Eronda
JF-Expert Member
- Dec 16, 2025
- 837
- 478
The Kanungu district engineer, January Silangi Mugaye, is reportedly on the run after Kankoko bridge collapsed barely three months after its completion, triggering investigations into alleged shoddy workmanship and misuse of public funds.
The bridge, located in Kanyashande village, Kihembe sub-county along the Kihembe–Butogota–Bwindi road, was constructed by the Kanungu district works department at a cost of Shs 40 million.
However, a large section of the bridge gave way last week following heavy rainfall, cutting off transport along the route. Denis Tumukunde, the LC III chairperson of Kihembe sub-county, said residents had welcomed the construction of the bridge, hoping it would permanently solve the long-standing challenge of crossing River Kankoko.
He said the community was shocked when the newly completed structure partially collapsed after only a few months of use.
“The bridge had given people hope that transport challenges had finally been resolved, but now we are back to where we started,” Tumukunde said, attributing the collapse to poor workmanship.
Kanungu deputy resident district commissioner (RDC) Gaddie Rugaaju Ahimbisibwe blamed the collapse on substandard construction, alleging that the district engineer and the construction team used old, rusty culverts instead of new ones.
Rugaaju further alleged that the contractor used substandard Y6 and Y10 reinforcement bars in the retaining walls and mixed cement in inadequate proportions, leaving the structure too weak to withstand heavy rains.
Source: Observer