List of software product ideas, Feedback is welcomed

Keyboard Warrior

JF-Expert Member
Aug 5, 2014
Hey guys,

Below is a list of online software product ideas, feel free to do what ever you want with them.You don't have to create the next Facebook or anything to be successful kwenye mambo ya software, unahitajji tu ucreate a valuable product which people love and use daily.And i believe kwa tz kuna opportunities nyingi for something like that.

1. Online booking software kwaajili ya mabasi yakusafiria.
Tafuta mabasi ambayo watu wanayapenda kusafiria eg. Shabiby, Sumry, Abood etc,ukianza hata na mabasi 3-5 haina shida,and convince them kwamba wakilist mabasi yao in your website,watapata access to alot more customers (and who doesn't want that).
Why its needed: Itaongeza convenience kwa travellers.No longer will you need to go to the bus stand kwaajili yakubook basi au kuanza kutafuta contact zao ili uwapigie.
Revenue source: By commison e.g. tzs 500 - 1000 per ticket.
How would you market it: list/advertise on popular blogs and forums, or create a referral system kwamfano mtu akishare your website in social media hautachukua any commission au utapunguza the amount of commission utakayo mkata. Another option nikupay a social influencer a tweet au apost a pic on their instagram kwamba ametumia your system ili kubook for their travel or anything like that.

2. A daily deal site, something like groupon.
Businesses need more customers and what better way than to provide them with a platform for listing their deals. Same kama with the booking software, tafuta places ambapo watu wanapenda kushop, eat etc. List like 5 - 10 places in the beginning.
Why its needed: People a looking for more ways to save.
Revenue source: By commision e.g. tzs 700 - 1000 or 1% - 2% per coupon.

3. An online learning platform, think lynda,coursera, udemy etc
Get people who are really good at what they do and have them prepare a course/workshop or anything of that sort which will be taught through your platform. You can even have an option of someone getting an e-certificate at the completion of the course.
Why its needed: People are looking for more ways to learn specific skills and what better way than to learn at the comfort of their home.
Revenue source: revenue split, e.g you get 30% and the course creator gets 70% for each payment of the course.

4. Online budgeting tool and app.
Why its needed:
People are looking for better ways to track their expenses, save and manage their personal finance.
Revenue source: banks, micro-finance firms and the likes advertise on your platform.

4. Blogs, forums and the likes
And no hatuhitaji another blog about udaku or anything like that,there are already enough of them. What we need is blogs and forums which focus on specific niches eg. tech, business, kilimo etc.One thing to remember is that an online publishing platform e.g forums takes a while to mature so don't expect to be the next jamii forums after only six months of opening your site.
Why its needed: People who share common interests are looking for a place to connect and share ideas.
Revenue source: Advertising, selling memberships etc.

5. An online accounting tool for small businesses.
People are looking to move away from the repetitive task of recording their accounting through books or things of that sort. And if they use any software,its either expensive, too complicated or requires further learning.
Why its needed: small businesses are looking for simple non-complicated ways to manage their accounting.
Revenue source: a small fee to access your tool per month.

Anyways those are just a few of the ideas that i have at the moment, feel free to share with the rest of us if you have any other ideas.And also don't be scared of competition, it just means their is demand for that type of product.What you need is to focus on your product and make your customers happy.

Remember just having an idea is not enough, execution matters and how easy it is to use your product is what's going to make your product successful.
You can have a great idea, but if its poorly executed nothing great will come off it.

**A very important thing that software product creators wanasahau sana is; talk to your potential customer.Mfano nataka kutengeneza a software ambao itawasaidia HR to manage employees, a bad move(which will basically mean to shoot myself in the foot) is to just go create the software and present the final product kwa potential customer.
Kinacho takiwa kifanyike instead ni go talk to your potential customer e.g i might call my friend who works as a HR,and ask him/her if i made a software what features would he/she like that would help her/him manage employees easier.This will help me know what features to include in the software and what not to include.Ukifanya hivyo, it can be a difference between creating a software that alot of people use or a product that no one uses.

Once again sorry for the huge wall of text.I really believe kwenye mambo ya software kuna huge demand na potential in tz, but it seems initiative iko slow.

Opinions are warmly welcomed, what are some software products that you'd like to see be made au can you share with us any software product made by Tanzanians that you'd like more people to know about.

