Kenya plans to start building a nuclear power plant at a cost of $5bn by 2021

elbarik

JF-Expert Member
Jul 5, 2016
Kenya plans to begin constructing its first nuclear power plant at a cost of $5 billion by 2021 as the country seeks to bring down the cost of electricity.

An unreliable and expensive power supply is cited by business as a deterrent to investment in East Africa’s biggest economy. The nuclear plant, due for completion in 2027, will add 1,000 megawatts, according to the nation’s Nuclear Electricity Board’s acting Chief Executive Officer Collins Gordon Juma.

The nation generates about 2,299 megawatts of electricity, mainly from geothermal wells and hydro-electricity dams, according to the Energy Regulatory Commission. It intends to increase capacity to 6,766 megawatts by 2020.

The government has finished a grid analysis and is now carrying out a feasibility study, Juma said in an interview. It will invite construction bids after settling on a suitable technology and on the site. The government is considering both public-private partnerships and government-to-government agreements as financing options, he said.

“When we talk of 1,000 megawatts, we are talking half of the capacity we have right now in the country,” Juma said the coastal city of Mombasa on Tuesday. “It is very expensive, so we are looking at several funding options. We are speaking to various governments.”

Funding Options

Kenya and South Korea signed agreements to collaborate on designing, constructing and operating nuclear reactors when the African nation’s energy secretary, Charles Keter, visited the Asian country in September. Kenya is seeking to build a 4,000-megawatt facility by 2033.

Nuclear power would lower the cost per unit to about 4-6 U.S. cents per kilowatt-hour, Juma said. The country is trying to wean itself off diesel-generated electricity that costs about 38 cents per kilowatt-hour.

Kenyan power consumers pay an average of 18.7 U.S. cents per kilowatt-hour, compared with 9 cents in neighboring Tanzania and 3 cents in Ethiopia, African Development Bank data show.

Source: Kenya Plans First Nuclear Power Plant at $5 Billion Cost

can u afford one? hav u got the financing? hehe! stop playing tanzania is like a toddler to Kenya my friend

Haha, I can feel your shame from here.
Let me ask you the same question, does Kenya have cash in hand to build nuclear plant, no they will borrow. And what make you think that we can't afford to build one, with our money or borrowed money?

Haha, I can feel your shame from here.
Let me ask you the same question, does Kenya have cash in hand to build nuclear plant, no they will borrow. And what make you think that we can't afford to build one, with our money or borrowed money?
both countries will have to borrow to finance such a project...however, there is no denying the influence that Kenya has in attracting financing of this nature which I believe when compared to Tanzania's is merely childs play. as a matter of fact, it is high time Tanzanians stop comparing themselves to Kenyans and Kenya as a whole...hamtoshi mboga.....to put it simply..we are certainly not on the same level...try Uganda or Somalia

both countries will have to borrow to finance such a project...however, there is no denying the influence that Kenya has in attracting financing of this nature which I believe when compared to Tanzania's is merely childs play. as a matter of fact, it is high time Tanzanians stop comparing themselves to Kenyans and Kenya as a whole...hamtoshi mboga.....to put it simply..we are certainly not on the same level...try Uganda or Somalia

I could’ve understood you if you added a little bit substance, rather than mere speculation that Kenya is bigger than everyone in EAC which we all know that isn't the case. While other are growing, Kenya is contracting. I’ll let you do the research on GDP, unemployment, FDI, external debt, internal debt, household debt, food security you can even add arable land.
Tanzania can borrow even though we refuse to be push into lenders honey trap so called “credit rating”. While all the alarm bells have been raised on the level of Kenya borrowing, the investors have started to worry if Kenya will afford to pay them back.

UN report warns on Kenya's rising external debt portfolio

This is what scares the traditional Kenya investors.
https://qz.com/707954/china-now-owns-more-than-half-of-all-of-kenyas-debt-2/

And who's guilty?
Jubilee heavy borrowing pushes Kenya's foreign debt to Sh3.2 trillion

Hiyo ni bla bla Kenya haiwezi na haina uwezo wa kujenga Nuclear power plant ndani ya miaka 5, forget about it!
Sawa hvi ndivyo Geza alikuwa akisema
Kabla Thika ianze ika tendeka

Kabla SGR ianze pia ndio hyo inaisha

Uwezo tunao shida ni is it a viable option kama kuna Geothermal??

There are 1200 kenyans studying Nuclear science in China France Slovakia SKorea Russia USA and SAfrica

So usianze ubishi wa Utoto kama unapinga kitu pinga kiustaarabu

I think by now u should know Kenya Spending 5bn$ on a single project sio kitu cha kushangaza Labda Tanzania mtashangaa

By 2020 kenyas Budget itakuwa 31bn$ Mark
Sai Tuko 24bn$

Tanzania mko 12bn$
Ethiopia 9bn$
Uganda 8bn$
Rwanda 2bn$

We outspend The Region Hata mki include Somalia na SS

so wacha kupinga kiuwana Unless wewe ni Mkenya!!

Back
Top Bottom