Mmmmh, some researches though...

Kenyan

JF-Expert Member
Jun 7, 2012
A study of British children finds that slight height differences track with deprivation with children in poor neighborhoods standing up to two-thirds of an inch (1.6 centimeters) shorter than those in rich areas.

"The actual difference in height between the most and least deprived groups is small, but does highlight an ongoing inequality in population health which does need to be addressed," said lead author Caroline Hancock, a senior public health intelligence analyst at Public Health England.

"I feel that the data helps to highlight and monitor these issues and supports the work of health practitioners who are working to reduce inequalities across the population," she told Reuters Health by email.

She and her coauthors note in Archives of Disease in Childhood that 80 percent of height differences can be attributed to genetics and the remaining 20 percent to environmental factors like cigarette smoke, poor nutrition, infectious disease and psychological stress.

Hancock, who did the research as part of her master's thesis, said that environmental factors can be targeted and modified to improve children's health.

For the study, the researchers analyzed data from a national surveillance program of annual height and weight measurements of one million primary school children in England aged 4 to 5 and 10 to 11 years old.

They focused on data gathered between 2008 and 2013 on white, South Asian and black children in five different areas, categorizing the neighborhoods by socioeconomic factors, ranging from the least to the most deprived.

Because the five-year trends for children of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi descent were similar, the researchers combined them into one Asian group for the analysis and similarly combined black kids from African and Caribbean backgrounds into one black ethnic group.

http://citizentv.co.ke/lifestyle/rich-kids-are-taller-than-poor-kids-study-101812/

Kenyan its an interesting research imo. everything must be researched. Lakini nijuavyo huko UK black africans and carribeans have stark differences in educational achievement in spite of shared race. in fact within the africans wa UK the igbos stand out sharply making them the best academic achievers as a group whether black white or any asian. i bumped into this from nairaland some while back: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa - Culture - Nigeria

Have you seen the sizes of some middle and upper class kids in kenya? Hapa kwangu i make silent observations all the time i shall start one day with a problem statement conjecture and proceed to prove/disprove ; who knows what i may discover in that journey. for example is it true that urbanised persons are more promiscuous than their rural counterparts(my better half thinks so but she cant convince me)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice observations Quickly, tafadhali proceed na endeavor, I belive itakua very very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenyan its an interesting research imo. everything must be researched. Lakini nijuavyo huko UK black africans and carribeans have stark differences in educational achievement in spite of shared race. in fact within the africans wa UK the igbos stand out sharply making them the best academic achievers as a group whether black white or any asian. i bumped into this from nairaland some while back: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa - Culture - Nigeria

Have you seen the sizes of some middle and upper class kids in kenya? Hapa kwangu i make silent observations all the time i shall start one day with a problem statement conjecture and proceed to prove/disprove ; who knows what i may discover in that journey. for example is it true that urbanised persons are more promiscuous than their rural counterparts(my better half thinks so but she cant convince me)

We need more research in Africa conducted and published by Africans, why don't you approach ipsos synnovate or a statistics university department and ask them to conduct a survey to accept/reject your null hypothesis? Questions like yours lead people to start companies or write books or make concept movies to answer or address certain social issues, the fact that people ask these questions and don't follow through is one of the reasons why we are behind, instead we wait for world bank and the NGOs to conduct and publish surveys in our own back yard, when we could be doing it more effectively.

There are so many questions we could be researching on, but the problem is that Kenyans do not read, these statistics and surveys could inspire books, which when read inspire policy makers to make better decisions. For instance, we know many of our politicians make decisions without proper research which ends up wasting tax payers money, if we could develop a research culture more of the decisions made by policy makers would be more informed and effective. Urban planning, land allocation, education and syllabus, etc.

Back
Top Bottom