Keyboard Warrior 1,2 & the last one are feasible here in Tanzania,i'm not really sure about the other two as an online training tool will require a lot of investment in equipment and quality trainers(which we still lack) and then there's language, if you want to create swahili courses then you need proper translations, if you only focus on the local market (Tanzanians are lazy when it comes to learning) and focusing on the international market you will have to compete with the likes of lynda.com, tutsplus, treehouse etc etc, which is tough.

the online booking is very doable, you just need to create a good platform, enabling mobile payments will make it even more appealing, i was actually discussing this with a friend a few months ago and the only problem we thought of is how to avoid conflicts between those who buy tickets online and those buying at the office (maybe they(the bus owners) force all tickets to be sold through the online system, i don't know but this is also something that can be solved)

the accounting software can also be done, ushahidi(in kenya) created one called uhasibu(which i think was the project that gave birth to PESAPI(the unofficial mpesa payment API)).

A daily deal site is something that can work in Tanzania(i will actually be working on a similar project from december in Kenya)

Last edited by a moderator:
Culture ya kufanya vitu online bado. Ingawa inaanza taratibu na uwepo wa servicea nyingi online ni muhimu ili kusaidia kuongeza mwamko wa kutumia online servicea.

Kingine bana ni ukanjanja wetu unawaogipesha watu. Mtu anataka aende mpaka kituoni akague gari ndo akate ticket. Utadhani yeye ni trafiki. Lakini bongo huchelewi kukatishwa kwenye luxury baadae ukaletewa DCM haina hata vioo.

Pili kuna incentive kubwa ya kufanya vitu offline. Mfano kwenye basi kila mmoja ananunua ticket kwa bei yake, ingawa wote mnaenda sehemu moja. Labour cost iko chini, watu hawana kazi so time is not money to us. Na mambo mengine kama hayo.

Keyboard Warrior 1,2 & the last one are feasible here in Tanzania,i'm not really sure about the other two as an online training tool will require a lot of investment in equipment and quality trainers(which we still lack) and then there's language, if you want to create swahili courses then you need proper translations, if you only focus on the local market (Tanzanians are lazy when it comes to learning) and focusing on the international market you will have to compete with the likes of lynda.com, tutsplus, treehouse etc etc, which is tough.

the online booking is very doable, you just need to create a good platform, enabling mobile payments will make it even more appealing, i was actually discussing this with a friend a few months ago and the only problem we thought of is how to avoid conflicts between those who buy tickets online and those buying at the office (maybe they(the bus owners) force all tickets to be sold through the online system, i don't know but this is also something that can be solved)

the accounting software can also be done, ushahidi(in kenya) created one called uhasibu(which i think was the project that gave birth to PESAPI(the unofficial mpesa payment API)).

A daily deal site is something that can work in Tanzania(i will actually be working on a similar project from december in Kenya)

Kwenye situation ya online learning platform,i was thinking of focusing on the Tanzanian market but yeah i agree with you,it will be really hard to convince alot of Tanzanians to try to pay for such a platform which will lead to it just being unsustainable.

I believe there is demand for the online booking software, a proposed solution would be in the beginning in order to avoid conflict between customers who buy tickets online and at the bus office, you can have the bus owners only allocate a max of 10 seats in each bus which will be listed through your site.(and later increase the number of seats listed, as the platform continues to grow).

took a look at the uhasibu software you mentioned, its actually pretty good.

It seems the startup community in Kenya is quite vibrant, more than in tz(or maybe its just me).What do you think could be done to help its counterpart(Tz)? Cause its obvious we are lagging behind.

Culture ya kufanya vitu online bado. Ingawa inaanza taratibu na uwepo wa servicea nyingi online ni muhimu ili kusaidia kuongeza mwamko wa kutumia online servicea.

Kingine bana ni ukanjanja wetu unawaogipesha watu. Mtu anataka aende mpaka kituoni akague gari ndo akate ticket. Utadhani yeye ni trafiki. Lakini bongo huchelewi kukatishwa kwenye luxury baadae ukaletewa DCM haina hata vioo.

Pili kuna incentive kubwa ya kufanya vitu offline. Mfano kwenye basi kila mmoja ananunua ticket kwa bei yake, ingawa wote mnaenda sehemu moja. Labour cost iko chini, watu hawana kazi so time is not money to us. Na mambo mengine kama hayo.

Haha, you bring up good points especially the labor cost one.

