzi zaidi ya 12,000 wa Chuo Kikuu cha Dar es Salaam.

Wakuu, KIGODA cha Mwalimu si jina dogo hata kidogo. Binafsi ningependa ifikie hatua KIGODA kiwe na ENDOWMENT FUND yake ya kama shilingi bilioni 5 ndani ya miaka mitatu ijayo. Kama Watanzania tunatakiwa kumsaidia Shivji na timu yake kufikia hapo. Njia mojawapo ni kuwashirikisha wadau muhimu na kufanya nao kazi kwa karibu. Kundi moja muhimu sana hapa ni Walimu wetu wa shule za Msingi na Sekondari nchini ambao ni zaidi ya 210,000. Hawa wakikubali kukichangia KIGODA cha Mwalimu shilingi 1,000 kila mwezi kila mmoja wao ndani ya mwaka mmoja habari ya utegemezi itatokomea gizani. Kama kweli KIGODA CHA MWALIMU (KCM) kinataka kwa dhati kabisa kuifikisha elimu ya Pan Africanism kwa wanafunzi wetu wa msingi na sekondari, basi hakina budi kufanya kazi kwa karibu sana na walimu wetu kupitia chama chao, CWT. Pia naomba mtembelee Ofisi ya KIGODA cha Mwalimu pale Mlimani mjionee wenyewe hali halisi.

Kuhusu Mohammed Ibrahim alivyofanikiwa kuwa tajiri, naomba u-google jina lake. Pia unaweza kwenda www.wikipedia.com:
Tusimbague DR. Mohammed Ibrahim kwani ni Mwafrika na ni Mzaliwa wa Sudan japokuwa ana uraia wa Uingereza pia.
kuhusu ukata KIGODA cha Mwalimu wala sishangai kwani hata Nyerere Foundation ipo dhofulhali wakati Salim ni Mkiti..

Tatizoo watu wanaongoza hizi taasisi zenye jina la Mwalimu hawana uwezo kwa kuziendesha kisasa na kwa ufanisiiii..Ni aibu Nyerere Foundation inavyoongozwaa kwani Butiku amefanya kama ni mali yakeeee..

Na kosa hilo lipo kwenye KIGODA sasa kwani kuna watu wanateuliwa kuwa viongozii lakini hawana entrepreneurial mind ya kufanya taasisi iwe sustainable financialy na kuweza kuchangia sehemu kubwa ya maendeleoo ya jamiii..MAWAZO MGANDO NA UNAFIKII WA KUFANYA MAAMUZIII MAGUMU KWA WAKATI MUAFAKAAA...

Hatuwezi kuwa na Taasisi zenye Jina la Mwalimu kama Foundation yake ili hali haina mwelekeo zaidi ya upambe wa kisiasa na majunguuuuu yasiyo na tijaaa...
Wengi wa viongozi wa Taasisi hii ni sehemu ya serikali tuliyoo nayoo na wamechangia kwa kiasiii kikubwaa kutufikisha katika halii tuliyoo nayooo ya umaskiniiii...

Leo Butiku, Warioba wana jipya gani kiuongoziii hapa nchinii????Tutegemee nini kwenye maeneo waliyopoooooo????
Kuongozaa kwa nadharia bila vitendo na hangover za kuamini bado ni watawala...

kuhusu ukata KIGODA cha Mwalimu wala sishangai kwani hata Nyerere Foundation ipo dhofulhali wakati Salim ni Mkiti..

Tatizoo watu wanaongoza hizi taasisi zenye jina la Mwalimu hawana uwezo kwa kuziendesha kisasa na kwa ufanisiiii..Ni aibu Nyerere Foundation inavyoongozwaa kwani Butiku amefanya kama ni mali yakeeee..

