Kenya ranked among most unequal societies


N

nomasana

JF-Expert Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
966
Likes
236
Points
60
N

nomasana

JF-Expert Member
Joined Aug 14, 2009
966 236 60
Kenya has been ranked among the most unequal societies in the world, indicating that steady growth that the country realised in the past five years has done little to bridge the wide gap between the rich and the poor.

A new report by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on the quality of life across the globe says up to 60 per cent of Kenyans live in poor conditions with no access to quality education and health services, while a further 23 per cent are on the borderline of poverty.

Kenya ranked 103 in the list of inequality out of the total 169 countries surveyed – making it the 66th most unequal country in the world.

The finding is part of this year’s Human Development Index (HDI) – which uses a wide range of parameters such as life expectancy, access to clean water and the number of years spent in the pursuit of formal education to measure the standard of living in every country.

The HDI report shows that the quality of life for Kenyan citizens has been diluted in the past five years, pushing the country’s standing in the community of nations down one position to 128 from its ranking in 2005.

This outcome is expected to renew the intensity of a protracted debate over the distribution of the wealth Kenya has made in the past six years of steady economic growth.

Though the standard of living report is released annually, this year’s is the first to include the measure of inequality—adjusted index that ranks countries on the basis of efforts they have made to spread wealth among their citizens.
But despite its poor ranking in the inequality list, Kenya still finished ahead of all the EAC member states in the overall measure of HDI.

Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda finished in the bottom quarter of the list in positions 143, 148 and 152 respectively.

Distribution of benefits of economic growth has been one of Kenya’s biggest challenges in its quest for long term prosperity and stability putting the suitability of the trickle-down economics that President Kibaki has used since coming to power under intense scrutiny.

Kenya’s economy expanded from Sh1.17 trillion in 2005 to Sh1.39 trillion last year, but an estimated 38 per cent of the wealth remains in the hands of 10 per cent of the population, leaving 90 per cent of the citizens to share out the rest.

The landscape gets even more skewed when viewed from the bottom end of the pyramid where the poorest 10 per cent of the population control only 1.8 per cent of the national wealth.

This level of income inequality has pushed 86 per cent of Kenyans into poor living conditions while causing serious obstacles to accessing health and education – and ultimately hurting Kenya’s score on key development indicators.

The finding on inequality only confirms the yawning gap between the haves and have-nots across the country linked to high unemployment rates, failed policy interventions, and high of corruption on government that diverts large sums of public resources meant to lift those at the bottom of the pyramid from poverty.


“A number of policy interventions like youth empowerment programmes and land reforms that needed to spur growth in key agricultural sector have either failed or are yet to be implemented,” said Prof Joseph Kieyah, an analyst at the Kenya Institute of Public Policy Research and Analysis (Kippra).

read more: Business Daily:  - Corporate News |Kenya ranked among most unequal societies
 
The Quonquerer

The Quonquerer

JF-Expert Member
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
781
Likes
2
Points
0
The Quonquerer

The Quonquerer

JF-Expert Member
Joined May 14, 2009
781 2 0
regardless of tanzania ranking, they shouldn't be flocking to tanzania for their survival...we know where our strength lies...nyang'au unwelcome!
 
Smatta

Smatta

JF-Expert Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
2,351
Likes
291
Points
180
Smatta

Smatta

JF-Expert Member
Joined Nov 5, 2008
2,351 291 180
regardless of tanzania ranking, they shouldn't be flocking to tanzania for their survival...we know where our strength lies...nyang'au unwelcome!
hahahahahahahah.. slaa mpaka kieleweke, utachekwa ndugu yangu... lollerskates
 
N

nomasana

JF-Expert Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
966
Likes
236
Points
60
N

nomasana

JF-Expert Member
Joined Aug 14, 2009
966 236 60
hahahahahahahah.. slaa mpaka kieleweke, utachekwa ndugu yangu... lollerskates
"slaa mpaka kieleweke" LOLEST!!!!

achana na huyu fruitie
 
Njowepo

Njowepo

JF-Expert Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
9,392
Likes
467
Points
180
Njowepo

Njowepo

JF-Expert Member
Joined Feb 26, 2008
9,392 467 180
Naona Tz ndo kimbilio lao na kiingereza chao.
Alafu wakija uku wanajidai kumbe uko kwao hali tete
 

Forum statistics

Threads 1,237,048
Members 475,401
Posts 29,276,590