If you don't mind me asking, unafikiri nini kifanyike ili watanzania wa adopt culture yakufanya vitu online?
according to sattistics zinaonyesha kwamba internet users in tz mwaka 2012 there were about 6+ mil(which is good but we could do better), and about 90% wanaprefer facebook, 3.5% wanatumia for reading purposes, and the rest is miscellaneous activities.

Hiyo ya kwanza mtu akiwa serious ina mtoa tena angeweza kupata na access ya malipo kwa mobile money service ingekuwa safi ki ukweli disturbance za stand wengi hatupendi ila utafanyaje. Waliwahi ku implement huu mpango wa kubook online TABOA sasa sijui waliishia wapi labda tusubiri DART ikianza na wao wata adopt

It seems the startup community in Kenya is quite vibrant, more than in tz(or maybe its just me).What do you think could be done to help its counterpart(Tz)? Cause its obvious we are lagging behind.

Well for starters we are lazy(very lazy) everybody wants shortcuts and the blogspot culture really got into us, which is a shame. I won't go into details but the these are also reasons we are behind:- lack of morals & wordpress/joomla/(actually all theme based php CMSs) also played a big role, as a result 99% of web developers in Tanzania don't even know how to code.

If you go to Nairobi looking for a Wordpress developer you'll get a guy who really knows wordpress inside out, if you go to Dar, everybody just downloads ready made templates(by everybody i mean everybody).

Well for starters we are lazy(very lazy) everybody wants shortcuts and the blogspot culture really got into us, which is a shame. I won't go into details but the these are also reasons we are behind:- lack of morals & wordpress/joomla/(actually all theme based php CMSs) also played a big role, as a result 99% of web developers in Tanzania don't even know how to code.

If you go to Nairobi looking for a Wordpress developer you'll get a guy who really knows wordpress inside out, if you go to Dar, everybody just downloads ready made templates(by everybody i mean everybody).

Definitely agree with you on that one, this blogspot/cms world thing really took a hit on us. The only thing people think about is starting a blog, nothing new or innovative.

Templates, templates, templates these will be the death of us everywhere you look it just makes websites look alike.

Laziness is what makes us start complaining e.g. the all so common "Kenyans are taking our jobs" , they are getting such job opportunities because they actively go out and look for them + once they get them , they really put their all into it. While us Tanzanians we just want thing to be fed to us(not all but most) , we don't have morals and good work ethics.The world isn't what it used to be , you need to network with people, fight for what you want,be aggressive inorder to succeed.

Hiyo ya kwanza mtu akiwa serious ina mtoa tena angeweza kupata na access ya malipo kwa mobile money service ingekuwa safi ki ukweli disturbance za stand wengi hatupendi ila utafanyaje. Waliwahi ku implement huu mpango wa kubook online TABOA sasa sijui waliishia wapi labda tusubiri DART ikianza na wao wata adopt

ni kweli watu wanataka convenience, mtu hataki apoteze muda wake aanze kuhangaika standi ili tu akafanye a simple task ya kubook basi.Tena such a software ni rahisi sana kuimarket since kuna demand for such a thing. So yeah with the right execution itakuwa so successful.

Mfano:
kwa kuanzia ukaconvince mabasi 5 ya list seat angalau 10 each, kila siku through your platform.
na commision unayochukua kwa kila seat ni tzs 1000.

5 x 10 = 50 seats listed through your website per day.
50 X 1000 = 50,000 revenue daily
50,000 x 30 = tzs 1,500,000 revenue per month

obviously the above ni hypothetical na pia haifactor in vitu kama expenses yakuhost your platform etc. Tuseme tukatumia 500,000 kwa ajili ya expenses ya kurun your business e.g marketing and so on.Unabakiwa na tzs 1,000,000.

Still a million ni alot as a side income unayoearn.Sasa imagine ukaongeza amount ya mabasi unayo list through your platform. Once again with the right execution this thing has potential.

Great ideas.

You can start with bringing cool stuffs for our smartphones, every move starts with phones. Tanzanians are kinda lazy in online studies. Most of us are busy with social networking, bring something attached in social networks

Good ideas,

gave us an opportunity to think beyond the comfort of our cubical; i am hungry to get to network with people who think differently

Hey Dude. Impressive stuff. We have the same kind of thinking. The first idea I have thought about it. Can you pm me tuongee vizuri mzee. We can execute some of the projects

hii mada nimeipenda sana dzain soon tutaanza kuona wakina alibaba we2

Back
Top Bottom