Na kosa hilo lipo kwenye KIGODA sasa kwani kuna watu wanateuliwa kuwa viongozii lakini hawana entrepreneurial mind ya kufanya taasisi iwe sustainable financialy na kuweza kuchangia sehemu kubwa ya maendeleoo ya jamiii..MAWAZO MGANDO NA UNAFIKII WA KUFANYA MAAMUZIII MAGUMU KWA WAKATI MUAFAKAAA...

Hatuwezi kuwa na Taasisi zenye Jina la Mwalimu kama Foundation yake ili hali haina mwelekeo zaidi ya upambe wa kisiasa na majunguuuuu yasiyo na tijaaa...
Wengi wa viongozi wa Taasisi hii ni sehemu ya serikali tuliyoo nayoo na wamechangia kwa kiasiii kikubwaa kutufikisha katika halii tuliyoo nayooo ya umaskiniiii...

Leo Butiku, Warioba wana jipya gani kiuongoziii hapa nchinii????Tutegemee nini kwenye maeneo waliyopoooooo????
Kuongozaa kwa nadharia bila vitendo na hangover za kuamini bado ni watawala...

Natumaini unazungumzia uanzishwaji wa Celtel Tanzania. Ukiangalia sakata zima la TTCL na kilichotokea utangundua kuwa tatizo ni sisi na udhaifu wetu mkubwa katika NEGOTIATIONS. Hali ya namna hiyo ndiyo inajionyesha wazi katika sekta nyingine kama madini na nishati.

Nakubaliana nanyi kuwa Chuo Kikuu cha Dar es Salaam pamoja na wana Jumuiya wake wana wajibu wa kukiendesha KIGODA cha Mwalimu ili kukomesha tabia ya kuomba omba fedha kila wanapokuwa na shughuli mbalimbali. Natumaini Rwekaza na timu yake watalifanyia kazi suala hili. UDSM kwa ujumla wake ina Walimu wasiopungua 1127 na Wanafunzi zaidi ya 12,000. Naamini kila Mwalimu akiamua chini ya utaratibu maalum anaweza kukichangia KIGODA cha Mwalimu angalau shilingi laki moja kwa mwaka (toka kwa Walimu pekee watapata zaidi ya shilingi milioni 112.7).

Kwa upande wa Wanafunzi kila mmoja akichangia shilingi 1,000 kila mwezi KIGODA cha MWALIMU kitakuwa na uhakika wa kupata angalau shilingi milioni 144 kila mwaka toka kwa wanafunzi wa Chuo Kikuu Cha Dar es Salaam.

Ni kweli kuwa hali ya Walimu wetu wa Msingi na Sekondari si nzuri. Ila imani yangu ni kuwa bila kuwa karibu sana nao, KIGODA cha Mwalimu hakitaweza kuleta impact kubwa katika jamii yetu. Itawachukua miaka mingi sana kuweza kuwafikia Watanzania wengi iwapo hawatafanya kazi kwa karibu sana na CWT na kuwatumia Walimu wetu wa Msingi na Sekondari kama CHANGE AGENTS.

Issues of democracy and dictatorship, of war and peace, of governance and state administration, do not fall within the realm of a system of punishment and rewards.

Kwa hiyo Profesa Shivji anapinga mpaka Nobel Peace prize?

It is even worse to cite "good governance" as an achievement for awarding an individual president of a country. What is "good governance"? Who determines what is good and bad governance? What yardsticks are applied? And why are these yardsticks applied only to Africa? Why doesn't any one award a Norwegian prime minister for good governance or include "good governance" conditionality to lend Mr. Bush assistance or fund Martin Athissari to advise Bush on good governance? (Remember Martin Athissari, funded by the World Bank, came to Tanzania to advise President Mkapa on good governance.)

I am sure the good professor is just playing dumb to the fact that Africa is at the rock bottom of leadership, therefore we cannot compete about raising economic standards (data not available syndrome).The most basic we can do is track such things as democracy and good governance. If there is anything so surprising about this award in how ridiculously basic the categories are, the surprise should serve as a validation of how much this award is needed, if only for the PR effect.

Back
Top Bottom